Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fedorov#91

The Smartphone Thread

i dont think app killer is a bad program - but i do notice that alot of the apps that i "kill" start back up again later (sometimes within like 5 mins) - i think pretty much any app that is set to check for updates

For older devices on earlier versions of android they were effective. Froyo actually kills apps that take up too much memory or.stay inactive ffor long. It does not allow task killers to work. 3rd party app killers may show an app running, even tho froyo has stopped that process, or sharing it with another process, and not actually running. I ran a killer.for a while until I did research. You'll see many apps come up to kill, even when you've not opened them. And hitting kill just closes the list in the 3rd party killer. Forums (I am on androidforums.com) have long recommended atk, however developers do not have anything that will work with froyo currently. There may be a task killer in the future that works with froyo, but currently, all they do is take up memory and drain the battery. Kinda like a placebo nowadays. Quick google search of "task killer froyo" will givve you a ton more details.

For older devices on earlier versions of android they were effective. Froyo actually kills apps that take up too much memory or.stay inactive ffor long. It does not allow task killers to work. 3rd party app killers may show an app running, even tho froyo has stopped that process, or sharing it with another process, and not actually running. I ran a killer.for a while until I did research. You'll see many apps come up to kill, even when you've not opened them. And hitting kill just closes the list in the 3rd party killer. Forums (I am on androidforums.com) have long recommended atk, however developers do not have anything that will work with froyo currently. There may be a task killer in the future that works with froyo, but currently, all they do is take up memory and drain the battery. Kinda like a placebo nowadays. Quick google search of "task killer froyo" will givve you a ton more details.

Interesting info; I'll do some looking around... and maybe delete the AK. Thanks

I just don't see the point in runnin an app that only drains battery. But otherwise there's no harm in it.

Definitely post up widgets and apps you get! Currently im using launcher pro plus custom home launcher. Adw is good as well. Beautiful widgets is definitely good as well really has an htc feel to it its a clock/weather widget with a ton of customization and options.

I've been checking out the new Sony-Ericsson but they are really slow on the android OS updates from what I've been reading

Its because of the custom interfaces that Sony-Ericsson, Motorola, and Samsung put on top of the Android system. It takes time for the manufacturers to integrate their interface with the new update, hence why the nexus one can update instantly: there is no custom interface.

Its because of the custom interfaces that Sony-Ericsson, Motorola, and Samsung put on top of the Android system. It takes time for the manufacturers to integrate their interface with the new update, hence why the nexus one can update instantly: there is no custom interface.

Nexus One is also a dev phone; aka any kind of developmental work done on android is done with a nexus one (and soon to be nexus s). Obviously it runs vanilla android, but it also is the specific device google uses to test, build on and produce new android builds.

IMO, if you aren't using the vanilla interface, you have to use Sense. Touch whiz, motoblur, etc. are all just crap comparatively. Motoblur is especially frustrating in terms of how the UI is built. The coding is not very streamlined and overtime really tends to bog down. If I ever bought a Motorola Droid, I'd probably be rooting vanilla android on it fairly quickly.

Nexus One is also a dev phone; aka any kind of developmental work done on android is done with a nexus one (and soon to be nexus s). Obviously it runs vanilla android, but it also is the specific device google uses to test, build on and produce new android builds.

IMO, if you aren't using the vanilla interface, you have to use Sense. Touch whiz, motoblur, etc. are all just crap comparatively. Motoblur is especially frustrating in terms of how the UI is built. The coding is not very streamlined and overtime really tends to bog down. If I ever bought a Motorola Droid, I'd probably be rooting vanilla android on it fairly quickly.

MOTOBLUR is crap. I hated all the widgets that cluttered my backgrounds when I first got my Droid X. I deleted them and installed LauncherPro. The only positive thing about MOTOBLUR is the fact that it allows you to pull an update from the system as soon as it's dropped. I've wanted to root my Droid X, however, I've had bad luck with phones previous to my Droid and Droid X, and I don't want to go messing up my 600 dollar Droid X after rooting and being screwed for a warranty replacement.

I just picked up the evo. I want to root and remove sense but to keep 4g you have to keep a sense based Rom. If it wasn't for that I would have done it already. Want to oc this thing too.

Well, I dumped ATK. Loaded in Handcent, Sky Maps, Tesla LED, Places Directory (downloaded after getting the bar code reader as it's not in Market anymore, lol), Saavy Shopper, Radar Now, and Astro. Unreal what this phone can do compared to my old HTC Touch, wow.

Thats why I rooted by Droid about a month after I got it. Unfortunatly, I had to do it the hard way with terminal emulators and messing with commands on my computer. Nowadays there are 'One-touch-root' programs.

Well, I dumped ATK. Loaded in Handcent, Sky Maps, Tesla LED, Places Directory (downloaded after getting the bar code reader as it's not in Market anymore, lol), Saavy Shopper, Radar Now, and Astro. Unreal what this phone can do compared to my old HTC Touch, wow.

You wan't some cool apps? 'Whoisit Beta' is a fun one which lets you fully customize everything about your contacts. What color the led blinks when person X calls you, the volume of the ring... ect. Another good one is Yellowbook. Obviously, a very useful app. 'Dropbox' lets you access selected documents on your phone as well as any computer with internet. Working on a paper? Save it to the dropbox folder on your computer and proof read it on the way to school. Then print it out via a school computer.

But the best app Ive found for non-rooted users is called 'AudioGalaxy'. Just create an account on your computer, Install the software and select the folders in your computer which contain your music files. Give it a few minutes to sync it all, and then you just have to log in via the app on your phone and BAMN, 3000+ songs (or however many you have on your computer) are available to you wherever you go. Easily the coolest thing ever(If you ask me anyway).

You can also download doubleTwist with AirSync for $.99. Allows you to do it wirelessly over wi-fi connection. I love doubleTwist

You can also download doubleTwist with AirSync for $.99. Allows you to do it wirelessly over wi-fi connection. I love doubleTwist

Eh. Not the biggest fan of doubletwist. Id give audioGalaxy a try tho, heck its free.

I am not currently, as I'm still stuck with an iPhone until ATT gets their heads out of their asses and releases a legitimate evo-type phone or my contract expires (august). I should probably join over there sometime though, as I am an android geek.

Was playing with the galaxy tab today extensively, was really impressed. While it is not aa polished as the iPad, I in many ways preferred it (was using both). It is more practical at 7" and easier to type on. I feel as though I could recline with it too.

The G-Tab is nice, although I've only played with the VZW version and found it to be slower than my Droid Incredible. I will pick one up after the holidays after the tegra 2 tabs get announced, hopefully the price will drop;)

What phone do you have tjl?

The G-Tab is nice, although I've only played with the VZW version and found it to be slower than my Droid Incredible. I will pick one up after the holidays after the tegra 2 tabs get announced, hopefully the price will drop;)

What phone do you have tjl?

I noticed the exact same thing. Was using one at best buy that was using sprint 3g and it was perfectly fine, not slow, not sluggish. I don't know why, but it seems the ones in the VZW stores are slow for some reason. Maybe improper care, don't know, but they have all been crap in my experience.

I used to be an XDA frequenter back when I had an ATT Tilt. When I get an Android phone I'll probably be back.

I used the G-Tab at my local Best Buy the other day, and from the limited use I had with it I loved it. I'm just waiting for the wi-fi version to drop.

I had the hero and just dropped that for the evo about 2 weeks ago. Was going to wait for the next big thing from Sprint but wasn't seeing any rumors floating around. Figured it'd be a while so just went with the evo.

I used the G-Tab at my local Best Buy the other day, and from the limited use I had with it I loved it. I'm just waiting for the wi-fi version to drop.

It runs on WiFi as well, you can just buy it without a contract.

You can just simply buy it off contract, and use it as a wifi only device. No need to activate a non-phone featured device, unless it only ran on a carriers data network. The Tab is just like the iPad or netbooks sold in wireless company stores now, they try to entice you to buy it at a cheaper price by also making you commit to a data plan.

The only difference you'll notice from buying it at different store locations will be that it will be locked to a certain carriers data network frequency. Aka, buying it at ATT means you have to use an ATT data plan if you want to use data at all. Now, that being said, you can unlock it, and it has radios built in for all 4 carriers I believe, but I'm not sure if there are CDMA and SIM versions that are separated or if they all can take sims, or just use CDMA.

Just picked up the Dell Venue with Windows 7. Still waiting for that first major update, but aside from that, I'm quite impressed.