Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lb33knight

Custom+, LS, LS2 & LS2P

I have constantly seen question after question about all of the differences between the holders and once and for all want to put some of those questions to bed.

Ok here goes:

Tuuk Custom+ - They are made of Zytel plastic, I believe. They are a little bit softer and have more flex to them. There are two posts that hold the blade on. One in the back and one in the front that can be a real pain in the @$$ to get to. Especially when the access holes that are predrilled into the bottom of the boot aren't aligned with the bolt, which isn't uncommon. You need an 8mm socket preferably with a swivel to be able to reach the bolt in the front. If you don't get the nut perfectly aligned on top of the bolt, it's a headache to get them threaded. The Custom+ holder only uses Custom+ steel.

Tuuk LightSpeed - originally replaced the Custom+ when the Vapor XX skates were released. They are 3mm higher in the heel and it's footprint is just a tiny little bit longer. The holders are much stiffer and they don't torque nearly as much as the Custom+. Some players like them better, some don't. They copied the way that the Graf Cobra blade attached. The steel has a hook in the front and one bolt in the back similar to the Custom+ bolt but bigger in size and it is attached using a long Allen wrench instead of an 8mm socket. The sides of the holder where the plastic met the steel had grooves in them which were very annoying. When honing the sides of the steel the stone would get caught leading to a few people being cut. Visualize this - as you are running the stone down the blade, the stone gets hung up but your hand keeps going... About halfway through the season the grooves were removed after enough of us complained. The original LS steel was inferior and would break often. This holder would fit LS or LS2 steel but not the Custom+ or LS2 Power steel.

Tuuk LightSpeed 2 - basically the same holder as the LightSpeed. The steel did get an upgrade. Bauer changed the company that they got their steel from. LS2 steel can still break but it usually lasts much longer than the LS steel. The hardware also received an upgrade. The nut and bolts were chrome plated, I believe, to help keep them for rusting as fast as the LS hardware did. The bolt was the same size but the nut is a little bit taller and went back to using a 8mm socket. The bottom of the nut is concave making it much easier to get the nut threaded once you get it on the bolt. The LS2 holder will fit both LS or LS2 steel but not the Custom+ or LS2 Power steel.

Tuuk LightSpeed 2 Power - same design as the LS and LS2 but they are now made of translucent Lexan. The Lexan (same type of plastic that visors are made of) is even stiffer but because of this it is more brittle. I've seen many of the get hairline fractures in the middle of the holder. The other holders seem to flex just enough to be able to absorb impacts but these are just a little bit too stiff. This is one of the reasons that the new LS2 Power holders coming out next year will be back to the white Zytel plastic, as well as for cosmetic reasons (not too many people will argue that the holder, which was supposed to be clear with a hint of blue, is ugly. Purple with sparkly glitter is a bit over the top.) The steel is a few millimeters longer than the LS or LS2 steel. Because of this the hardware doesn't align with the LS or LS2 holders. I think it would have made more sense to make the steel a tad longer but still keep the hardware attachments at the same spot so that any LS steel woul fit in any LS holder. They either weren't thinking when they made that change or they did it on purpose to sell more steel. They use the same type of nut and bolt as the LS2. The LS2 Power holder will only accept LS2 Power steel.

I hope this helps clear up some questions for everyone. On my way to the rink now. Enjoy. :D

my old 8000s came with the first batch of lightspeed holders that had those grooves on the sides. What normally takes me takes me 45 seconds to do takes me 2 mins. I mean yeah it's not much but i usally hone my skates in the change room before the game and it's a big hassle especially if i am pressed for time.

Not a big fan of the clear lightspeed power holders either on my one90s

awesome information - thank you!

I have a question (for you, JR or ??), and instead of making another thread will put it here. I understand PITCH holders line-up exactly with the Custom + rivet holes. If one were to put the PITCH on a boot which originally had the Custom +, would it have the same heel/toe 'angle' as the Custom+, or would it be more like the Lightspeed and be 3mm (or +/- ) higher in the heel? Basically, I guess I could have asked if the PITCH has the same 'pitch' as a Custom + or a Lightspeed?

I believe that the PITCH is closer to the LS holder as far as pitch concerns, if anything the PITCH has a slight forward lean.

awesome information - thank you!

I have a question (for you, JR or ??), and instead of making another thread will put it here. I understand PITCH holders line-up exactly with the Custom + rivet holes. If one were to put the PITCH on a boot which originally had the Custom +, would it have the same heel/toe 'angle' as the Custom+, or would it be more like the Lightspeed and be 3mm (or +/- ) higher in the heel? Basically, I guess I could have asked if the PITCH has the same 'pitch' as a Custom + or a Lightspeed?

The PITCH holders aren't that popular in my area so I will pass on this question so JR can answer it. I know that he favors the PITCH blade so he should be able to give you a more accurate answer.

As long as we're talking about TUUKs...

I've been using t'Blades for a couple years now (love them), but I'm working at a shop now, so I'll finally be able to have all the resources to work on my own skates whenever I please. Given these new developments, I've grown somewhat curious, and am thinking about changing things up for a bit (just for the Hell of it).

I'm probably going to end-up replacing my t'Blades with Custom+ holders. Color isn't terribly important to me - but I would prefer black over white. I've looked and looked and looked, but to no avail. I'm wondering if any of you might know where I could go (online or otherwise) to get my hands on some black holders. If not, I'll have no choice but to go with white...

Thanks, boys.

I've been using t'Blades for a couple years now (love them), but I'm working at a shop now, so I'll finally be able to have all the resources to work on my own skates whenever I please. Given these new developments, I've grown somewhat curious, and am thinking about changing things up for a bit (just for the Hell of it).

I'm probably going to end-up replacing my t'Blades with Custom+ holders. Color isn't terribly important to me - but I would prefer black over white. I've looked and looked and looked, but to no avail. I'm wondering if any of you might know where I could go (online or otherwise) to get my hands on some black holders. If not, I'll have no choice but to go with white...

Thanks, boys.

hockeyoutlet has some black ones left. but it depends on which size you have I ordered a set of black tuuk+ holders from them yesterday..

Does anyone have any idea why Bauer did not design the Lightspeed holders with rear external nut & bolts like those on CCM, Easton and Mission? I would think that that would make changing runners alot faster, especially if you had to do it during a game.

I'm sure we could modify the holders by drilling a hole and finding the correct nut and bolts to fit but this precision is beyond me! :P

Thanks, boys.

If you are working for a shop why don't you just order them through your store. Why not help out your own LHS instead of an online site?

Does anyone have any idea why Bauer did not design the Lightspeed holders with rear external nut & bolts like those on CCM, Easton and Mission? I would think that that would make changing runners alot faster, especially if you had to do it during a game.

I'm sure we could modify the holders by drilling a hole and finding the correct nut and bolts to fit but this precision is beyond me! :P

NBH wanted to keep it the same as the Custom+ with the internal bolt. It's not that much harder to get to. It's a better design to than the holder with external hardware. It actually pulls the steel up into the holder instead of just holding it in place. And I'm not sure if you were joking but DO NOT drills holes in your Tuuk. You will compromise all of it's structural integrity.

Thanks, boys.

If you are working for a shop why don't you just order them through your store. Why not help out your own LHS instead of an online site?

To be honest, I think it might be getting a little old. I've only been working there about a month now, and I've already had a number of things either special ordered or shipped-down from the (bigger) Canadian store. I'm like any employee early-on at a new job - the LAST thing I want to do is get on my boss's nerves.

To be honest, I think it might be getting a little old. I've only been working there about a month now, and I've already had a number of things either special ordered or shipped-down from the (bigger) Canadian store. I'm like any employee early-on at a new job - the LAST thing I want to do is get on my boss's nerves.

Offer to pay full price and it's the same as a sale to a regular customer. He wouldn't turn them away.

Didnt want to open a new thread, so ill ask right here.

A guy offered me 9ks for freaking cheap (new ones for $150) since we have a good connection and i think i will buy them for those times when you need new skates since they are in my size and width.

Anyways, they got Cobra holders on them and i want to swap them with Custom+ holders. Now is there a huge hole mess under them? From E-Pro to Cobras, is there a need to drill new holes? And from Cobra to C+ do you have to drill again or use some of the existing holes? I think it will screw the integrity of the skate if there are around 6000 holes in the footbet...

Thanks.

A guy offered me 9ks for freaking cheap (new ones for $150) since we have a good connection and i think i will buy them for those times when you need new skates since they are in my size and width.

Anyways, they got Cobra holders on them and i want to swap them with Custom+ holders. Now is there a huge hole mess under them? From E-Pro to Cobras, is there a need to drill new holes? And from Cobra to C+ do you have to drill again or use some of the existing holes? I think it will screw the integrity of the skate if there are around 6000 holes in the footbet...

Thanks.

The holes for Cobra and C+ should line up. Some others may want to chime in on this. Cobra, C+, and Pitch have the same holes.

Thanks.

The holes for Cobra and C+ should line up. Some others may want to chime in on this. Cobra, C+, and Pitch have the same holes.

I've NEVER been able to do a clean Graf install with Tuuk. They do not line up. It's either the front or back - everything else has to be drilled.

Thanks.

I've NEVER been able to do a clean Graf install with Tuuk. They do not line up. It's either the front or back - everything else has to be drilled.

And what about the old holes of the original E-Pro holders? I assume, they havent been epoxied.

with all the holes they might fit! ;)

I'd consider using the cobras or going back to the e-pros... the skates might not hold up too well with any more holes.

Yeah, thats why asked about the integrity of the skate. But ive never skated on a Cobra and never on a E-Pro it might be too risky. BTW Ive never seen the 9ks with Cobras, haha.

Well I guess I learn something new everyday.

I asked the same question several weeks ago and they said that they'd line up. . . . Sorry for the bad advice sven!

No problem. I will take the Epro one and "tune" it. New holders, new tongues, getting rid of the lacelock and other stuff.