Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

killthepoodle

The Pencil Test

Hello again!

Few days ago i tried CCM U+ CL size 6.5D. They are much deeper so I passed the pencil test for all eyelets !! :) And don't have any lace bite... They could be even deeper but i think it's ok for me. I changed lace pattern to outside in and now i can bend my knees much more.

Here is my view on them:

CCM U+ CL are less stiff than Supreme one.8 for sure. I think they could be compared to the one.7 or maybe even not.

As everyone knows they are deeper, they are also little wider and longer than supreme one.8 size 6.5D, similar to the RBK fit.

They have good tongue imo better than supreme.

In the heel they are wider because there are tons of foam around the ankle so heel is not fully locked.

Just received my pair of RS skates. Put right skate on, and I failed the pencil test. Will I get any volume at all by baking them?

Will this necessarily mean that I will get bad lace bite?

pencil test for volume? are youre heels all the way back? if you bake youll get a tiny bit as your foot sinks in a bit but nothing huge.

how bad are you failing the pencil test by the way?

I had the RS back in December you're heel will go back further than you think the padding really opens up once they are baked. How bad did fail the test. Post pic if possible?

Getting them baked tomorrow. Will post a couple pics after the bake. How do these RS skates compare to Supreme Total One in terms of volume?

After I baked the Total Ones, they were fine.

I can't comment on total one..but after a bake my heels got further back in my RS than my one100s

For me the RS had a tad more volume after baking.

Ran into a new pair of APX's which are great length wise, but the test on eyelet 3-4 & below, I barely fail this pencil test. My toes just brush the toe cap, my heel is locked, but I have some tightness around both sides of where the toe cap begins on the boot... Skates have not been baked, so I'm not sure how much of this will change/go away.

A little confused here on the pencil test... Is it the top 3-4 eyelets or all that you're testing? (Conflicting info) Trying to determine if I should stick with these or go for another skate.

f391b093b8b017e6b5926a4e7077f306.jpg

Where the tightness/discomfort is on the unbaked skates

5fff36def37133cb7d138ca1eb0f9790.jpg

Laced pretty tight here

2a5cd3abd9e39d333c316dafb38e120f.jpg

My skates don't pass the pencil test but the feel good and I skate fine. My pro shop (which is knowledgeable) says if they don't hurt and you skate fine they are good.

I had a pair of Vapors with the exact same spot of discomfort. For me that spot became so painful that I would grimace when getting the skates on and off. After getting it punched out no more issue.

My skates don't pass the pencil test but the feel good and I skate fine. My pro shop (which is knowledgeable) says if they don't hurt and you skate fine they are good.

Most skates that fail the pencil test out of the box will initially not hurt and let you skate fine. It's 2, 3, 4 months or longer down the track when the tongue starts to break down and that cumulative pressure on your tendons begins to show through. And some people will not be bothered by it, I've seen feet that should never be in the boot they are but the players happily skate in them 2 or 3 times a week. Other players just have to look at a shallow boot and their feet start to ache.

For the long term health of your feet and trouble free skating, I'd rather be in a boot that fits than one that doesn't.

Most skates that fail the pencil test out of the box will initially not hurt and let you skate fine. It's 2, 3, 4 months or longer down the track when the tongue starts to break down and that cumulative pressure on your tendons begins to show through. And some people will not be bothered by it, I've seen feet that should never be in the boot they are but the players happily skate in them 2 or 3 times a week. Other players just have to look at a shallow boot and their feet start to ache.

For the long term health of your feet and trouble free skating, I'd rather be in a boot that fits than one that doesn't.

I'm one of those players that can spend hours in a pro shop trying everything they have to offer and still don't find the right fit.

I have small haglunds on both feet and keep it pain free and under control w/ punching sometimes pads.

I've been in Bauer 8090's for about five years pain free. Yes when I need to get a new pair of skates I will consider VH but until then I'm a happy skater.

Ran into a new pair of APX's which are great length wise, but the test on eyelet 3-4 & below, I barely fail this pencil test. My toes just brush the toe cap, my heel is locked, but I have some tightness around both sides of where the toe cap begins on the boot... Skates have not been baked, so I'm not sure how much of this will change/go away.

A little confused here on the pencil test... Is it the top 3-4 eyelets or all that you're testing? (Conflicting info) Trying to determine if I should stick with these or go for another skate.

If, whilst in bare feet, you put your heel on the floor and raise the front of your foot off the floor, you will be able to see the main tendon in the front of your ankle. Pressure anywhere on that tendon can lead to lace bite so generally anywhere from the 1st eyelet down to the 5th or 6th eyelet is the area of concern. However it is generally the 2nd / 3rd / 4th eyelets where the majority of lace bite occurs. It is not common to get lace bite across the flat of the foot because the pressure points in this area are different.