Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fedorov#91

The Smartphone Thread

The Gingerbread statue went up today at Google. Soon enough! BTW. I can't even begin to tell you how much time I've wasted on Angry Birds so far. haha

I'm with Verizon, and just upgraded to a 9650. I received a special offer in the mail that would save me $50 on my 9650, or for an additional $50 I could get an Incredible. Any of the more tech savvy people have some suggestions or advice?

Looks like Google unveiled portions of Android 2.3 (Gingerbread Operating System). Looks like several models should be expecting the update in a few weeks. Hopefully the Droid X is one of em!

Google CEO was running it on a device that was said to be the Nexus S. Also said the next couple of weeks for launch. I imagine the Nexus One will get it first, then the EVO, then Droid X.

im surprised that the evo is still kind of top of the mountain as far as specs go - i mean it's been out for quite a while now and still has some of the best specs (although probably not too much longer)

I just got the evo last week. Was planning on waiting for the next big new phone from Sprint but there was no news on one coming out anytime soon.

im surprised that the evo is still kind of top of the mountain as far as specs go - i mean it's been out for quite a while now and still has some of the best specs (although probably not too much longer)

Just wait for the Nexus S. EVO will no longer be Top of the Mountain.

I'm waiting for the Desire HD to come out. It's rumored to be heading to Telus, which means it will have ATT frequencies, and hopefully will make it's way to ATT. If not, when my contract is over in the spring I'll be heading to Sprint or Verizon for a large screen, HTC Android device with a snapdragon processor.

I've been checking out the new Sony-Ericsson but they are really slow on the android OS updates from what I've been reading

although the specs aren't officially out - it supposedly wont be 4G and has only a 5.0mp camera - but i'm assuming processor and memory will be better.

Fastest processor to date IIRC.

And Chadd, anything that is not a Nexus phone is slow with Android updates because it's the only true Google-developed phone. My friend always brags to me about how his Nexus gets updates before my Droid X. They always push the updates out to the Nexus phones because the developers are given those phones to program their apps to run on the newest OS.

Yeah -

Something happened between Palm and Sprint, and nobody really can answer what it is; Sprint passed up on the Pre+ and the Pre2, but the hope is that they will pick up the superphone that will debut at CES as well as their tablets.

If Sprint does not, I will most likely be switching carriers, even though I have a 25% discount on Sprint. webOS is THAT good.

Fastest processor right now is the snapdragons second integration, which the desire hd uses.

The Desire HD only has a 1 GHz processor (as well as my Droid X), the Nexus S is boasting a 1.2.

The Desire HD only has a 1 GHz processor (as well as my Droid X), the Nexus S is boasting a 1.2.

The 2nd gen Snapdragon uses Adreno 205 graphics though, which outperforms the Samsung processor in the Nexus S when it comes to rendering. The real next processor is the dual core qualcomm MSM8960 that are coming. They feature the Adreno 300 series and are super smooth, boasting 75% less power consumption than current snapdragons and 5x the performance with console quality graphical abilities.

Well, made the move today to a Droid X from the old HTC Touch. Tried to do it yesterday but the mf'er wouldn't take the contacts from the HTC nor would the texting work on it. Back to the store today and another new X later it all works fine. Just need to decide what other apps to get besides the App Killer. May look at Handcent quickly too. Love the larger screen and HD video capabilities. Now I can hold off a few months on the reading glasses!

Do not download an app/task killer on the droid x (or pretty much any droid). It is useless and will just drain the battery. It is not needed (and actually impossible to work) with Froyo. Isn't necessary on 2.1 either. Contrary to what a store employee may tell you, no app can 'kill' another app.

Enjoy the X! I love mine!

Do not download an app/task killer on the droid x (or pretty much any droid). It is useless and will just drain the battery. It is not needed (and actually impossible to work) with Froyo. Isn't necessary on 2.1 either. Contrary to what a store employee may tell you, no app can 'kill' another app.

Enjoy the X! I love mine!

Hmm... interesting. Every Droid forum suggests the app killer. I did install it and it did download and appears to work (?) with Froyo. It shows what's running and you just check what you want to shut down. Or so it appears?

edit... I use the AK not to help with performance but rather to save battery life. I did read where the OS will shut down unused apps if needed but I'd rather be able to shut them down to save the battery myself.