Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fedorov#91

The Smartphone Thread

The only other fairly decent carrier up here is with Sprint, so I'll check into one of those. Otherwise I'll have to get a pager and kick it old skool.

Sprint has the best plan prices, bar none.

I bought the new Palm Pre on Sat - really liking it. Has a couple of bugs but nothing too bad - waiting for a firmware update. However, the multitasking ability and the combination of contacts (AIM/Google Talk/Facebook) is absolutely awesome.

Funny how Apple bashed them at the WWDC for having 18 apps at launch when they forgot they didn't have an app store until last year. Just a matter of time til Palm/third party devs gets their 30,000 apps ported over.

JR should I wait a little bit to get the Pre or just go for it now?

Back to the iPhone, I saw a video on the S and it looks like the Pre and the S are basically the same thing, minus the iPhone's apps.

Probably won't be able to find one right now, but it's up to you.

I suffered poor battery life with my Lightning account (Microsoft Exchange kept on trying to sync with it, therefore draining my battery) so I took it off and have no problems with my battery.

Other than that, I'm absolutely loving it.

The keyboard and my fat fingers is what worries me. How sensitive is the touch for the screen? I know the iPhone is super sensitive which is something I like.

The only other fairly decent carrier up here is with Sprint, so I'll check into one of those. Otherwise I'll have to get a pager and kick it old skool.

The thing that keeps me to AT&T is the discount from my work. That said, they've had 3G up here for years and AT&T just got it. I'll have to dig into this and see how comparable this carrier is to Sprint.

The keyboard and my fat fingers is what worries me. How sensitive is the touch for the screen? I know the iPhone is super sensitive which is something I like.

i cant speak for everyone, but the iphone keyboard isnt bad at all, it just takes some time to get used to... i have larger then average fingers and it was tough for the first week or so to text/type consistantly with the iphone, but after a week or so i got used to it and its fine now...

i'm pumped for the 3G S.

at first i thought it was just going to be an OS upgrade, but now looking at it, there are a handful of great features on 3G S not available on 3.0 upgrade. now i need to find a buyer for my 3G

Me too! Luckily I got my 3G June 29th so I can just go in and get the 3G S and $70 back because its cheaper! On top of that I'm in an empty college town for the summer so getting one will be beyond easy.

They sure Do. I'd be all over that $99 unlimited if their coverage/customer service wasnt utter rubbish.

AT&T is murdering the competition around here. Verizon isnt even close...

I type without a problem - I always have used my fingertips/thumbtips to type so if you use the base of your thumbs you might have a problem. There's a lip on the top, as long as your hands are aligned, no problem.

The screen is super-sensitive and reacts to every touch.

Well the new iPhones come out on the 19th and seem grand, but it appears I'm not eligible for the discounted price. They had no problems going from the first gen to the 3G for a cheaper price but now it appears to be a problem. I think I'm going to just cancel my contract as we still don't even have 3G up here, tho it's been overdue for about 8 mos now.

What's even more of a downer is they're still offering the 3G for $99.... which kills the re-sale value for a 3G you may own. I sold my 1st gen iPhone when the 3G hit for $250, upgraded for $200 and still ended up on the upside. Now with this launching so soon, I'm not eligible for a discount, and can't sell my old handset. Apple you bastards...

I can justify the upgrade (mine is coming in March, shit) by saying it's like buying a Touch since that's what my old iPhone will be. That said, I may go with whatever BlackBerry comes out with by then. We got new phones for work today and they're the Tundras. I'm going to go drive over it to see if it really is that hard to break.

Just preordered my 32GB one today. Looking forward to it. Wasn't cheap though. Had to pay $499 Cause I couldn't upgrage yet. Sold my 3G for $400 though, so it wasn't a big hit to the wallet.

i cant speak for everyone, but the iphone keyboard isnt bad at all, it just takes some time to get used to... i have larger then average fingers and it was tough for the first week or so to text/type consistantly with the iphone, but after a week or so i got used to it and its fine now...

I have an iPod Touch and I would agree that the keyboard is very nice and roomy on it.

I went and saw the Pre today and was not happy with it. Overall I just didn't like it. Like JR warned of I don't use my fingertips so the buttons were way too small on the keyboard.

How's AT&T with their service and customer service and all that good stuff?

Just preordered my 32GB one today. Looking forward to it. Wasn't cheap though. Had to pay $499 Cause I couldn't upgrage yet. Sold my 3G for $400 though, so it wasn't a big hit to the wallet.

WTF.

you're a superstar, buddy... period. P-E-R-I-U-D, period.

i was thinking that the most i'd be able to unload my 3G for would be $100 (new 3g price). we'll see about that, now.

What is the point of this?

the point of my post?

if that's what you're talking about, allow me to answer:

he sold his 3G for $300 more than it's going to cost in less than two weeks. essentially, he's given hope to everyone (read: me) who's looking to buy-up.

WTF.

you're a superstar, buddy... period. P-E-R-I-U-D, period.

i was thinking that the most i'd be able to unload my 3G for would be $100 (new 3g price). we'll see about that, now.

it's easy to do if you're selling it to someone who isnt/doesnt plan on being an ATT customer.

I decided to get the Blackberry storm over the iphone and haven't looked back. Main reason, I saw 2 kids wearing scarves High five when they found out they both had iphones.

So far Spotlight's the one thing I'm liking the most on 3.0. Keyboard input seems to be better now, too.

So far Spotlight's the one thing I'm liking the most on 3.0. Keyboard input seems to be better now, too.

Did you get an early seed of 3.0? Any info on how to get it so I can play around with it?

I haven't been following it that much since my 1G is about to die on me. Ordered a 32g black one that should arrive on the 19th.