Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kovy_Ribs_Fedo

Habs fans topic 07-08

I can't believe how the team is dropping in the last 3-4 weeks. Kovalev and Pleckanek seems like the 2 only guys in the whole team that can challenge the opposition. I have also a lot of question's mark on Carbonneau's coach. How can he put Koivu 25 minutes a game when Kovalev is given 16-17 minutes of icetime. How can he pull Kovalev the best player of this team off the shootout. The team needs to rely on Kovalev, not on Koivu, Koivu needs a second role, Kovy can take that first role. He's strong like a horse, he can skate and play against anybody in this league. So the only chance we can win is to put Koivu on the second line where he belongs and put Kovalev on the first line and on the point for the powerplays. My lines would look like that...

Higgins-Pleckanek-Kovalev - play them all the time, 20-25 minutes a game they can compete, they have the energy and the skills

A.Kostitsyn-Koivu-S.Kostitsyn - this lines seems like it could be interesting and it could help Koivu a lot. + Koivu will be more valuable to this team on a second role

Steit-Chipchura-Ryder - best 3rd line we can possibly have IMO, i'd say it's not that bad

Begin-Lapirre-Dandenault - 3 quebecers on the enrgy line, they would give all their heart for this team, they can bring a lot of energy and grit to this team. I would not put them more then 6-7 minutes a game though, maybe more if we a lot of penalty killing situation.

Habs fans, I want your thoughts on that.

Oh, and please Kovalev on every shootout :angry:

Another kovy nut swinging topic. He's a great talent, everyone knows that. But you are about the only guy who would trust him to lead the team on the first line when he only shows up when he feels like it.

Koivu is struggling, and it sucks to see. He's got more heart then all of his team combined. Ryder is struggling, but I dont think the right thing to do is stick a guy who cant play D on a checking line. He'll never break that slump.

I'm far from the only guy who would trust him to lead this team, you will see it when fellow MSHers will respond.

BTW, Kovalev, Higgins and Pleckanek have showns more heart then Koivu this year.

Another kovy nut swinging topic. He's a great talent, everyone knows that. But you are about the only guy who would trust him to lead the team on the first line when he only shows up when he feels like it.

Koivu is struggling, and it sucks to see. He's got more heart then all of his team combined. Ryder is struggling, but I dont think the right thing to do is stick a guy who cant play D on a checking line. He'll never break that slump.

I mean with what Montreal's got, I guess he's about your only choice. Sure others may say he can lead a team, and give it his all 100% every night. But there will be a lot more who will say he cant. But why not try right, how much worse can it get?

Exactly what I mean, that can't be worst. Why not give it a try?

I mean with what Montreal's got, I guess he's about your only choice. Sure others may say he can lead a team, and give it his all 100% every night. But there will be a lot more who will say he cant. But why not try right, how much worse can it get?

I have nothing to say about Kovalev but i hope the rumors are true and that Koivu goes away. How many more years before Bob realises he's not the captain who can bring the habs to the next level. Koivu is a good player, he plays with determination but common, he's doesn't belong in the league's cream players. Our GM sucks, how can you give Koivu so much money. He's makes more than Alfredson for christ's sake! Koivu, Alfredson, anybody have a preference?

Oh and the difficult pass weeks are also a consequence of another of our key player: Andrei Markov. He hasn't been playing like he should these days. Don't forget we give him 5.75M$ a year, he's one of the leagues best defenseman IMO.

I like the way Kostopulous has played so far this year. Scrappy, energy guy...he's in as long as Begin is hurt.

I agree with a lot of your assessment of Koivu. He almost redeemed himself in the SO the other night...great concentration by Denis to keep his toe on the post. I can't believe people were booing him and some on the Habs Bboard have said he should go...he's still the heart and soul of the team....but yes...maybe a second line role is a better use of him.

Andrei Kostitsyn has been playing a decent physical game and definitely looks like an NHLer most nights, but I worry about how his brother will do in the NHL...especially with the New Broadstreet Bullies as his first game. Taking Kostitsyn off of the Kovalev line may feel like a demotion to him, and cause him to sulk (which he has been known to do)...and Higgins/Koivu have chemistry...they just aren't finishing right now.

I'd go:

A. Kostitsyn/Plekanec/Kovalev

Higgins/Koivu/S. Kostitsyn

Markov's current struggles aren't helping the cause either. Thank God Hamrlik has been strong. Maybe Streit back on D to help plays develop from the back end is a good idea. Ryder/Kostopulous/Smolinski/Begin/Lapierre/Chipchura/Dandenault. Any combination of those 7 make 2 solid 2-way lines that can score a little & defend well.

On D:

Markov/Hamrlik

Komisarek with Streit or Brisbois (although currently injured)

O'Byrne/Gorges/Boullion (depending on the night)

On the PP, I think Kovalev NEEDS to stay on the side boards were he has been setting up. I'd move A. Kostitsyn to the point with either Markov or Streit on the other side. He's a cannon...and played the point with decent success in Hamilton. Mind you, PP has not really been a problem for Montreal yet.

Price has been good...but I think the load of being #1 in the NHL is wearing on him slightly. When Huet is back...he should get 2/3's of the remaining games.

Good points bud.

And yes Kovalev is good on the side boards on the powerplay. I correct myself, play him forward with his line and on the point with Koivu's line so he can be on the ice for every seconds of each powerplay. Kovalev is one of the best powerplay's player in the NHL so why not benefit of it by puttin him on 2 line sfor the powerplays.

I like the way Kostopulous has played so far this year. Scrappy, energy guy...he's in as long as Begin is hurt.

I agree with a lot of your assessment of Koivu. He almost redeemed himself in the SO the other night...great concentration by Denis to keep his toe on the post. I can't believe people were booing him and some on the Habs Bboard have said he should go...he's still the heart and soul of the team....but yes...maybe a second line role is a better use of him.

Andrei Kostitsyn has been playing a decent physical game and definitely looks like an NHLer most nights, but I worry about how his brother will do in the NHL...especially with the New Broadstreet Bullies as his first game. Taking Kostitsyn off of the Kovalev line may feel like a demotion to him, and cause him to sulk (which he has been known to do)...and Higgins/Koivu have chemistry...they just aren't finishing right now.

I'd go:

A. Kostitsyn/Plekanec/Kovalev

Higgins/Koivu/S. Kostitsyn

Markov's current struggles aren't helping the cause either. Thank God Hamrlik has been strong. Maybe Streit back on D to help plays develop from the back end is a good idea. Ryder/Kostopulous/Smolinski/Begin/Lapierre/Chipchura/Dandenault. Any combination of those 7 make 2 solid 2-way lines that can score a little & defend well.

On D:

Markov/Hamrlik

Komisarek with Streit or Brisbois (although currently injured)

O'Byrne/Gorges/Boullion (depending on the night)

On the PP, I think Kovalev NEEDS to stay on the side boards were he has been setting up. I'd move A. Kostitsyn to the point with either Markov or Streit on the other side. He's a cannon...and played the point with decent success in Hamilton. Mind you, PP has not really been a problem for Montreal yet.

Price has been good...but I think the load of being #1 in the NHL is wearing on him slightly. When Huet is back...he should get 2/3's of the remaining games.

I wonder if Guy will make Sergei paint his White 9k's black when he gets to Philly tomorrow?

I've heard that happens to rookies sometimes (j/k)

Kovalev needs to play 2mins of every PP! and Kost + Pleks should start everyone with him. If J-Shera watched a Habs game this season he would know that Kovalev is the best Hab probably 4/6 games and if he isn't he is usually right behind Plekanec

Koviu is still ok as a #2 centre. but 1G in 17games?? He has gotten a free pass for so long.. but the crowd is finally seeing it know. He can't carry a #1 line.

Smolinski - was a TERRIBLE signing.. he was invisible in playoffs last year for Vancouver and then Gainey signs him for 2M.

Our bottom 6 is good for engery but on a good team you need 12-15G from each guy on your 3rd line... we have know one in our bottom 6 who can score.

and lastly..

I know both me and Kovy_ribs strong agree on this: Latendresse has no place in the NHL right now. He is a worse skater then Geogre Laroque, probably the worst in the NHL at the momment and needs to go to the AHL asap. The Habs are an organization who never rewards hard work in the minors - it is time to see what S.Kost, Locke etc can do.

( I will get to Carboneau another time)

Haha, lol.

Does he really have white skates?

And Matt, have you seen Sergei live a couple of time this year? If so, how was he?

I wonder if Guy will make Sergei paint his White 9k's black when he gets to Philly tomorrow?

I've heard that happens to rookies sometimes (j/k)

and lastly..

I know both me and Kovy_ribs strong agree on this: Latendresse has no place in the NHL right now. He is a worse skater then Geogre Laroque, probably the worst in the NHL at the momment and needs to go to the AHL asap. The Habs are an organization who never rewards hard work in the minors - it is time to see what S.Kost, Locke etc can do.

I don't think Corey will ever be an NHLer...at least not in Montreal. Wow, I forgot all about Lats in my assessment...I guess he falls to the bottom and makes 8 from which to choose the 3&4 lines from.

I wouldn't go so far as to call him the "worst skater in the NHL"...but with Ryder & Lats...I'd like to see another team that has 2 skaters that are that bad.

On Sergei...Yeah he switched to white 9k's (from Bauer) about a week ago. Him and D'Agostini wear them down here...so if he talks Andrei into them as well, we'd have 4 guys in them in Montreal (Kovy/Hammer and the Kosti's)...hell if it works...but them for everyone *L*

He's been good most of the year. Leading the team in scoring and 3rd among rooks in the League. Right now...the entire team is struggling...so with him up as well, and Grabovski hurt...I don't like Hamilton's chances in the next little while.

He looks just like Andrei on the ice...the way he skates,the way he shoots...he's even wearing Andrei's number in Hamilton (23). He gets big minutes and plays the point on the PP. Having played in the OHL, he gets the North American game, and probably has less to learn in that area than Andrei did when he came over. He's definitely a talent, but I'm wondering if he is ready for the Show just yet.

Well Ryder is not a great skater but he is usually effective.. before this year he kinda reminded me of a poor mans Brett Hull.. he was very good at finding weak spots in coverage and quick releases.

To me his stick this year is waaaay too long.. the lie looks so off to me and he stopped using Easton which he had always used.. Im sure its not the only reason or even a reason for his problems this year but it really bothers me lol..

As for Latendresse I would go as far to call him the worst skater in the NHL

He used the Dolmite for a while but I think when he was hot he was using Stealths and SE's but most Stealths.. but they definitly were so long.. I know he skates pretty straight up but the sticks are like to his eyebrows.

Also Radio: for Koviu last night.. he probably didnt score because he does the same move EVERY single time.. but seriously so many guys in the NHL have 1-2 moves... if I was a goalie I would make sure I was watching shootout game tape from previous games..

Look at Hemsky and Datsyuk - probably the two best shootout shooters in the game - they actually have 5-6 moves in their back pocket.

I'd like to hear some thoughts on Carbonneau... I try to convince myself he's the guy for the job but little things sometimes makes me go; Did he really do that?

Dandenault on the first line?

He used the Dolmite for a while but I think when he was hot he was using Stealths and SE's but most Stealths.. but they definitly were so long.. I know he skates pretty straight up but the sticks are like to his eyebrows.

Also Radio: for Koviu last night.. he probably didnt score because he does the same move EVERY single time.. but seriously so many guys in the NHL have 1-2 moves... if I was a goalie I would make sure I was watching shootout game tape from previous games..

Look at Hemsky and Datsyuk - probably the two best shootout shooters in the game - they actually have 5-6 moves in their back pocket.

He's also 7 of 14 in SO's...so the move is effective. Listen, I'll admit he's not a #1 guy on most teams...and probably should go to the second line in Montreal...but I don't buy that he should be traded...and I will be hard to convince otherwise.

I don't think Koviu should be traded either.. just saying he isn't a #1 centre and even in his prime (after his big injury in his 2nd year??) he was probably a #1a centre

I'd like to hear some thoughts on Carbonneau... I try to convince myself he's the guy for the job but little things sometimes makes me go; Did he really do that?

Dandenault on the first line?

Dandenault has performed well all year. He's done everything that has been asked of him. He works hard every shift...Now, maybe not the prototypical first liner, but he can create some space for Higgins/Koivu to work. I like the 2 skill/1 grit guy combinations. That isn't the worst coaching decision that Carbo has made.

I think Guy leans on his 3rd/4th lines WAY too much...when down 1 with less than 5 minutes left, I'd think the bench needs to get shorter...

Now, I LOVE how he has used 2 centers late in games they are leading. If Saku gets tossed from a FO...Pleky is there. Smolinski has played well in that 2nd center role as well...won some big FO's.

I think Carbo still has it in him to be a really good coach...hopefully it happens SOON.

I agree with Kovy_ribs, Kovalev has been playing inspired hockey this year. He's competing, skating, and looks great with Plekanec's. The main problem with the team in my opinion is Carbonneau. He switches the lines every single game, and also during the game aswell. There is no consistency on his part whatsoever, and the frustration trickles down into the players and that is shown with their lack of consistent play.

As for the line choices, Ryder has no business playing on the third/fourth line. That's not his role, he's not a grinder and he's questionable defensively. I actually don't think he's played that bad, he's skating well but he just needs to find his finish which everyone knows he has. Streit should go back on D to give some stability and can move the puck well. Latendresse has no business being in the NHL, everyone I know who watches Habs games say the same thing. Sure he's a big body, but he is one of the worst skaters I've ever seen. Brisebois and Smolinski are past their prime and are useless. Dandenault on the first line...why? What could that possibly bring you. I think the lines should be:

Kovalev-Plekanec-Higgins = their three best forwards, all great skill

Ryder-Koivu-A.Kostitsyn = Ryder needs a scoring role

Dandenault-Chipchura-Some good minor leaguer = forget Smolinski/Latendresse

Kostopoulos-Lapierre-Begin = great energy fourth line

for D:

Markov-Komisarek = Great D pairing, Komisarek needs to get better controlling the play.

Hamrlik-O'Byrne = Two huge D men who are strong and smart players

Streit-Bouillon = rotate Markov and Hamrlik in once in while for Bouillon

The Habs have a good competitive team, and they proved it in the beginning of the season, now they need some consistency from their Coach, and to play the best players they can, some of which are playing for the Hamilton Bulldogs right now.

...and to play the best players they can, some of which are playing for the Hamilton Bulldogs right now.

...?

who are you referring too?

Habookus, that's a great post. exactly what i "wanted to hear". Lines are changing way too much. Every game it's "who's going to win lotto carbo tonight and play on the first line?"

I love the idea: Some good minor leaguer = forget Smolinski/Latendresse. It's unfortunatly never going to happen i guess.

...and to play the best players they can, some of which are playing for the Hamilton Bulldogs right now.

...?

who are you referring too?

What I meant to say is that if Latendresse or Smolinski went down to the Bulldogs they wouldn't be the best players. Someone like S.Kostitsyn, Corey Locke or even Matt D'Agostini should get a shot on the third line.