Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sk8

Does anyone remember those plastic hockey skates with the removable boot

What's up fellas? I was lurking here just to figure out what skates to get after 20+ years off...and joined this place mainly to respond to one post that cracked me up and now I can't find it: someone went off on how much he hates even being on the same ice with a teammate in "those ugly f***ing skates," referring to the only skates I ever wore (1975-1991). By the time I hung 'em up, I'd been through about 4 sets of TUUKS, starting with the very first generations to replace the original all-steels when they wore out.

JR, thanks for all the insightful info. Figured all you guys would find this interesting...also interested in your predictions on an upcoming experiment.

The last time I played was in 91 and except for one public skating session in 1995 (where my old Laser 5s finally crapped out irreparably) and a few dozen times on in-lines in 1998, haven't skated once since then. I never skated in leather in my life and would never have been able to, having learned to skate in Langes at 13. Just found out a new rink opened up near me and I used to like doing the skills-clinic-instructor thing (adult novices in the old NNHA-Hockey America), so I started thinking about it. Found these nearly new Lange Comps on ebay and sent 'em off to Blade-Tek in Manitoba to put on blades made since the last Ice Age and profile 'em. (Tried to post the pic but the function doesn't seem to work...or I can't figure it out).

Esposito's in the last model they made, there: Laser 5's...and the last time I was looking to buy a new pair, the just-retired Ron Greschner and I were competing to find the last available Size 9's in the NY Metro area...about 3 different places told me he already bought out their stock.

So the guy at Blade-Tek asks me why bother with these old relics because modern skates are to those things as cell phones are to rotary phones. While I'm waiting for my museum pieces to come back, I start researching online to figure out what else I might be able to skate in. Decide (largely based on reviews here...thank you), to try either NXGs or APX 2s, mainly because I figure the stiffer the better given what I'm used to. Order one of each on ebay figuring I'll compare 'em at home and send back one pair. They come yesterday. Since this place seems to have rules about language, I can't use the exact metaphor for what I expect it to feel like I'm slipping my foot into, given the all the comments about how amazingly comfortable these new top-of-the-line skates are, but you can figure it out...and it's not a dog. Fitting a new brand online was a calculated risk, but my 11 shoe-size fits perfectly into Bauer 9.5s. So far, so good.

Leme tell you something: comfort-wise outta the box these $650 and $800 TOTL skates got nuthin' on the old Langes. I can see how they're definitely infinitely more comfortable than old leather skates, but not even close to Langes outta the box...or outta ebay. The APX 2s are a lot less comfortable (for me) and after a little playing around with lacing and taping, the NXGs feel pretty close to my old Langes mechanically. What's up with these tongue inserts? I watched the videos and read the materials, but to me, even the softest ones restrict ankle flex too much, so I pull 'em out entirely and even without any, the lace bite on these is really no big deal at all. No doubt, the new materials are much more advanced in that they can flex in specific areas and directions without needing a hinge, but since putting on NXGs, I'm actually more impressed with how well-engineered these old Langes actually were.

So here's my prediction and curious what you guys (especially you, JR) predict: I'm gonna get these NXGs profiled and then take them with the old Langes (and new TUUKS) to the rink. I'm predicting that I feel "OK" in the old Langes...and either exactly the same or slightly worse in these insanely expensive new NXGs...and they'll be up on ebay as "nearly new, profiled, un-baked NXGs" and I'll take about a $200 loss on the experiment. (Of course, if I'm wrong and they really make a difference on the ice, I'll keep 'em and bake 'em up.)

Any predictions?

You've got to get the NXG's heat molded to get a proper feel from them. That's the whole point of the way their made. Only then can you make a fair comparison.

Shooter, are you saying that I won't be able to tell whether or not new NXGs are in improvement over the old Langes (besides the obvious weight difference) unless I bake 'em first? Surprised to hear that based on all the testimonials I found from people raving about them after trying them right outta the box.

Langes were the first skates I ever bought new in 1975. Sharpened them down to practically to the runners and could never find anyone to replace the runners and blades back then. They were by a country mile the most comfortable skates I ever wore. Definitely got the 125 dollars I worked so hard for out of em. Would love to have another pair.

Shooter, are you saying that I won't be able to tell whether or not new NXGs are in improvement over the old Langes (besides the obvious weight difference) unless I bake 'em first? Surprised to hear that based on all the testimonials I found from people raving about them after trying them right outta the box.

What I'm saying is that you need to bake the NXG to get a true feel for how they fit and perform. They were designed to be baked and the baking process customizes the fit to your foot. Obviously, some do not bake the, so you can certainly choose not to. It's not like you won't be able to skate in them without baking, but you need to bake them to get optimum performance out of the design.

SK8 is referring to either the Lange or possibly later Micron.

Make fun as some do but the Lange design (THE antecedent) was nothing short of a brilliant design as it allowed for an independent floating upper cuff which allowed biomechanical (flex)function as opposed to all standard boot design - then and still now (save for Graf's G7) - which works effectively against natural biomechanical longitudinal flexation. The plastic materials at the time in the late 1960's - early 1970"s were what they were as opposed to that of today. The removal liner (not boot) was actually quite nice as same could be pulled after session or in-between period and replaced with a new (dry) one. Many players had several liners and simply rotated them. A noticeable list of NHL greats, as well, most of the Soviet (Red) Army Team used Lange with complete satisfaction.

Many today complain about boots being too stiff and/or not naturally flexing and well they should with many affecting a "solution" by lacing one, even two eyelets short which precipitates quite often an open or non supportive upper cuff. Lange's independent floating upper cuff allowed full lacing and therefore support all the way to the top yet flexed naturally forward AND backward but never laterally. The DESIGN was 100% plus laterally stable with no lateral flexation or slop yet optimized one's natural biomechanical forward power - stride to the max. To skate in them was to experience still the best boot DESIGN ever, period. The only real complaint of genuine consequence was the soft aluminum flush rivets on both inside/outside of the lower boot/cuff which was the sole attachment. Periodically it could break. Again, it was soft aluminum and its design at the time was as good as one could get. Today that would be replaced with precision indexed flush steel as would the polyurethane plastic boot shell be "upgraded".

Aside from today's Graf G7 - which is not for everyone, starting with its larger volume design regardless of width, I'd love to see some manufacturer re-enlist Lange's still superior design.