Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fedorov#91

The Smartphone Thread

I think the biggest reason to switch from AT&T is the fact that's it's AT&T. While I have enjoyed the iPhone 3G for 2 years, the iPhone 4 is not (personal preference here guys) so much different than what I have, and certainly not enough for me to remain with AT&T. No doubt it's a nice device, but I think Verizon and the Droid X are the right move for me to make. AT&T has screwed me over on more than one occasion, so I started the process of switching to Verizon, making contact with my employers corporate sales associate to make sure everything is set for the day droid x releases, or if they actually have a preorder...

If you're looking to not be "screwed over" Verizon isn't a wise choice, they have horrible customer service. Plenty of my friends have complained about Sprint and Verizon over billing or double billing them. I've never had an issue with AT&T that 5 minutes in the store didn't fix, I was overcharged once and they over credited me by $20.

I've been a Verizon customer close to ten years now and haven't had one issue where I was overcharged or had customer service problems. In fact they have overturned numerous late fees with a simple phone call.

I was an Alltel customer for about 10 years, never had an issue until Verizon took over. Then there was a couple billing issues, then my service started getting poor. I switched to AT&T last year and I had that single issue where the salesman didn't add unlimited messaging to my bill so they charged me per text. It took ten minutes and I had a $85ish credit to my account when they overcharged me by $65ish.

I don't know what the deal is, it seems like the people that like Verizon LOVE Verizon and never have issues. Then there are people that always have issues with them. Just a couple months ago my friend had her phone shut off and had to provide proof that she paid her bill, she said the same thing I did above "I never had issues with Alltel."

I dont know why everyone complains about AT&T, I get service pretty much everywhere, and the 3G is way faster than Verizon.

For me this is true (I live in Cali), but I think it depends solely on where you are located. In general (VERY GENERAL) Verizon is better then ATT in the Eastern US. I think a lot of people on this forum are from that side of the country. Obviously there are areas where this doesn't hold true. But from my knowledge this can be used as a broad general rule.

Yeah, it pretty much depends on your area. I hear the worst for AT&T are San Francisco and NYC. Luckily for me Tampa is a test market and has fantastic service with every carrier.

Yeah, it pretty much depends on your area. I hear the worst for AT&T are San Francisco and NYC. Luckily for me Tampa is a test market and has fantastic service with every carrier.

When I had to go into the city every day for my job I worked with guys who had iphones and then boost mobile phones to use in the city 'cause they couldn't have a full conversation without it getting dropped on ATT.

When I had to go into the city every day for my job I worked with guys who had iphones and then boost mobile phones to use in the city 'cause they couldn't have a full conversation without it getting dropped on ATT.

I've heard New York is pretty bad for ATT, but I live 20 minutes from SF and the reception has gotten much better there. It used to be real bad, but now, no problems.

(fanboy)Reason # 743482 to get an iPhone...

(/fanboy)

Its got some problems, but its a fun game! It's on some demo phones at Apple's store if you want to try it. And they have a free shootout version too.

I've heard New York is pretty bad for ATT, but I live 20 minutes from SF and the reception has gotten much better there. It used to be real bad, but now, no problems.

(fanboy)Reason # 743482 to get an iPhone...

(/fanboy)

Its got some problems, but its a fun game! It's on some demo phones at Apple's store if you want to try it. And they have a free shootout version too.

I tried the game in the store, it's pretty fun..

I live close to goaliemanshark and signal with AT&T is usually great around SF.

On another note I talked to the Apple customer service today and they're gonna come out with an update for the signal loss, but only to fix the bars as they are not accurate. I don't know why people started talking about the loss of signal now, when the 3G and 3GS are showing the same "problem."

It's a crock - they're making up for the poor antenna design and shifting the blame on ATT. Before, the bars were boosted to look like you had full reception. Now, you'll see you'll have poor reception, and Apple will just say "Must be the network."

It's a crock - they're making up for the poor antenna design and shifting the blame on ATT. Before, the bars were boosted to look like you had full reception. Now, you'll see you'll have poor reception, and Apple will just say "Must be the network."

I don't know what they're trying to do, but it seems like its easy to call that bluff just by looking at other AT&T models and their signal.

The Droid x came out today. My friend went and got one and brought it over and holy shit. The phone is an absolute beast. The screen is HUGE! pictures do not do it justice at all. Comparing it and my original Droid is just not fair. If someone can finally figure out how to crack its encrypted bootloader ill be all over that phone.

Don't think they will - they never really solved the Milestone.

I think it'll happen eventually. Likely later than sooner, though, so by the time it happens, the next batch of Droids will be in play.

I picked up a Droid X today and I'm gonna use it for at least the next month (Verizon has a 30 day return policy). This is my first time switching to the Droid operating system from a Blackberry and I really like my Blackberry so we'll see how the Droid experiment goes. I'm hoping I'll be able to type on this thing as fast as I can on my BlackBerry too.

I picked up a Droid X today and I'm gonna use it for at least the next month (Verizon has a 30 day return policy). This is my first time switching to the Droid operating system from a Blackberry and I really like my Blackberry so we'll see how the Droid experiment goes. I'm hoping I'll be able to type on this thing as fast as I can on my BlackBerry too.

What BB are you using? I Was using a curve for almost three years when I moved to a Droid. It took about a week but eventually I got just as fast as my BB.

I guess it can't be as easy as typing in the Konami code. :)

I love that it is on t-shirts now *L*

677d1217305808-contra-code-google-reader-contra-even-god-knows-.gif

Where were these in 1987?

I guess it can't be as easy as typing in the Konami code. :)

Apparently I've heard already trying to get to the bootloader for the Droid X will brick the phone...too late to retract my previous statement?

I love that it is on t-shirts now *L*

%7Boption%7D

Where were these in 1987?

LOL

it is the code used on Palm webOS phone to gain developer/root access.

Apparently I've heard already trying to get to the bootloader for the Droid X will brick the phone...too late to retract my previous statement?

It's a lame move by Motorola - they release an open phone to get back on the scene and now they will sell you closed phones to get you to buy their latest model sooner.

Anyone catch the spin Steve Jobs put on the iPhone? Wow...a visual reminder where NOT to touch the phone...haha

It's a lame move by Motorola - they release an open phone to get back on the scene and now they will sell you closed phones to get you to buy their latest model sooner.

Anyone catch the spin Steve Jobs put on the iPhone? Wow...a visual reminder where NOT to touch the phone...haha

I never rooted my Droid, due to me needing the warranty for it, but I'm going to bite the bullet and get the Droid X. The Droid 1 is on it's way out, therefore I'm thinking 2.2 is the last update we'll see for it. With "Gingerbread" being rumored already, but only for the more powerful phones, I'm all in for the X. Plan on ordering it on Monday, and they ship out on the 23rd.

I was reading opinions from the Apple presser, and found that Jobs was comparing the iPhone problems to phones such as the Omnia, and the Droid Eris. Really? You're going to compare it to those phones? The Droid Eris is equivalent to the Bauer ONE50....

Same here. All the Droid users seemed to be saying "I just gripped my Droid and went from 5 bars...to 5 bars."