Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

killthepoodle

The Pencil Test

I couldnt find a topic on this, just mentions an such in other threads, so I thought I would make this for my questions and as a place for others to add and compare with.

Pictured below are my 8090's and my XXXX's on my feet. The pen doesnt quite lay flat on the 8090's and see saws some on the XXXX's. You can see in the pictures how far up the edges are on the XXXX's (clean laces) versus the 8090's (dirty laces).

The XXXX's seem to fit my feet better than the 8090's, much more stable heel.

Am I doing this test right?

pt5.jpg

pt6.jpg

pt7.jpg

pt8.jpg

pt9.jpg

pt10.jpg

pt11.jpg

1. You're supposed to unlace the skates and push the tongue forward, then check if the pencil rocks against your (socked) foot.

2. You're supposed to be checking the area 3-4 eyelets down from the top, not from the bottom.

1. You're supposed to unlace the skates and push the tongue forward, then check if the pencil rocks against your (socked) foot.

2. You're supposed to be checking the area 3-4 eyelets down from the top, not from the bottom.

Excellent! This is why I made the thread. Thanks!

My ass needs a diet puck-it.

why even care about a pen test if you've skated in them and one skate feels better than the other. You pick whichever skate feels better on your feet.

I care because I still have pain unless I lace them very loose. I did not have pain while just walking around the store (pre baking)

Here are shots of the XXXX's.......you can see there is a gap between the edges of the pen and the boot, and in th last picture you can see I have to press it fairl hard into my ankle to make it touch the boot on both sides.

pt-20.jpg

pt-21.jpg

pt-22.jpg

If you can't lay the pencil directly across the third eyelet (from the top) without touching the top of your foot, you probably need a deeper boot. That should help with some of your pain issues.

Hmmm........can I go custom to fix this problem? Will NBH make a last with more volume for the XXXX? No one around here carries Graf, and all the CCM, RBK boots were too sloppy around the heel for me.

Have you looked into Eastons? I've had issues with Bauers but don't like the fit of the CCMs, and some of the Easton boots were a better fit for my foot. They tend to be a bit narrower in the heel than the CCM and RBKs

so how far can your foot be away from the pencil that you pass, but are able to tell if there is too much volume in your boot for your foot

Just so I'm clear on the pen technique. Are you basically checking to see of the tounge is sticking out past the eyelets?

sorry i shoulda made it clearer, you pull the tongue forward and run the pen across the 3rd eyelot from the top to see if the pen moves from your foot like wobbly if it does its too shallow. if the pen fits fine across but theres a gap between the pen and the top of your foot by more then a finger its too deep. if the pen is flat against the boot no wobbling and you can barely fit your finger under it then thats the boot for you.

poodle-dude,

I can't believe you were actually wearing 703's in 1996. How did you get them laced up?

I bought 9.5's, ton of extra room in the toe, bt the boot worked better. Plus I was still growing then.

Easton Skates are not deep fitting at all. I have a pair of 1500c and they are a bit too shallow for me.

2nd that...Easton's too shallow for high arches

Easton Skates are not deep fitting at all. I have a pair of 1500c and they are a bit too shallow for me.

I would concur with that on the 1500s. The pencil test for me is not even close either. My foot is way above the eyelets.

Couple that with the feeling on being on my heels, the 1500s are too shallow as well. Time to look at some 709s ...

What does it feel like when it's too shallow? Do you just get lace bite or something? What happens if they're too deep.

Yes, a high foot is a prime candidate for lace bite. In extreme cases, like me in a Supreme 50 IIRC, my foot was so high that I was above the eyelets and couldn't even lace the boot :P

Doubting that there exists a boot on earth that is too deep for me, I won't speculate on what problems would arise in such an instance, other than the fatigue factor of your foot having to support the weight of moving around a boot; you're more "carrying" than "wearing" it as it won't fit close enough to the foot to properly move with you as you skate.

What does it feel like when it's too shallow? Do you just get lace bite or something? What happens if they're too deep.

I'm in a boot right now that is too shallow... I get a lot of arch pain, and lacebite from time to time. The only way I can comfortably wear my skates, is by lacing them looser than usual. When I do that however, I feel like I'm more of less "on top" of my boot, rather that in the boot.

so, does that mean you need a boot with more volume then? a deeper boot?

All signs point to yes. It's not a fun problem to have.

Especially after purchasing vapor XXXX's. lol