Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fedorov#91

The Smartphone Thread

UK have annoucned it.

out in nov 8th

For those who want an accurate cost analysis, the overall price of having the phone will be a MINIMUM of £899.

The contract is a minimum of £35 per month (200 mins n 200 texts) for 18 months minimum = £630

The phone is £269

Total cost = £899

we got ripped off!!!

so about $1800 for 18 months!! with out the extra costs!

Yes, but how much would the other carriers cost for similar data/text minutes? I've been comparing to my existing carrier (Verizon) and found the iPhone's upfront cost is higher, but the monthly cost is about $20 to $30 less.

you say it like you dont have to pay for monthly fees with other carriers. I dont care if you get a free cell phone, your still paying carrier charges. In the US the data/voice charges are actually cheaper than with other carriers.

I don't care how much you love apple, $100 a month excluding extra fee's is WAY to much to charge for just a glorified data phone.

Unless my math is off, I think the iPhone costs less over time.

900 minutes with an iPhone is $79.99 per month, while 900 minutes for a Blackberry on Verizon is $99.99 per month. The iPhone will cost $399 upfront, while the Blackberry will likely cost $199 upfront. Thus, the iPhone starts to save money after 10 months, and would cost $280 less over the two-year contract.

federov,

get a sony ericsson p1i. touch screen, expandable memory, awesome qwerty kepad, 3.2mp cam, wifi, awesome phone, if you wait a bit the w960i will be coming out; pretty much the same phone with walkman capabilities and 8gb of internal storage.

oh and i think you can unlock the iphone by yourself for free with software

I dunno. From what I read, there's some thought that Apple could close the loophole in their code with the next software update, since the kid posted on the Web how he broke the AT&T exclusivity.

I have a phone that works fine, so i got the iTouch iPod, which has everything I wanted, including wi-fi. Plus, my phone has a camera on it.

i just unlocked my iphone a few days ago here in canada

works perfectly fine, youtube works and everything

i have been promp to update to the new software...i just don't do it until there is a new unlocking for the new version available

it's a great phone, if there's a WiFi hot spot it's great!

love everything about the iphone....and coming from a mac background, i appreciate it more than say a windows based user

You didnt buy the internet (Edge) with your plan?

i don't necessarily need it because most of the time i'm either at school, home or work....i prety much will always have WiFi.

but yes, i can sign up for the EDGE network with rogers up here in Canada

I have had the iPhone for over a week now and the keyboard is still driving me nuts. It it worth getting rid of for another phone? I really like the phone itself, but I prefer touching a actual buttons.

Every iPhone user hates the keyboard at first. Just trust it, and you will be find. I can type over 65 words per minute with no errors.

I have had the iPhone for over a week now and the keyboard is still driving me nuts. It it worth getting rid of for another phone? I really like the phone itself, but I prefer touching a actual buttons.

i don't have one myself, but i played around with my cousins for a couple weeks when i was down in the states. i found the keyboard to be very weird as well, up until he told me to "type where you think the letters should be", i started doing that, and i rarely had any mistakes after that.

i just picked up an iphone yesterday becasue my blackjack took a massive shit and the iphone was cheaper then any other phone i was looking at, i can not figure out how to sent picture text messages for the life of me, i can email them but is there any way to sent a mms?

iphone doesn't do mms unfortunately.

i still have one though haha

omg. apple left that simple feature out? :rolleyes:

that just killed the iphone already.

took me atleast a week or two to get used to the keyboard

now i can type pretty darn fast with the keyboard

infact, i'm doing thise whole post with my iphone

haha

I've had my iphone for about a month now and although I feel like a stuck up ass for having one, I wouldn't have it any other way.

The keyboard is a bit daunting at first and still causes some minor problems on my end but its a lot nicer than using 9-key text.

The battery life is an issue but I usually always have a charging source where I am so again, no worries.

Not having MMS was a bit of a let down BUT, you're able to send pictures through email and with a little programing to your address book, I have no problems sending picture texts.

The camera is amazing! I recently went on holiday to Disney World with my 7mp digital camera and the iphone and the difference between the pictures was pretty minimal.

Having my gmail account set up with the imap function makes email completely seamless. I had used the pop3 function before and it was messy, annoying, and tedious.

The Safari is great but not being flash enabled hurts.

I bought a cover with this phone to protect it in my pocket but never use it anymore. The phone does not scratch and is pretty bad ass to moderate drops. Be aware though that fingerprints will happen constantly, don't worry about it its fine and easy to wipe away. Being in a muggy environment like Florida though will exacerbate this issue though.

All in all I wish I had an imac if for no other reason then being able to sync icalendar with this phone. Trying to sync contacts and calendars with outlook is a painful process that I just don't care enough about anymore. Wasting time with this phone is great and once the 3rd party platform for apps launches it'll be that much better. As for unlocking it...a friend of mine has unlocked two and is now on his third with the previous two being nothing more than 911 dialers. The iphone is a phone that will need constant updates to get the most out of it. Unlocking it basically restricts the phone to the 1st generation model with no clean up, never sounded like a great idea to me.

A final heads up, the 8gb model ends up being about 7.27gb of free space after formatting and pre-installed apps.