Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hapamatt122

NFL Thread

I'm watching the Pats/Ravs game and it isn't looking for the Pats right now. Could this be loss #1?

Down by 7 with 8:45 left....I don't think Brady is ready to panic YET!

Oh man poor Baltimore could they get a break? Patriots did they have enough chances? 4th and 1 and they are done then whistle...time out on Baltimore and that was it huh?

Yes someone did throw the flag but i don't think it make the stands though.

3. Who honestly thought they were going to lose?

I didn't expect Baltimore to keep shooting themselves in the jimmy at the end.

kosy...Yeah. Bart Scott did. And, for all those penalties...they missed one too. #20 took his helmet off after the first interference flag in the endzone. That is normally a 15 yarder. But, I think the refs were talking over the initial flag and no one saw it.

Baltimore did everything they could to lose that game. It was not bad breaks, they brought it on themselves.

That hail mary at the end was cool, though it could never be a TD because of the blatant offensive pass interference by Mason on Samuel.

kosy...Yeah. Bart Scott did. And, for all those penalties...they missed one too. #20 took his helmet off after the first interference flag in the endzone. That is normally a 15 yarder. But, I think the refs were talking over the initial flag and no one saw it.

The refs also seemed to miss a block in the back on Maroney's big gain off the screen pass in the 4th.

Reed did take his helmet off quickly, I don't know if the refs missed it or if he pretended to adjust it. It was really stupid to hold Watson on that play when you have help behind you.

And I can't believe the Pats didn't try an onsides kick from Baltimore's 35.

...I can't believe the Pats didn't try an onsides kick from Baltimore's 35.

I thought that too. The Pats usually run it up...I thought they might try either an onside...or a pooch to down it inside the 5, or hope for a scramble that would lead to a loose ball.

I thought that too. The Pats usually run it up...I thought they might try either an onside...or a pooch to down it inside the 5, or hope for a scramble that would lead to a loose ball.

It has nothing to do with running it up. You get the ball back and the game is over. If Baltimore gets it, then you most likely give up the ball at the 25. 5 yards for a chance to seal the game seems reasonable to me.

And I'd be worried with a pooch or squib. If the returner (and Baltimore has 3 good ones) somehow gets past the first wave, there isn't another wave to stop him. Also, it's not a situation that the team has likely practiced, so a breakdown wouldn't be unusual.

It has nothing to do with running it up. You get the ball back and the game is over. If Baltimore gets it, then you most likely give up the ball at the 25. 5 yards for a chance to seal the game seems reasonable to me.

And I'd be worried with a pooch or squib. If the returner (and Baltimore has 3 good ones) somehow gets past the first wave, there isn't another wave to stop him. Also, it's not a situation that the team has likely practiced, so a breakdown wouldn't be unusual.

True on both counts...but...realistically, if NE had gotten the ball back that close, do you think they would have kneeled? They would have gone for one more score.

True on both counts...but...realistically, if NE had gotten the ball back that close, do you think they would have kneeled? They would have gone for one more score.

yes they would have kneeled. they are not ass holes. they don't run up the score, they just do what ever it takes to win the game. with less than a minute left, they would have kneeled out the clock.

yes they would have kneeled. they are not ass holes. they don't run up the score, they just do what ever it takes to win the game. with less than a minute left, they would have kneeled out the clock.

Against Dallas, with 23 seconds left, the Pats went for it on 4th down from the 1 and scored a TD to go up 48-27.

what were they gonna do? punt? kick a field goal? it was better off giving dallas no field position, ending the game sooner. but he got in, so hey.

These last two weeks would signal the beginning of something bad for most teams but I think this is just smelling salts for the Pats. Someone's going to get Giuliani'd.

what were they gonna do? punt? kick a field goal? it was better off giving dallas no field position, ending the game sooner. but he got in, so hey.

Yeah, I was thinking they should punt. :rolleyes:

Kick a FG. What's the point in adding another 4 points?

If you really wanted to give the Cowboys now field position by going for it, then why not just take a knee?

Dallas also went for like 3 4th downs against the Bills in a total blowout. Please don't try and defend them for running up the score.

The refs also seemed to miss a block in the back on Maroney's big gain off the screen pass in the 4th.

I noticed that also, but when they didn't call it, I thought maybe blocks in the back are only called on returns. Also, the replay from the other angle made it seem to be more of a block from the side.

Yeah, I was thinking they should punt.

Kick a FG. What's the point in adding another 4 points?

There's no doubt New England ran up the score with that touchdown, but it also seemed that Belichick was giving the rookie (Eckel) a chance to score. They obviously should have taken a knee, but this team was playing with a collective chip when other teams started questioning their past success.

I did find it interesting that the Ravens were complaining after the game that they had to play the Pats and refs last night, because the truth is only two calls went against them in the last five minutes (during play), and only one was questionable.

- Brady made the first down on his scramble, but the Pats lucked out that Samari Rolle made an obvious tackle on Stallworth(?) and were given an extra five yards. That was an easy call to make because Rolle pulled the receiver to the ground, but Brady had already gained the first down.

- The questionable call, obviously, was the fourth and goal, yet the DB held Watson the entire ten yards. Usually they won’t make that call at that time, but he was definitely grabbing the arm or jersey the whole route.

- At first, I thought Gafffney’s touchdown wasn’t good, but after a few looks, it seemed Gaffney had control yet was switching hands. It did cause the ball to come away from his palm, but his fingertips were touching the ball all along.

- I don’t know what caused the first unsportsmanlike penalty, but the second was a no-brainer

On the other hand, I would have been pissed if the Ravens won on that Hail Mary, because Mason jumped into the Samuel, then grabbed him from behind to prevent him from defending the pass.

Last, I don’t know how it’s possible to rush the ball 37 times with some gaping holes and NO holding penalties occurred??

That said, even though I realize the opponents are playing with incredible intensity, the Pats have developed leaks the past two weeks. The pass rush has been anemic. The rush defense has been poor. Maroney is great in the open field, but he can’t seem to hit the hole quickly or with authority.

Still, Pittsburgh is the one game that scares me. They have no business losing to the Jets or Dolphins in New England. They are definitely better than the Giants, although we could see a repeat of tonight’s game, where the Giants have nothing to lose.

I noticed that also, but when they didn't call it, I thought maybe blocks in the back are only called on returns. Also, the replay from the other angle made it seem to be more of a block from the side.

It's not just on returns. And I saw the replay and don't believe it was a block from the side. In fact, I didn't think it was that close.

There's no doubt the play originally looked like a block in the back. But because the replay looked something like a block from the side, maybe no official had a good angle on it.

There's no doubt the play originally looked like a block in the back. But because the replay looked something like a block from the side, maybe no official had a good angle on it.

The side judge should have definitely had a good angle at it. In fact, I think you could see him running up and following the play.

Looking at the last 14 seconds again, Im sure that hailmary pass was planned. But, if the Ravens QB had saw the gap he had (which was incredibly wide and open) he couldve ran it at least 10 yards and get out of bounds. There were 4 Patriots gaurding the two Ravens in the hailmary play, and the Ravens QB had plenty of room to run it. Could he have gotten out of bounds and then kick it for a tie?

Very un-likely for it all to work out, especially because the hail mary was already planned. But I think that was the best they couldve gotten out of it.

Weren't the Ravens around their own 40 at the time. I don't think Stover has 60+ yard range and especially not in the windy conditions last night.

I have to say though, regardless of how bad the holding on Derrick Mason was, that play was still pretty exciting. Imagine if he had gotten a chance to pitch it to someone... However, I think the Pats are legitimate contenders to go undefeated even though they play the Steelers and the Giants in 2 of their last 4 games. I did hear some dumb anchor on ESPN say that the only game that they should be worried about is the 0-12 Dolphins in 2 weeks...

Still, Tommy amazes me week in and week out.

If they were to worry, which the Patriots don't, they would worry because it'll possibly be a 15-0 team taking on an 0-15 team whose franchise is the only undefeated team ever. It's Hollywood writing, albeit for a mid-season CW replacement show.