Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

2008 Washington Capitals thread

I'd say Atlanta is set with Lehtonen.

Isn't Kari an UFA or RFA? I think he has said several times he doesn't like being left out to dry by Atlanta.

If they want to go an Olie for Kari swap I am all for it.

As for Olie to the Avs Im shocked to hear an Avs fan say that. It seems all good Cap vets make their trips through colorado (Hunter, Kono, and a few others whose names escape me at the moment).

Didn't Nikolishin play there. I thought Kono wanted to be traded to them if possible after he was told by GMGM he wasn't in the long term plans, andbecause he was a professional about it, they obliged?

Or am I thinking of someone else?

You are right Smoke.

And not calling Hunter or Kono good Cap vets means you don't follow hockey.

Some news and notes to round out the caps season...

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capitalsinsider/

*Bruce Boudreau recently signed a multi-year extension that will keep him as coach for a "long time", he said. He'll be house hunting in Maryland soon.

*Olie Kolzig came and went before most of the other players even arrived. He also skipped the mandatory team meeting. That doesn't seem to bode well for his future here. Kolzig told a team spokesman that he "just needed some time".

*General Manager George McPhee said he plans to extend a qualifying offer to defenseman Steve Eminger, despite the fact that Eminger played so sparingly. Eminger said he would he open to returning, but would obviously like more playing time.

*The Calder Trophy candidates were announced today. They are: Pat Kane, Jonathan Toews, and Nicklas Backstrom.

*McPhee acknowledged that defenseman Brian Pothier's career could be in jeopardy. Pothier has been out since January with a concussion.

*McPhee also acknowledged that the team is very "concerned" about captain Chris Clark's groin injury, which improved but never was good enough for him to return.

*Boudreau said that defenseman Shaone Morrisonn played the past two weeks with broken jaw, which made it tough for him to eat. He also said Mike Green was hampered with hip pointer (suffered in Game 6) and a foot injury last game, and that Boyd Gordon had a torn hamstring in the playoffs.

Boudreau also said Ovechkin was suffering from a nagging injury, which is why he didn't practice for the last month of the regular season. Everyone suspected that he was hurting a bit, but since he didn't miss any time or lose any effectiveness, it never became much of an issue. I asked Ovechkin if it was his groin, he said "no". He also refused to say what exactly was bothering him.

Why is it always we find out that players were suffering from broken and amputated legs, had to play with 90 broken bones in their body, while suffering from a case of ebola right after they loast. Remember Crosby had that broken foot that we just found out after playoffs last year?

It bugs me, too. Its a way for the losing team to say "look how hard we battled, even though all our guys were beat up". The truth is both teams guys are hurting, but we won't find out who and how badly until their next series is over. One of my favorite things about the NHL is how players battle in the playoffs, but I think I'd rather just not know after things are done.

It bugs me, too. Its a way for the losing team to say "look how hard we battled, even though all our guys were beat up". The truth is both teams guys are hurting, but we won't find out who and how badly until their next series is over. One of my favorite things about the NHL is how players battle in the playoffs, but I think I'd rather just not know after things are done.

I guess you find out after because if they are going to play, they don't want the other team to know their weaknesses.

That might be why Mo didn't wear a protector on his jaw (like clark did), it would be like circling a target.

True, but I still prefer Ovy's method of denying it.

They asked Andrei Markov before Game 7 if he was playing with an injury he said "No!" then smiled at the reporter.

I think coming out with what all the players were going through is great. Not so much for people like us who are hockey fans, but for the new fans that flock to a team like the Caps with that sort of run. For them to see what the players played through gives them more insight for why we love this game and how much it means to these players to play

I think coming out with what all the players were going through is great. Not so much for people like us who are hockey fans, but for the new fans that flock to a team like the Caps with that sort of run. For them to see what the players played through gives them more insight for why we love this game and how much it means to these players to play

Cannot agree with you more. Fans don't realize how much teams don't let them know ya know? lol But anywho like you said, knowing what your teams players go through to help the team win makes a fan love certain players more.

There is a new site out there, for caps fans/hockey fans. Someone just posted it over onthe caps board. It's basically the russian blogs (ovey has a blog) translated into english.

This is Ovey's entry for April 10. He addresses the malkin situation also...

Here is the link http://www.tuvanhillbilly.com/index.shtml

Also has an interview with semin, and ovey says the ice for the world championship sucks. Turns to porridge after 3 minutes. After skating on the crud that is at Verizon Center all season, it must be really bad to draw comments.

10 April 2008

The Playoffs are just around the corner!

mood: happy

Hello everyone!! :)))

First off, I'd like to say thank you very much to all of you who have supported not only me personally but also the entire Washington team, who have hung in there with us and who have wished us success. We really managed to do it-- we made the playoffs!

I'm not going to hide it-- the last few weeks of the regular season were really difficult. The psychological pressure was extremely high, the tempo of the matches was crazy, but I am happy that we stood our ground and were able to complete our mission. The whole team played simply perfectly, and the little break we are getting right now is very helpful to us. Now we need to move forward: we have gotten to where we are, but the most important part of the season lies ahead.

I admit, I'm excitedly waiting for the cup games--after all these are the first playoffs of my life! We play our first game against Philadelphia on Friday, and I think that we will be refreshed and ready to go. To put it bluntly, we are ready for the fight!

Our series with the Flyers was the last one scheduled-- I don't know why, although this is not really important.

Now let's get to your questions :)))

Many of you have asked about my relationship with Evgeni Malkin. I don't really have anything special to say about this. The fact that we've had some hard hits on the ice --that is absolutely normal-- we're playing hockey here, not chess. There is no type of conflict between us, and I find it amazing that so many people ask about this and are so interested in this. Evgeni and I are not close pals, as he said in an interview, but there is nothing wrong with that. Basically, we have the usual player against player rivalry and nothing more. I hope, then, that this topic is closed. :)))

Another popular question has to do with the (*Russian National*) team. I agreed to come, but only if I didn't make it to the playoffs. As far as the topic of the team, I would also like to consider this matter closed. Right now I am only interested in club matters--I am expecting something really special from the Stanley Cup matches.

galinka_12, a 13 year contract--this is fantastic! I play for Washington and I want to continue to do so in the future. I want to win with this team and there will be absolutely no talk of getting fed up with them. After all, there are many players who play with one team their entire career.

As far as my nickname "Alexander the Great", well I like it! If I remember correctly, they called Mogilny "Alexander the Terrible", and here they are calling me "the Great". Basically, it doesn't matter to me what they call me-- this is all the work of the fans, and I really don't attach much significance to it.

t_link, I don't read any blogs of celebrities or colleagues.

chisham, there is a real hockey boom happening in Washington right now, and therefore there is a huge amount of fans and supporters. I don't make any big deal out of this.

Again, thank you everyone for your wishes and kind words! I'm going now to watch the first game of the play-offs on tv-- it is just now starting.

'Till we meet again! Yours always, Sasha Ovechkin ))

Hello fellow cap fans. I was at game 1 and game 7 of round one. Both excellent games but unfortunately total opposite outcomes.

I know it has probably been beat to death, but that interference non-call that led to an EN goal for philly to tie was utter garbage.

Either way, quite an impressive turn around. Ovie should definitely take the MVP. Hopefully a bright future for the caps, even if it is without Olie :(

Old news.

Not really, GMGM said if olie wanted to come back as a cap, they would take him back.

This is the first public comments kolzig made about his future, and has decided not to return to the caps.

It may not be surprising news, but it's relatively fresh