Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

KOR Shift2

Often, when reading a review, if I see things of interest I will want to do some additional research on the item. With that in mind, before I start, I wanted to list this thread: http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index...f=4&t=23475 that covers a lot of the Kor Shift1 and Shift2 observances from all walks of the MSH life.

BACKGROUND:

I grew up in Boston and played hockey from age 5 to 17. I was never what anyone would call "good" and mostly played in a house league (you'd have to be terrible not to make a team - basically, if your check cleared, you were in). I only played a few games of travel or JV when I was in high school, both experiences I was invited primarily as they were short and knew my brother who was quite good, but I was never invited back for a 3rd go.

ANYWAY, I started back up as an adult here in Dallas probably 10 years ago or so. I am an average beer-leaguer at the C league level (if others are used to such league-type measurements). I play on average 2-3 times per week year round.

I'm 6ft 1, 225lbs, 38 years old, and aging poorly :P .

What you will see as a recurring theme throughout is trying to find the right fit due to the shape of my toes. Specifically my big toe as I have (for lack of a better description) a bone spur on the side of my big toe that sticks out about a 1/2 inch. I even contacted two different doctors about having the abnormality removed, one refused as it was beyond his expertise, and the other worried that I might cause problems with the tendons which might lead to the joint "locking" possibly even causing the need to have the knuckle "pinned". Regardless, as a result my weird shaped big toe, my foot consistantly gets wider as it flares out from my ankle in a V shaped fashion. The problem this creates is that I have a hard time finding a toe-box that will fit my toe area in a way that will accomodate my bone abnormality on my big toe.

AN OVERVIEW ON THE REVIEW:

I have been using the skates now since the start of December. However, my experience really starts before using the skates.

I will start off with a real quick overview of other skates I've tried, then elaborate a bit on my experience with the Shift1, then how I came about getting one of the first kustom kor shift2 skates ever made, and my experiences / thoughts with them since.

NEXT UP: SKATES I'VE TRIED BEFORE

PRIOR SKATE MODELS USED AND INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

I thought I'd include this part so folks could use it as a frame of reference.

CCM Ultra Tacks, circa 1980 size 10d. I had gotten these in high school. At the time they were the cutting edge, but are flimsy and unsupportive by today's standards. They were nasty to skate given my weight and I can't fathom skating in them today (every time I'd charge into a corner I'd risk the chasis bending in one direction and my skate boot - and fat butt - going in another).

CCM 752 TACK, Kevlar Pumps, circa 1997-8 size 10d - Got these new through my brother with a share program Reebok had with CCM (this is prior to Reebok having bought CCM). I *REALLY* liked the pump concept. It was great for a custom fit in/around the ankle. If you didn't tie it tight enough, just pump some air in. As you skate a bit and your ankle heats up/swells you could just let some air out. Great skates, but they fatigued after 2 or 3 years (so they started torqing funny) and the rivets kept popping off the skates and eating through the plastic footbed. The kevlar covered toe-cap looked flat out nasty in short fashion (I should have used pro-toe) and made the skates look older than they really wore early in life. This was one of the early models to use the Pro-lite chasis and they made an odd shrill, shrieking noise when I skated on them.

BAUER SUPREME 7000's size 9d The transition from the CCM Tack series to the Supremes wasn't a pleasant one. The mid-foot was narrow and painful, with a high arch. The toe-box was smallish (a recurring problem for me - more on that latter in my kustom skate section) and, ultimately, it just wasn't the right skate for me. I really didn't like the feeling that I was on my heels (the pitch of the skate I guess) and the one-piece hard plastic tenon guard from the base of the ankle to the top of the skate made it difficult to skate backwards as it always felt like it was poking me in the back of the calf (probably not helped by the fact that I am a more upright skater than a bend the knees and skate from the sitting position type guy). The skate felt very "solid" and I could tell was quality, but it just wasn't right for me.

CCM 1152 Tacks Circa 2000 size 9d. These were the ones with the blue/brown checker board like fabric pattern. I really liked the cover they used on the toe box - wasn't like the old nylon cover and wasn't a straight plastic cap. I thought it was a nice comprimise. The tongue was likely the very best I have ever had on a skate. I did end up taking a skate off of the footbed causing a split all the way across the carbon fibre. The footbed was redone by CCM under warrantee. The skate wasn't light, per say (although, it was probably light for the time) but weighed about the same as the Supremes. It used the CCM FIT baking system and fit nicely. These didn't fatigue as as quickly as the 752's, were far more comfortable, and were the right fit for me at the time. However, as I got older either the bone spur on my big toe got bigger or my tolerance got lower as I got painful sensations on my toe that would last about a day every day after I skated. It was awful if I had games on back to back nights as my big toe would just throb. I tried to get them punched out but because the bone spur was inside the hard plastic toe cap they just couldn't squeeze much extra room out of them (hard to reach, not designed to get stretched, etc). I used them for many years and are still in my closet. Note that the size is different from my first 2 CCM pairs. I went with a tighter/smaller fit and was likely mis-measured in the Ultra Tacks. When I got the 752's I just ordered the same size as the Ultra tacks not knowing any better. I found the smaller size much easier to skate in. I skated in these for many years and they could still be used today if it weren't for my the toe box issues. Every other area of the skate was like a glove for me.

Easton Synnergy 1300 (size 10?) I got a good deal on these, but they were the beta model (not the 1300c) and the advertisement was a little short on the description in that it didn't have the bio-dry liner and the fit/finish was a bit funny. They were extremely light, with a roomy toe box (short and square - was great for my feet). I skated in them a few games, but the top of the skate started cutting my ankles right above the bone where they rubbed. Used them only a few weeks. Read other people's thoughts here: http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index...?showtopic=7064

MISSION S500 (size 10.5ee? Can't recall specifically) I *loved* the whole concept of the supple fit skate. I don't need any ankle support per say (I don't even lace the top 2 eyelets - sometimes 3 if I can get away with it) so really loved the concept and they fit so nice yet weren't unsupportive or too flimsy. Protection was a little on the low side of average though. The arch, however, was too high (very painful). I tried to get past this by putting plastic shims in the back of the skate to try to "lift" it over the high arch, but ultimately I couldn't get comfortable in them. The toe box was too narrow anyway so these weren't for me. Tried them for about 3 to 4 months but just couldn't get it to work. Sold to a buddy who loved them. Read other poster's thoughts here: http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=87

Kor Shift 1 Size 10 - I did the "test skate program" on these. I will talk about this in the next reply section. Read other people's thoughts here: http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index...showtopic=15228

EASTON 1500c (size 10wide?). These were even lighter than the 1300's. The forward flexion was much improved upon and the interior was comfy lined with soft padding. Like the 1300's, I loved the toe box which was short and square allowing ample room for my fred flintstone feet with a 1/2 bone jutting out of the side of my big toe. Protection was superior to anything I had tried before to this point. Lots of people gripe about the Razor Blade holders, but I didn't notice anything bad about them. I didn't get any ankle cuts like I did with the 1300's. I got the wide model, and the ankle area was far wider than I needed (bad, bad ankle slop). However, they were SOOOO stiff! I really felt I had to yank the hell out of the laces to make the sides encompass my feet like they should. This led to horrendous lace bit (awful) leaving pulsating welts on the top of my feet (might have been in part due to the flimsier tongue). Combined with the ankle slop, and these weren't for me. I skates in these for about 6 months then off to ebay they went.

CCM Pro Tacks 2006 model with "Pro Armor", size 9e. The wider ankle made the skates feel "longer". Not quite the toe dusting at the end of the toe cap like my 1152 9d's were. The toe box, however, was wide enough I didn't have the problem with my toe hurting after games from constantly rubbing on the side of the cap. The skates were far lighter than what I had expected. The scaloped steel didn't really do anything funny for me, but some have said they "flex" a bit when cornering hard (don't know if that's good or bad - probably personal preference). However, I am a bit dim, so maybe it happened and I just didn't know.... These were protective, but not fantastic. If you take a shot directly off the side of the foot you're going to know it. They held up nicely, though, and were pretty cut resistant and still looked great months later. The tongue was a disappointment though. The felt part wasn't covered all the way around the edges (just at the top of the tongue), causing it to fold funny sometimes when putting the skates on. The only "protection" in the tongue was a single peice of plastic down the middle. Wasn't anything near as nice as the 1152's in my opinion. Overall, a great performing skate. However, the skate was wider uniformly across the entire skate. There was ankle slop as a result - especially after skating a bit as when the sweat started my heel would feel like it was slipping not just side to side but also upward in the skate. I then started skating to the very top eyelet of the skate to help keep my heel in place. That helped, but I really don't like skates laced that high. Forward flexion was still reasonable, though, even when tied to the top. I can't say enough positive things about the lace-lock. How couldn't someone have thought of this before? Simple, but brilliant. Really something special and great! A feature that I will miss in any other skate going forward. Overall, if the heel was a better fit, I'd still be in them today.

Read what other people thought at http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index...showtopic=16895

I skated in these for 9 months and still have them as my backups.

NEXT UP: MY 'TEST DRIVE' EXPERIENCE IN THE KOR SHIFT 1 SKATES

KOR SHIFT1 TEST DRIVE

Much like the S500's, there was something about the science that just had me intrigued. As I mentioned, I don't like to lace my skates to the top. Thus, the low cut boot REALLY sounded like it was for me. *I AM STILL SOLD TODAY ON THIS CONCEPT*. I just don't need a high cut boot. Wish they hadn't done away with this in the Shift2.

The baking process was quite weird and unlike any other I'd experienced. It's a sight to behold how these mold to your feet. Whether real or imagined, I felt I could get closer to the ice with the lower cut - I felt like my only limitation in cornering agressively or sharp turns was the edge on the blade.

I didn't feel like I had any extra space in the skate around my feet (i.e., a great fit). They were stiff and protective, yet didn't feel restrictive.

I love the pitch holder/chasis system - The concept is greatness. I found myself toying with this all the time (even though I had done so on the S500's, too).

The skates were more bottom heavy than I would have thought, but nothing that worried me. Of course, perhaps they felt heavy overall after just coming off the 1300? If they were heavier than my 1152's I couldn't tell.

These also cut my ankles right above the ankle bone (have permanent scars there) as a result of my not lacing them to the top. The edges of the top of the skate near the eyelet were like little razors and cut through my sock. Of course, I had just come from the 1300, where this also happened, so this is likely more to do with having not fully healed from the 1300's than anything else.

I think the toe sock was a great idea. Made it feel like a snug fit, and a little extra insulation from the cold and occasional errant puck.

Protection was just flat out fantastic.

I didn't overall care for the silver exterior liner though. I'm more of a classic black leather look myself (although, people commented on it all the time - typically in what I thought was a positive fashion). Just not my style though. Just a personal preference thing

The biggest problem was, again, the toe box. It just wasn't wide enough. This was likely compounded by the toe-sock (which I do love) as it took some of the interior room away.

I got permission from Kor to try to punch out the toe box area a bit to see if I could create more room (since the bone spur area was pretty concentrated) without voiding my test drive program. That didn't do it for me. The place where I needed more room was to far within the plastic cap which just didn't want to have any shape other than it's current one. Plus, it was so deep into the skate that it was hard to get at anyway to punch out.

I talked to Vince Maillet at Kor and asked if there was anything else I could do. He'd mentioned that they were going to move factories from Asia (China?) to North America and once that was up and running they might be able to customize something for me at that point, but they'd not be able to do anything for me at that time for the current Shift1 model.

I reluctantly turned the skates back in as the test program expired.

I skated in these for close to 2 months (I don't think that is normally the length they allow, but again, had talked to Kor about stetching the toe box area and they were willing to let me try for a while longer) but they left a positive and lasting impression in my mind.

COMING UP NEXT: A LESSON IN HOW CUSTOMER SERVICE SHOULD BE DONE: My interaction with Kor employees and, ultimately, one of the first pairs of "k"ustom Kor Shift2 skates

Top notch customer service - My steps to ordering custom Shift2's

Ever email I have ever sent to Kor has gotten answered over the years I'd been sending them. When I last talked to Vince Maillet he said they were close to being able to offer custom Kor skates (as everything about the Shift1 was great for me.... except the toe box). I was disheartened to hear that there was still no progress in a custom program this past March. So, I picked up a pair of Pro Tacks on closeout.

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, the Pro Tacks toe box in an E width were great... but the cost was too much room in the ankle area. It wasn't horrid, but I did notice some slippage in the heel. I counter-acted this by lacing to the top to help reduce the slippage, but it still wasn't optimal for me.

So, on a whim, I wrote Kor again in August of '07, and that's where the story picks up. Kor President Michael Cagle wrote me back himself (I'd just written their generic info email, so was impressed to get such personal attention) three days later.

Mr. Cagle put me in touch with his engineering team and over seemingly dozens of emails back and forth, including measurements, pictures, and outlines of my feet we got the project started. We used my CCM Eur sizing as a reference along with the measurements to guess-timate what my size would be in the Shift2. Engineer/Project Manager Eduardo constantly kept me in the loop with timelines, the progress, while asking a question here or there to make sure that things would go well.

The most amazing part of the whole process was really the responsiveness of the company as a whole. Think about it - if you wrote CCM, Bauer, or Easton would you get such personalized, direct attention from the organization? At best, you'd get a low wage service rep who'd likely give you a generic answer and pawn you off to contact some local rep or hockey store who likely wouldn't be able to help you (at least, not here in Dallas).

The service was just fantastic and I had my first custom pair of skates within 5 weeks of my having contacted them!

The first skates arrived and I was impressed. They looked like they were production with no evidence of being custom made. They were dramatically wider than my Pro Tacks and the toe box looked like it'd be great.... only..... the skates appeared a tad short. I tried baking them but no matter what I did, they were too short. The EUR sizing seemed right, and they were the same size I was wearing in the Shift1's (from recollection at least).

So, I was a bit worried to say the least. However, I contacted Kor and they stood behind their product and had me ship them back to be replaced with a bigger model.

This go around, though, I didn't want to leave as much to risk. I looked around on the internet for quite some time, and contacted a local ortho on how to get a mold for my feet. There was some question regarding whether I wanted weight bearing and what not. I went with this product: http://www.stssox.com/ which was way cool. It was a sort of fiberglass sock that you wrapped over your foot after wetting and hardened in a few minutes (normally they have a minimum order and likely only sell to doc's, but someone in the org decided to take pity on me and sell from a broken pack). These things hardened so fast that I took my attention off of them for just a minute to answer a question and one of the two socks was ruined as it was too stiff already to finish the task.... I did get one really good mold, though.

So, I then went to a local hospital and bought some foam footbeds which you essentially just step into and would make an impression.

Armed with these differing molds, I sent the skates, one full tubular mold of my lower leg / foot, and the two foam impressions back to Kor.

This started another volley of emails with the Engineer at Kor. What was great about Eduardo is that the questions he asked were intelligent and you could tell were trying to get as exact of information as possible. Like before, I felt every question was catered specifically to my situation and when he asked my opinion on something he was sincerely interested in the answer and gave it thought (me? If some random person offered me their opinion on a product that I was trained and educated in I'd likely just laugh it off). In addition, he continually kept me in the loop, emailing updates/progress reports and the like.

Let me just add that I don't impress easily - especially if I am paying top dollar for a high-end product. I expect excellence if I pay for it, know what I mean? However, even with such high standards, I was extremely impressed with the sincerity and attentiveness of the Kor team. I wouldn't hesitate to tell anyone who had a question about the product to recommend they contact Kor directly as I would feel comfortable that they'd give them the same prompt attention that I recieved. I can not convey how well I was taken care of.

NEXT - MY FINAL PAIR OF KOR SHIFT2 KUSTOM SKATES

KUSTOM SHIFT2 SKATES - EARLY IMPRESSIONS AFTER A FEW WEEKS OF USE

OK, so the wait was worth it regarding the fit of the toe box! The skates are here, and the toe box fits brilliantly. The length is fine (perhaps could be just a tad shorter, but considering how the last pair was far, far, far too short it's nothing of concern).

They didn't put in the toe sock, but instead, lined the toe-box with rubber/neoprene (sp?). I love it. Not only a reasonable insulator for the cold, but helps relieve pressure of my bone spur against the plastic and probably adds a hair of extra cushion perhaps if you take a shot to the foot? Regardless, it's greatness.

Apparently their engineers even added a little bit of extra thermoforming area near my "sizemoids"(?) basically allowing me to punch the skate out near my big toe should I need it. The silver exterior liner does look a bit lower than I remembered on other models - I figure this is the formable area. Thus far, I haven't felt I needed it, but DO like knowing I have that ability (since you can't typically punch out a toe box).

The super-foot insoles are a bit small for the skate. I was concerned that it would be an issue (slippage and the like) as it's about 1/8 an inch too short. However, I have not been able to tell the difference what-so-ever while skating and in some ways it's nicer as it's easier to take it out of the skate after a game so it can dry properly.

The weight is a bit heavier than I would have expected, and feels heavier than my Pro Tack. However, it's not dramatically heavier and is still lighter than my 1152's and lighter than the Shift1. Thus, the weight's not really an issue. It should be pointed out that mine would be heavier than standard since it's a wide model. The weight could also just be percieved as it seems "bottom" heavy compared to the top of the skate. Tough to describe, but since this is the way you wear them anyway, it's not an issue with skating and the balance is uniform throughout the skate. Just passing on an observation on this one.

Speaking of width.... these puppies look ENORMOUSLY wide. It's probably just a coloring trick (i.e., black is supposedly visually slimmer) but hold them next to my Pro Tacks and they look funny-wide (but not at all clown-ish, it's just noticeably wide).

The fit/finish of the skates is amazing. I was worried there might be too much of a hand-made/one-off production component to the skate, but I can't see anyone as being able to tell that they weren't a standard production issue. It's flawless near as I can tell.

There were a few concerns I had, however. I already mentioned the footbed (turned out to be a non-issue). If it were up to me, I'd have a better tongue. I have been spoiled by the fact that the tongue on the 1152's are so good. These felt a little thin.

The width of the midfoot is probably too wide. Even after baking (for the first time) I could barely feel the side of the skate against my foot. When I skated it felt like it was too loose of a fit. Could just be something I needed to get used to, but it sort of annoyed me. So, I put on some wax laces and REALLY torqued down on it to make it feel tighter. This lead to lace bit and large, red welts on the top of my feet as well as the skates looking "pregnant" where over the top of the foot the laces were further apart making the skate look bloated. The lace-bit was especially of concern to me as that's why I eventually got rid of my 1500's.

SO, I baked them a second time, this time tying them tighter over that section of the foot (the heating instructions said not to over tighten, but I figured this would help bring the sidewalls in a bit). This helped. A few weeks later, I decided to try to reheat again as I felt there was still a little bit of extra space on the sides. Only this time, I used a thin piece of long cloth and wrapped it around the mid-foot through the Pitch holder and pulled as tightly as I possibly could fashioning a knot over it to really pull the sides in. Again, I could notice a difference. I've only skated in them once since, but think I have tweaked this issue into submission. I do think there could be a bit more volume over this part of the foot, though. Not enough for it to be a concern to me (as I think I have the issue solved), but those with "taller" feet over the top of the arch might find an issue. Again, mine are custom, though, so perhaps this isn't an issue with the standard Shifts. I'd recommend just paying close attention to it when trying them on in the store, but do know that heating will change the scenery quite a bit.

For those that have never seen these baked before, you will be amazed! The first time I heated my Shift2's (the pair I ended up sending back because were too short) I don' t think I let them heat enough. It was pliable, for sure (when they come they're stiff as a board and the side walls practically stand straight up) but when I re-heated the replacement pair I left them in for an extra 2 minutes and the difference was just amazing. It felt like stiff cloth (think about how you can flex a re-inforced tongue of a skate - felt a bit like that). It was really amazing.

The great part of this is most skates heat-form by allowing the inner padding/liner contour to your feet. These, the SKATE actually contours to your foot.

What's even more interesting is when these cool, they are as stiff again (perhaps TOO stiff, in fact). Bottom-line? There’s quite a bit of science here. It's tough to describe until you see it.

The directions that come with the skate (for baking) are detailed and informative. Really eased the process a bit as both of the shops I took them to for baking were not savvy on the methodology behind it.

I thought that the inner padding/liner was a bit stiff at first. So much so, in fact, that my ankle bone always hurt in the first period (almost felt like it was bruising). I don't know if this was because I didn't lace them to the top (and it rubbed while flexing forward), or because the boot was so much stiffer in that area.... not sure. But, it was definitely noticeable. I was always used to it by second period, though, but...

HOWEVER, since my first wearings this has become less and less of an issue. I don't know if it's because I am breaking them in, because of the 2 extra bakings, if it's because fewer games per week due to the holidays, or if I'm just getting used to it - but this really hasn't been an issue in the last 10 days or so. I will keep mindful of this going forward, though.

I felt the skates were rather too far back on their heel in the neutral position. I come from Tacks, which I understand is a "neutral" skate (with Bauers being on the heel, and Graf being towards the toe? I believe that's the generic standard?), but these are definitely on the heel compared to what I was used to.

Of course, by using the Pitch holders, I was able to remedy this. However, if that's what takes me to the comfortable "CCM" state, not sure what those wearing Graf's would think (they probably wouldn't like it even in the pitch holders most aggressive state). Also, putting the skates in the negative/most heel position would be out of the question (think even Bauer skaters would find it too far back).

One of the things I continue to have problems with on the skate is the longer runners. My CCM's were 280, and these use 288's (they stick out at each end much more noticeable than my Pro Tacks). The boot is roughly the same size - the runners are just longer. At first, especially, I had problems (always felt like I had my feet set in cement when starting from a dead stop - REALLY had to rock pretty far forward to get moving). Also, crossing over was an issue (when skating backwards once trying to make the transition to forward skating I actually clipped the toe of one skate into the heel of the other and wobbled a bit losing balance). This could be exaggerated by the fact that the steel hasn't been profiled yet (as comes with sharpening over time).

However, no profiling, longer runner = issues for me. I am confident I'll get used to this over time, though. The positive end of the longer runner is that (and maybe it's just perceived) once I get going I feel like I can go faster without pushing as hard. This is backed by science of course (same amount of force applied to a longer surface should equate to more force being applied to the ice propelling faster, right?). Bear in mind, I am not a physicist (but I did stay at a Motel 6 last week, so....).

The protection the skate offers is far, far above average. I have taken a few pucks to the feet and while I feel the force by way of if my foot isn’t firmly planted it feels like a rope is tied to them and pulling them out from me, my foot bears no ill affects of the blow (not even a hint of a bruise). Now, it could just be that I’d have been fine in any skate I suppose, but it really appeared to me to be better than what I had supported in almost any other skate to date, with only the Synergy’s being on the same par.

I will add a few more impressions later after a few more skates. I may even try switching back to my Pro Tacks for one game then back to the Shift2's to see if anything jumps out at me again. I feel I am still getting over the "learning curve" of getting used to such a drastically different skate. At first, I was unsure if I'd like it, but as I use them more and more, I get used to it more and more and have fewer and fewer issues (pretty much status quo I would imagine by not only changing skates but brands and materials).

OK.... OK.... an update has been long over due. Don't have a ton of time so I am going to cheat a bit (kept meaning to update, but you know how it goes).

First off, I have been contacted by at least 6 different posters asking about my experience with Kor and general questions about the skate, custom process, customer service at Kor, etc.

Regarding customer service, thus far, everyone I have talked to (or talked into) who have contacted Kor have had the same rapid and helpful responses that I had. I've never heard anything that was not favorable, and they've all marvelled at how easy Kor is to work with.

In regards to my issues with the skates (and here's the part where I mention I am going to cheat), I wanted to share the below correspondance I had with a fellow MSH poster who had questions regarding Kor. In it, I address a few of my issues and what's going on currently with me and the skates. I think the next step for me is heel lifts to be honest, because they are still too far back on the heel.... but on to the message! I will try to actually write more next go around:

Hey,

I'm a longtime member just don't post that much. I found your long term review on the shift2's to be very informative. I am currently going through the initial process of getting some custom skates from Kor and was wondering if you had solved all of your issues with your skates and how they are holding up. So far I have been very happy with Kor's customer service. Their replies have been prompt and professional. The custom program goes as follows, pay-they ship you a sock mold-ship mold to them-get skates in 2 or 3 weeks. They quoted me 499 retail + 99 for customs. Anyway just thought it would be good to get as much info before I take the plunge.

Thanks,

Hey!

Glad you found the info helpful. I mimic your view on Kor's customer service - I found it to really be stellar. They seem sincere in wanting to service the end user and the give/take process was really impressive. I can't emphasize enough at how great this aspect of Kor is/was.

I am happy to hear they're doing the sock mold thing (I may have even contributed to that idea, at least to some degree). I will warn you - pay VERY close attention to that part of the process and when you are ready to do it, have no distractions and read/understand the directions before starting (I was trying to get crap off my hands for weeks as a result of trying to rush through one after waiting too long to put on correctly). The end result for that one foot was unusable, and I ended up with crud on my hands that paint thinner wouldn't even take off.

As for how the skates are holding up, they are very, very durable. Absolutely no issues there. Based on my experience on both the Shift1 and Shift2 (albeit both breif in tenure - although, Shift2 is still in progress obviously) I can't fathom durability being an issue. That is, of course, just my own experience. The puck protection, by the way, is just amazing.

Regarding my sort of individual "issues" around the skate, not all have been resolved per say. Lace bite and "boating" of the skate over the top of the foot (due to being too shallow at that part of the skate) have been somewhat resolved, but a few other things still have me wanting a bit. None of it likely has anything to do with the skate or custom process, just my getting used to a dramatically different skate. If I had to articulate, I'd say that there are four things of note:

1) The skates are VERY stiff. The padding could stand to be better in the ankle bone region. It is not "spongy" at all, so takes some getting used to as a result of the stiff boot (i.e., may not be quite as comfortable as you may be used to depending on what skate you are coming from). Forward flexion could possibly be an issue, too, but I don't lace to the top so this is a non-issue for me.

2) The skate-boot is approximately the same length as my previous skates. However, the runners are longer. Having been in a 280mm runner for about a decade and going to a 288mm runner is causing me fits for some reason (blame the skater, not the skate in this case). It's really not that much longer, but it just feels like I have to lean so much farther forward to get started from a dead stop. This could be related to point 3 as well (which follows):

3) The boot, even with the pitch holder in it's most aggressive state, seems very far back on the heel (I can't see anyone wanting the pitch holder in it's most heel-like stance). I almost want to put in heel lifts so I don't seem so far back on my heels. I came from a "nuetral" CCM Tack skate and noticed it right off the bat. As I understand it, Graf skates are the most toe-aggressive stanced skates. With this in mind, I should imagine those former Graf-users will be the biggest critic of this.

**ADDED NOTE: I am hopeful that adding heel lifts will help with points 2 and 3. The fellow posted noted a similar issue with other skate transitions and said going with longer runners felt like being on ski's. I think that's a good way to describe the rather bizarre feeling. I mean, it's only 8mm so you'd think it wouldn't be an issue, but.... ANYWAY, I think that fixing the overall pitch issue will help**

4) The heel fits amazingly well (seriously fantastic heel lock) and the toe box is a stellar fit as well. I especially love what they've done by adding a padded liner in the toe box. However, I have never been able to get the mid-foot as snug as I am used to. Oddly, I have tried my old skates on a time or two and have almost found them too tight in comparison so I think I am getting more and more used to this. Thus, I think that given even more time this won't be an issue. It's not a sloppy fit, mind you. In fact, if I put on an extra pair of socks the sides feel far better (and realistically how thick are a pair of Target bought sweat socks? ESPECIALLY after a few washes?). However, this is supposed to be a custom fit, you know? So why should I need an extra pair of socks? I think this latter point is requiring me to change my thought process on as it may be biasing my expectations (i.e., get past the whole "it's custom so it should be exactly everything I ever wanted and used to and more).

ANYWAY, as I look back about all of the above points, I think these are all things that if I just continue to skate on they will become non-issues. I am switching brands and fit here (not to mention the skate materials), so it's all a learning curve/transitional thing I think. Furthermore, I was literally one of the first ones they've ever tried, and I know they are doing more and more now and with each one their process is better. If I had it to do all over again, I still would do it again as I have found the whole process deeply informative (from a learning perspective) as well as fascinating from a procedural perspective. Futhermore, and perhaps ultimately, I needed some solution to my foot pains so that makes it worth it to me. On the other hand, I had set more than enough aside in my budget for this so cost wasn't an issue for me and it would have been a major factor if it were in the past.

That help? Aside from any of this, are there any specific questions you might have?

Also, presuming I strike your name from the message, you have any issue with my posting your question on my long term thread? Figure it might help if others have questions (plus I have been wanting to do an update but just haven't found the time).

The heel lifts worked great to overcome the longer "wheel base" (runners). I no longer feel like I'm skating on ski's. So a relatively easy and cheap fix for a vexing problem.

The wider midfoot still feels weird. Makes the skate feel too roomy on the sides and almost a bit wobbly as a result (if that makes sense).

The great thing about the Kors, of course, is that they can be reheated multiple times with no structural problems what-so-ever. So, next chance I get I will reheat the skate and put direct but medium amount of pressure on the inseam of the skate to see if I can close the gap a bit / make the mid foot a bit narrower.

Will update again later after I try the "mid foot fix" and get a few skates in on them.

OK, I did the thing I alluded to in my previous post regarding reheating to overcome the extra mid-foot room.

Basically, I reheated the skates and, with no foot inside the skate, put light pressure on the inseam of the foot/skate for about 10 minutes. I didn't stand on them, mind you, but if you have the skates heated right you'll know it as they become very pliable with minimum force. Thus, just a little tends to go a long way.

ANYWAY, after about 10 minutes, I tied the skates focusing on tightness across the area I was having issues with. I am very happy to say that this took care of the issue nicely. The trade off is that the ankle area is a bit tighter, too. If I had a do-over I'd still do it, but unlace the skates save for the area in need of attention - I had mine laced to the top and I think I heat-formed it narrower in the ankle region (remember - I ddin't have my feet in the skates when I was applying pressure to the mid foot). However, I may just store a ball in the ankle when I let the store the skates between games. I could, of course, spot heat or reheat.... bit it's not dramatically bad in the ankle so it will likely just be fine using the ball.

The difference without as much room in the mid foot is very noticeable in my mind. I really prefer it snug (not painful, mind you, but before seemed too roomy and volumous). I think a lot of people have noticed that the Shift2's have more volume than the Shift1 and I'd say that's the case with mine even though they are custom.

The skates are still extremely stiff (make my pro tacks feel "flexy" in comparison). I think the foam used in the padding could be a little more forgiving in areas - notable the ankle bone (even before I accidentally closed the ankle area in more than I wanted with the above reheating, it was noticeably firm bordering on hard on the ankle bone).

I have had others comment on this same thing as well. Perhaps what might be a way around is to offer a softer foam at least in that area (similar to what Nike does with it's flexlites)? Bear in mind, you do get used to it after the first period or so, but I notice it pretty much each time I put the skate on before a game after walking to the ice from the lockerroom. Again, I get used to it, and it's not intolerable, just a wist list thing....

AND AN ASIDE FOR THOSE READERS WHO LIKE WAX LACES... I used wax laces on my skates as I was spolied with my Pro Tack lace locks and became accustomed to having grip assistance when lacing up. Anyway, I felt the wax laces really helped in the early part of the heat forming process. However, now that I have heated my skates something like 4 times (those cringing should note that I talked to Kor before going nuts on the heating and they said they are designed to be reheated far more than the other brands which say the limit is 3) the wax seems to have disappated from my laces. They just don't bite/hold like they used to (I didn't think about that when heating the skates).

SO, a helpful tip from me for those with wax laces? If you want to stretch some mileage out of them, you should likely have your skates baked with "normal" skates - especially if you heat them more than once else you might find that your wax laces have morphed to normal laces.

Aside from trying to further customize the fit of the skate some things of note: thus far I have been very impressed with the skates protective capability and their durability (even with reheating I don't see signs of it breaking down or significant cosmetic blemishes from play). As I mentioned the toe box room is glorious (remember - the toe box was custom). I love the fact that I am not limited by heatings and the skate shows no sign of spongyness as a result of having heated them multiple times. Each time after cooling it appears to be as if it came out of the box that way (and it's REALLY impressive how pliable they are after heating properly).

To recount a few nit-picks; while I love the wide toebox, there seems to be a bit more volume elsewhere in the skate than I need (in fact, the toe box might be a bit "tall" / deep for my needs but considering the comfort on the sides I can more than live with this). Also, if I had my druthers, I think the tongue could be improved to help lace bit (no longer a problem with me, but I was worried early on about it). Also as mentioed elsewhere I recommend heel lifts as (for me at least) the skates were too far back on their heels for my liking (and I found that the heel lifts really helped me overcome the longer blade length - don't even notice it anymore). In addition, the ankle padding could use some kinder foam around the ankle bone. For those that lace to the top, I could also forsee forward flexion to be a problem (I leave the top eyelet unlaced and it's not an issue for me as a result).

I would also like to point out that I recognize that these are an expensive skate and that most will be reluctant to purchase if it's not a named brand that they are familiar with / used to. For those that harbor such reluctance but are intriqued by the science, might I recommend visiting HockeyGiant.com? They have a bevy of the Shift1's on sale right now for about $199. I absolutely, positively think that this is a steal for the price. I loved the lower cut boot that the Shift1 offered (wished i could have gotten it on my custom Shift2's). The volume of the Shift1 is not quite as much as the Shift2, and I don't recall the pitch of the boot being as heel oreinted. Seriously, for the money? If you are hesitant but like what you hear, if you can still get these skates for $199 at hockeygiant, DO IT. Great price for such a durable skate that has so much advanced technology put into it.

I will try to update again in about a month or so.