Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fedorov#91

The Smartphone Thread

If you're currently an AT&T user... Samsung Captivate. It's a beauty. If that phone was out when I was waiting on an iPhone 4, I would have gotten it instead. I really could care less about the iPhone 4.

I went to the AT&T store today to check out the Captivate. it was alright, but I decided Id wait for the iPhone. I ordered the Palm Pixi off of ATTs site for free, and then when an iPhone comes in within 30 days, I can just return the Palm.

ha why?

You really shouldn't bend a return policy like that. If everyone started doing what you are trying to do those amazing return policies will go away... And when someone actually NEEDS to return a phone they will get screwed over...

I understand the appeal of bending a return policy, but if you think about everyone else you shouldn't do it...

I'm normally all about being an honest consumer but most cell phone store employees make sure to remind you "remember, you can always just bring it back in within 30 days" they know the policy they have in practice.

You really shouldn't bend a return policy like that. If everyone started doing what you are trying to do those amazing return policies will go away... And when someone actually NEEDS to return a phone they will get screwed over...

I understand the appeal of bending a return policy, but if you think about everyone else you shouldn't do it...

I understand what your saying. But if I like the palm enough Ill keep it, and use my moms upgrade for the iPhone.I normally wouldnt "take advantage" of a policy like this, but they say if you want a different phone, or want to change for any reason, you're free to return it within 30 days.

From what I understand, that sort of behavior is encouraged by the reps in store. They tried to push the 3gs on me for a few weeks until my iphone 4 came in...I just told them that I would wait for the iphone4, not a big deal.

Zach

Say what you will, it's still the most elegant OS out there by a long shot.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/31/palm-puts-webos-2-0-sdk-into-limited-release-starting-today/

Not gonna lie JR, Im loving webOS so far! The multitasking is so much better than that of the iPhone. Its so simple. I dont know if I can leave the iPhone, but I'm definitely considering keeping the Pixi or swapping it for the Pre

edit: the only thing that sucks is there are an incredibly low number off apps on the app store.

For the Android guys go check out Angry Birds. One of the more popular mobile games out there. They were doing beta testing for those who signed up, but due to overwhelming number of responses they had to release the beta in the market. Its a good time killer.

Not sure what's going on with Android 2.2 on the Droid X, but it has NOT been running smooth at all since I updated. Service keeps bugging in and out, text messages are NOT sending, internet is slow as ever.

Not sure what's going on with Android 2.2 on the Droid X, but it has NOT been running smooth at all since I updated. Service keeps bugging in and out, text messages are NOT sending, internet is slow as ever.

really? hmmm, i pulled it this morning about 4am. its been great. Smooth. Quick. No problems here. maybe reboot? battery pull? maybe factory reset?

I heard that they may have snuck another update in right after froyo went out. Can you pull a new update? sorry to hear this...

really? hmmm, i pulled it this morning about 4am. its been great. Smooth. Quick. No problems here. maybe reboot? battery pull? maybe factory reset?

I heard that they may have snuck another update in right after froyo went out. Can you pull a new update? sorry to hear this...

I'm hoping that it might have just been where I was at at the time. Seems to be running smoothly now. Haven't had any failed texts or loss of service.

I want a new phone, but I am kind of ignorant to the new phone technology. I currently have Sprint, and am debating on upgrading to the Evo 4G, or jumping to the iPhone bandwagon. I very rarely use it as an actual phone, moreso a mobile internet and text machine.

Help me out: what would you recommend, and please tell me why. In layman's terms! :tongue:

I want a new phone, but I am kind of ignorant to the new phone technology. I currently have Sprint, and am debating on upgrading to the Evo 4G, or jumping to the iPhone bandwagon. I very rarely use it as an actual phone, moreso a mobile internet and text machine.

Help me out: what would you recommend, and please tell me why. In layman's terms! :tongue:

Android phones (evo 4g) require a more tech savvy consumer. But it's an amazing phone that can pretty much do anything you need of it to. The iPhone is a great all around consumer phone that is designed for the average consumer. It can't do everything, but what it does do, it does very well. Also, itunes and the app marketplace is very easy to use to sync and manage your data. However, if you want to do a lot of browsing, the evo 4g has a larger more useful screen. I'd recommend going to the stores and play with each phone to see which you like better.

While on the topic of Tablets:

• Motorola Stingray tablet in Q1 of 2011. Now this is interesting. We'd previously thought the Stingray would be a smaller tablet, but it now seems it'll be a full 10 inches with Android 3.0 Gingerbread, 16GB of on-board storage, and Tegra 2. Oh, but that's not the best part: it'll also be "hardware upgradeable to LTE," initially launching with CDMA alone. Whether that means you'll need to purchase and insert some sort of module or something, we're not exactly sure.
  • The Stingray tablet has always been a 10″ tablet. It will run Google's custom Android tablet OS which has not been confirmed yet to be called "Gingerbread" and could still be "Honeycomb." Q1 is when you should expect this though. We also fully expect this to carry the "Droid" name when finalized.

The LTE mentioned is Verizon's 4G. This thing is gonna rock.

How come there are 4g phones when the network is only 3g? Something to ponder.

I've heard from my geek daughter that RIM has changed their policy on apps, so you should start to see a greater variety of apps and much less expensive.

Oh, and she just got the new Blackberry (was counting the days til it released in Canada) and is in love with it.