Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

killthepoodle

The Pencil Test

I saw a video on YouTube on how to tighten skates

I hope it's not this one from Prolite:

this guy has no clue: "properly tied skate is supposed to be uncomfortable" - yeah right - what an idiot...

he's Ok as far as "extreme skating: goes - he was fun to watch

but he's new "basic skating skills" videos are plain painful - like backwards crossovers - instead of breaking it out as c-cut with outside leg (he never even mentions that as you inprove the outside foot never leaves the ice) followed by x-push with the inside he goes to demonstrate a chicken shut in the a$$ thing :)

:lol: :lol:

This guy is such a tool I almost fell out of my chair.

wow... "wrap your laces around your skates"...thats only causing people more grief and breaking down faster.. he failed what a tool.

like I said the guy is a tool when it comes to powerskating - he's got no clue

just watch him - his forward crossovers are missing the X-push as well

he isn't applying edges but because he uses 1/4 hollow he gets by...

the said thing (two actually) is that his videos are very popular on youtube & so people will learn incorrect things

and also that the guy isn't that bad - his transitions & foot work is actually quite nice.

these videos of this guy is way too funny. How can people take his classes seriously? I'd love to hear the conversation between the guy who sharpens his skates and him.

OMG he is crap...his foot is slipping out on his backwards crossover. He is leaning too far forward, he needs to get his balance in order (shoulders over hips, hips over skates). Then he needs to push outward with his entire edge, not his toe.

The problem with my Eastons is the volume. JR has actually suggested 709's or custom. However, I fail the pencil test, but seem to be having no ill effect. I dont get lace bite, and my feet are never sore one bit, even after being on the ice 2.5 hours. I also seem to be getting great performance out of the skate and feel agile in them. My question is, even though I fail the pencil test, if I am not seeing any ill effects, is this something I shouldnt be too concerned about?

why even care about a pen test if you've skated in them and one skate feels better than the other. You pick whichever skate feels better on your feet.

Ideally, you want to have a perfect fit. Failing a depth test isn't a perfect fit. Ill-fitting skates cause premature breakdown, lack of or over depth.

Ideally, I WILL have a perfect fit in my next pair....one way or another. These will be fine until then.

Hey guys. I recently went to a LHS and asked a rep who came in to size a guy for customs about the Pencil Test. He told me that's not a legitimate test done to fit for skates. Is that true or is he wrong? Don't shoot the messenger on it..I'm just repeating what he told me.

this guy has no clue: "properly tied skate is supposed to be uncomfortable" - yeah right - what an idiot...

but he's new "basic skating skills" videos are plain painful - like backwards crossovers - instead of breaking it out as c-cut with outside leg (he never even mentions that as you inprove the outside foot never leaves the ice) followed by x-push with the inside he goes to demonstrate a chicken shut in the a$$ thing :)

his lacing video is as gay as his "browned out" skates... unless rbk actually made those kind lol

Hey guys. I recently went to a LHS and asked a rep who came in to size a guy for customs about the Pencil Test. He told me that's not a legitimate test done to fit for skates. Is that true or is he wrong? Don't shoot the messenger on it..I'm just repeating what he told me.

He's right to a certain extent. There are people who fail the pencil test on either side but still have a great fit through the skate, so there wouldn't be an issue. It's a tool that is used, but by no means is it the end-all definitive answer on whether a skate will fit you.

Besides, true customs can have added material for more volume, or bring the eyelets down for less, making the fitting process more about width and foot profile for the sole, heel and forefoot.

This guy can barely skate himself it's not his place to be giving advice. This "Xtreme" skating he's doing is nothing more then you see small kids doing at public skates. I almost feel embaressed for him.

I found that he is a guy with too much time on his hands and not enough money to buy hockey equipment.

Since this thread is 2 years old and the pictures don't work anymore, what exactly is the pencil test and how is it performed?

Since this thread is 2 years old and the pictures don't work anymore, what exactly is the pencil test and how is it performed?

It's pretty easy. Put your foot in the skate, kick you heel back, and place pencil across the third eyelet like this:

4057093655_76b6e9a836.jpg

now look down at your foot, their should be some space between your foot and the pencil like this:

4057093837_e7d8ec24f2.jpg

if your foot touches the pencil, then you fail the pencil test. I don't have a pic of this, but I do come close to failing on my one95's.

4057093743_dce89b0289.jpg

It's pretty easy. Put your foot in the skate, kick you heel back, and place pencil across the third eyelet like this:

4057093655_76b6e9a836.jpg

now look down at your foot, their should be some space between your foot and the pencil like this:

4057093837_e7d8ec24f2.jpg

if your foot touches the pencil, then you fail the pencil test. I don't have a pic of this, but I do come close to failing on my one95's.

4057093743_dce89b0289.jpg

Actually, it was my understanding that if your foot doesn't touch the pencil, that means there is too much volume in the skate, and that's a fail. If your foot pushes the pencil off of the eyelets, that means there isn't enough volume, and that is also a fail. If your foot just grazes the pencil, then it's a Pass.

Kinda like Goldilocks.

But then again, I could be completely wrong.

i thought it was supposed to be the 4th eyelet?

It doesn't matter what eyelet you use. You can run the pencil down the entire length of the skate until the tongue gets in the way. Hell, my brother had a volume issue with his Grafs at the opening of the toe-box (where they're notoriously shallow), and mine typically happen over the mid-foot.

That being said, volume issues are *usually* most prominent in that third-to-fourth eyelet zone, at the top of the quarters. The pencil test works because it's an easy gauge of the fit in this area. Just because you get an ideal or less-than-ideal fit here doesn't mean the skate will necessarily work.

Absolutely. People with 'skinny ankles' may often find that skates have too much volume higher up the eyelets; people with thin feet and/or collapsed arches may find that a skate with too much midfoot depth allows their foot to pronate inside the skate, ala Forsberg (well, not quite that horrific, but you get the idea).