Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

2008 Washington Capitals thread

I thought I'd start one so I don't clutter up the board with my silly caps updates, I'll keep them all here for whoever is interested.

Couple of tidbits from both the caps beat reporter (mike vogel) and Tarik el Bashir, the washington post caps reporter...

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capitalsinsider/

talked to Hanlon and it doesn't sounds too good for the three injured players. Semin, wasn't in fact at full speed, and is likely out. Clark wasn't assigned to a line and is "day-to-day". And Poti is out.

So the lineup will probably look just like it did Monday, unless Clark can go.

Update: Clark just called. He said he's still not feeling like himself after skating for about 20 minutes today. So it looks like he's not going to play.

Clark also said that he lost part of a tooth ealier in the same shift when he was high-sticked by Vancouver defenseman Kevin Bieksa behind the net

http://dumpnchase.wordpress.com/

I chatted with Clark after practice, and here’s what he said:

About the Alex Ovechkin shot that hit hm in the ear, opening a wound that required more than 60 stitches to close:

“Didn’t see it. I didn’t even know it was the puck until afterwards. I thought it was a stick. I was battling before that with I think [Vancouver defenseman] Bieksa and ended up clipping my tooth behind the net. And then I went to the front of the net. I thought it was just a battle with him and didn’t realize until afterwards that it was the puck.

“It just dropped me to my knees, just right down. I didn’t really know at that point that it was the puck until the guys were around me and telling me.”

On whether he had watched a replay of the shot.

“Yes. I wasn’t really facing [Ovechkin], which is good probably. At that point, I was trying to get to the front of the net. I wasn’t facing the shot, which is probably lucky. Kozzie dipped his shoulder a little bit and it went over him.”

On how he feels after praticing today:

“There’s no real pain there. The helmet is a little tight. It’s still swollen in that area, so the helmet is a little tight. Other than that, it wasn’t too bad

Caps also had their rookie dinner last night paid for by Backstrom, Schultz, Steckel and Fleischman picking up the tab.

Schultz and Steckel also dressed up as the lead characters from Blades of Glory for the occasion..

Schultz and Steckel provided levity, dressing up as the lead characters from the movie, “Blades of Glory.”

“I was talking with [Matt Bradley] the other week and I kind of wanted to do something,” says Steckel, “whether it was to mock guys or something. I forgot that it was Halloween. So me and Schultzie went to a costume store and picked out the best ones that we thought would add the most punch for the night. We figured that would be it.”

Schultz escaped Hershey’s rookie dinner last season.

“Actually last year I missed their rookie dinner because I was up here [with Washington] when they had theirs,” says Schultz. “I lucked out last year but I made up for it this year.

“The guys said that being Halloween we should go find costumes. Stecks and I after practice went and found a costume shop. We thought it would be funny to combine our costumes. We saw these and it was hilarious. Everybody was pretty impressed that in the amount of time we had that we found something like this.”

Chris Clark is a tough SOB, a great competitor and a great captain. I'm really glad he is around for the next 4 years as a cap.

It's still early, but time to change some things on the caps management.

Hanlon's not getting it done.

Maybe he is better as a teacher than a coach.

He took a bunch of guys who are marginal NHLers last year, and taught them how to play in the NHL with success until they get were hit with injuries.

This year, he gets guys who KNOW how to play in the NHL, but he can't really coach them.

I like hugs, but I'm thinking he is more of an AHL coach with younger guys, or an assistant coach, not head coach material.

Don't know who to bring in though, perhaps boudreau, but he may be the same. They need an NHL coach, some say hartley, I don't like him.

Caps on their way to a 2-9 record in the last 11. Getting hammered 5-0 by the canes.

Canes first 2 PP's, scored in 3 seconds and 18 seconds respectively.

My thoughts on Hanlon is that he is a good teacher, but a not a good coach.

He was able to get younger players to play in the last couple of years, but can't implement a cohesive plan for the vets to capitalize on.

I like hugs, I like him a lot, but he needs to be packing his bag

While the Caps improved up front they're still terrible defensively. They aren't going to win many games unless they upgrade the blue line.

Chris Bourque got the callup for tonights game in Atlanta, making his NHL debut.

Hopefully the caps won't do what they normally do with potential offensive players, put them on the 4th line for 3 minutes a game, then say their game doesn't translate and make them career 4th liners/ahlers

While the Caps improved up front they're still terrible defensively. They aren't going to win many games unless they upgrade the blue line.

thats exactly why stillman got his hatty. Just poor poor defensive positioning.

they need someone who can shoot from the blue line too... i dont recall them shooting much on net from out deep.

thats exactly why stillman got his hatty. Just poor poor defensive positioning.

they need someone who can shoot from the blue line too... i dont recall them shooting much on net from out deep.

The Stillman/Whitney give and go at the blue line was a thing of beauty.

They already have a couple guys who are supposed to fill the offensive role. Poti and Green come to mind.

Tonight's game versus ATL should be a defensive showcase! Hat tricks for everybody!

Seriously though, is this game going to b e televised? I didn't see it listed on Center Ice.

Tonight's game versus ATL should be a defensive showcase! Hat tricks for everybody!

Seriously though, is this game going to b e televised? I didn't see it listed on Center Ice.

No, thanks to uncle gary selling out to Versus, this is a "versus exclusive gamenight" meaning the only game on in the US is the Rags/Isles.

If you have center ice, and a canadian team is playing, you will get that, but no other game in the US is televised.

Caps fans have been waiting a couple of years to see Chris Bourque get a chance in the show, and he gets called up, but the games not on.

Will the freefall that has the caps 2-9 in their last 11, this was something to look forward to but bettman sold out for pennies.

$100 mil over 2 years = $50 mil per year, which is $1.67 mil per team, if 100% goes to the teams.

That pays for Ben Clymer and Joe Motzko on the caps, both of whom couldn't make the team.

Thanks versus, and thanks uncle gary :unsure:

No, thanks to uncle gary selling out to Versus, this is a "versus exclusive gamenight" meaning the only game on in the US is the Rags/Isles.

If you have center ice, and a canadian team is playing, you will get that, but no other game in the US is televised.

Caps fans have been waiting a couple of years to see Chris Bourque get a chance in the show, and he gets called up, but the games not on.

Will the freefall that has the caps 2-9 in their last 11, this was something to look forward to but bettman sold out for pennies.

$100 mil over 2 years = $50 mil per year, which is $1.67 mil per team, if 100% goes to the teams.

That pays for Ben Clymer and Joe Motzko on the caps, both of whom couldn't make the team.

Thanks versus, and thanks uncle gary :unsure:

So the better option would be the teams having to pay to put games on ESPN? And seriously, Chris Bourque playing his first game isn't going to do anything to impress you. If he was that good he wouldn't have spent the last 2+ seasons down here in Hershey while so many other guys got a shot at the show. If he does play well enough, you should have plenty of other chances to see him in caps colors as he's only 21.

As for Clymer and Motzko, you'll have to blame your own GM for not spending the money wisely.

So the better option would be the teams having to pay to put games on ESPN? And seriously, Chris Bourque playing his first game isn't going to do anything to impress you. If he was that good he wouldn't have spent the last 2+ seasons down here in Hershey while so many other guys got a shot at the show. If he does play well enough, you should have plenty of other chances to see him in caps colors as he's only 21.

As for Clymer and Motzko, you'll have to blame your own GM for not spending the money wisely.

I thought ESPN wanted the same deal as NBC, where there is no fee, but ad revenues are split?

ESPN would have at least had more than the 2 minutes a month highlights they do now.

Did you see how much they hyped Arena League Football when they got it?

The NHL needed exposure after the lockout to put the game back in front of casual sports fans (With the exception of NHL and Soccer, I'm a casual sports fan, but I occasionally flick on to ESPN and see whats on, and frequently stay to watch).

Instead, they went for a short term cash hit, that has hurt viewership, and made it harder for the existing fans to catch their teams on the TV.

And yet, GMGM should have been fired before the rebuild. That move, I don't understand.

At this stage, they need to change GM and Coach

I thought ESPN wanted the same deal as NBC, where there is no fee, but ad revenues are split?

ESPN would have at least had more than the 2 minutes a month highlights they do now.

Did you see how much they hyped Arena League Football when they got it?

The NHL needed exposure after the lockout to put the game back in front of casual sports fans (With the exception of NHL and Soccer, I'm a casual sports fan, but I occasionally flick on to ESPN and see whats on, and frequently stay to watch).

Instead, they went for a short term cash hit, that has hurt viewership, and made it harder for the existing fans to catch their teams on the TV.

And yet, GMGM should have been fired before the rebuild. That move, I don't understand.

At this stage, they need to change GM and Coach

ESPN was willing to split revenues after their production costs were paid. They also wanted exclusive dates, like the one you're complaining about, and all games would have been on ESPN2. Versus is available in more than 72M homes, it's not like you can't get them anywhere.

ESPN would not be promoting the NHL like they do Arena Football or Soccer, to believe they would do so is folly. They get all of the benefits of any increase in viewership for any content that they already paid rights fees to acquire. Promoting the NHL would cost them time that they could be devoting to those other properties. The promo time would be a "loss" for them and any gain is then split between the NHL and themselves, reducing the return on their investment. Not to mention that ESPN continually reduced the amount of air time hockey was getting when they did have the NHL contract. Reduced promos, pull NHL2nite, cut highlight time and hire people who can't even pronounce the names of the biggest stars. ESPN treated the NHL and their fans like dirt.

Bettman did what he had to do in this case, take the money from the people who were willing to pay and promote the sport. When the NHL first signed up with ESPN, they weren't that big either. In this case it was a step backwards, but it was the obvious step from a business standpoint.

Well, now that the caps have only 2 wins in their past 11 games, what better time for this sort of quote to surface...

http://www.onfrozenblog.com/2007/11/07/more-dark-clouds/

Igor Arkhipov, an Atlanta-based correspondent for SovetskySport, met up with Alexander Ovechkin after last night’s game. He asked about the left winger’s future. This exchange will run in the Russian newspaper tomorrow:

Do you plan on changing teams at the end of the season? Washington’s game looks hopeless.

“I don’t know yet where I will be next season. I am not negotiating my new contract. I want to stay in Washington. But who knows what is going to happen?”

For anyone interested. Hanlon said Backstrom has played his last game on the wing. He will now be the full time 2nd line center.

When Clark gets back from injury he will be put back on the top line where he potted 30 last season.

Top lines now will look like this...

Ovechkin-Nylander-Clark

Fleishman-Backstrom-Kozlov

Semin is injured and not expected back any time soon, when he does, he may slot in as 1st line RW, pushing Clark back to the 3rd line with Pettinger on the left and Gordon centering.

By the way, for anyone who likes nice goals, Kozlovs first last night was pure brute force and skill, and Fleishman's was a scorers goal, really fast wrist shot, perfectly placed. Take a look on the highlights with the usual sites.

Sport announcer said they expect Semin back this Monday vs Panthers hope its not too soon like the last time. And with him back caps can put a nice long winning streak and get in to playoffs or at least one can hope.

Sport announcer said they expect Semin back this Monday vs Panthers hope its not too soon like the last time. And with him back caps can put a nice long winning streak and get in to playoffs or at least one can hope.

The offense semin is not providing that he did last year is more than made up for with nylander/kozlov.

The caps have less points this year than they did at this time last year.

Ovey is in the last year of his entry level deal, but ain't going anywhere

They best build a strong team around him or he walks after this next 5 year contract. Yes he will sign for 3-5 but if Wash is still in the same boat in 2010-11 enjoy watching him as a MapleLeaf or Ranger

They best build a strong team around him or he walks after this next 5 year contract. Yes he will sign for 3-5 but if Wash is still in the same boat in 2010-11 enjoy watching him as a MapleLeaf or Ranger

If the caps are the same team then, who would blame him.

Caps just traded Brian Sutherby to the Ducks for a 2nd round pick

I'm getting tired of this bull, how many draft picks do Caps need I think they should give some away to get some players NOW not some guys later in the draft that will be too green for NHL and will have to go to AHL for a few years. I want good team NOW!!!

Caps just traded Brian Sutherby to the Ducks for a 2nd round pick

I'm getting tired of this bull, how many draft picks do Caps need I think they should give some away to get some players NOW not some guys later in the draft that will be too green for NHL and will have to go to AHL for a few years. I want good team NOW!!!

And, it's the 09 draft, not this upcoming one