Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

i hate guys who come in to play shinny thinking they are nhl vetrans when they cant skate for shiit they have no knowledge for the game and they never pass the puck. when you are on the bench trying to communicate with them to understand eachother better they just ignore lol. everytime u get the puck they try to offside you. guys trying to hip check you in a non contact game and when you nail them they start running their mouths. guys acting like tough guys on the ice yet just wont drop the gloves.

everyone pays to play. i go to get a nice work out im focused on my conditioning and everyone else is focused on trying to get me off my game. everytime i get the puck id have 3 or 4 guys on me. why cant some people just relax and rememberi ts just shinny?

it gets fukin annoying but i know how to turn negetives into positives. and the best part is when you score such a goregous goal they have this priceless look on their faces.

Exactly. I'm all for getting into the game, but when your getting hacked behind the play and getting sticks under the arms and between the legs when your on a breakaway...when guys are acting like it's Game 7, it's just not as fun.

wow your shinny sessions sound pretty serious haha!

I hate it when guys stay on wayyyy tooo long and there just out there barely skating hoping one of the defensemen gets the puck and gives him a stretch pass to send him on a breakaway. In the meantime hes pitching a tent and starting a fire at the other teams blue line. Another thing is these guys who cherry pick are always the guys complaining that your not doing your job and that you should be working harder, I wouldn't mind accidentally shooting one of these guys in the face with a puck but hey I just brush it off and try and have some fun. Seems like no matter where I play shinny there will always be some jack ass thinking he knows it all.

Guys who take neck-high slapshots consistently, from everywhere on the ice. Yes, it's nice that you can shoot better than my 5-year old brother, but it's shinny and you're going to kill someone.

Oh, and goalies who whine because there's no "defense".

I hate the pick-ups that are played like pro roller hockey league all star games. Guys camping out on the opposing blue line not playing any D whatsoever just so they have a shot at a breakaway so they can do some move that involves stick to skate.

I also hate pickups that don't run a timer for lines, which is all but 1 that I know of.

When shinny gets that serious, it's not fun. I really hate it when guys completely abandon team play (by not passing, dangling, bitching at everyone else, taking 5-10 minute shifts) in favor of trying to relive their glory days from PeeWees or something. These people have no respect for others and no respect for the game. If you wanna play, then come to play. Don't waste everyone else's time just because you want to try and recreate your ONE SHIFT in a playoff game in high school 20 years ago.

I also can't stand it when they treat a newcomer like dirt, just because he's new. It's like these guys wanted to start their own little club where no one plays defense, and everyone waits for a stretch pass. Its just not fun. I think being competitive as a team and working hard towards a common goal is WAY more fun. I quit playing in weekly pick-up games because I got so sick of people pissing me off.

I also hate guys that never pass or guys that take super long shifts. At my drop-in sessions, there is this guy that stays on for so long that he might shift once or twice during the whole session. When he gets the puck, he skates into the offensive zone and shoots it over the net. Wow...

it's like preaching to the choir. my solution: i'll play defense and avoid making any stretch passes. sure, i won't be much of an offensive threat and i'll take the heat for trying to bring the puck up but at least i'm willing to commit defensively.

there's one guy i play shinny with that does all of the pet peeves in this topic and whenever i play against him, i make it my duty to make his every shift a miserable one (the guy loses it when he can't score, which is only when he's got a breakaway or is collecting the garbage).

A few:

1. Guys who call EVERY offside...Okay...If I'm 3 feet ahead of the play...I get it, but let 2-3 inches go...it's damn pickup

2. The guy who calls for every pass...regardless of where he is on the ice, and then bitches about how open he was when you didn't pass (probably because he was no where near a good place to pass to)....But, HE'S got the puck and you're actually in a great position to shoot...that pass ain't coming.

3. Long warm ups...I get that you want to warm up...I get that as you get older you can't just jump on the ice and go full speed for an hour....but when you only get 55 minutes of ice, and guys are still skating in circles at :13-:15 it's a little annoying.

4. No one is on before us, and we have all the time we want to warm up...but guys still get there at :5 to...leads to #3.

5. I'm the only guy who brings a water bottle...and by the end of my second shift the damn thing is empty.

6. 15 guys...2 pucks.

7. Posts & Jerseys. You think I can hit a post when I want to? And, I'm trying really hard NOT to shoot right into the goalies chest most nights, so yeah...hit the jersey SUCKS!

I'm going to preemptively sum up this thread: Puck hogs, long shifters, beer league heroes and assholes.

You just described me, I can't deny it, at shinny, I love do have the puck, stay on the ice(everyone else seems to), try to do sick goals & passes, as for the asshole part, only if someone trys to be the coach. I would hate to play with me.

The three things that bother me: the shinny coach, guys who take the shit to seriously and guys who think the rink is there turf and locals rule.

guys who dont pass, dribble thru everyone while the rest of us can be open in front of the net.

same guy would also want to keep playing on every shift. he'll call 'dibs' on being on the court when the other shifts dont have enough for a full line.

He's a good player, would be fantastic if he would pass more.

Assholes who show up with a full suit of gear and then proceed to slash your shins and arms, shoot the puck 5 feet in the air, and swing their sticks around like they are swatting flies...typically these are 40 year old + guys at my rink - I sat one a few weeks ago that slashed me across the bicep - me with no gear, him dressed up like robocop, and I dumped him at center ice...priceless.

I also hate the marathon shifters - you're not the only guy there, and even if you are better than me, yor time is not worth more than mine, so share the godamned ice.

I've started to play more D as well, as thats the only way to really get the puck...am practicing to give a good outlet pass, rather than skate all the way up for the damn puck carrier to lose it to the other team with a new move he was tryig to do.

I absolutly hate the person who thinks they're the best thing there is. There's this one guy at the rink that I play at, and I swear it seems like his sole purpose in life is to remind me that I am nowhere near the level i was at 3 months ago. It's always a quick remark like " If you keep playing like that, you will never make varsity" After all the stuff i went through with my high school team, I have to be reminded every week that I didnt make it(even though players on the team said I deserved the spot more than they did). Just pisses me off.

It's great to have super long shifters on the other team though. Just keep an eye on it before you jump into the game and try to isolate against that person, enough said...

Anyway, the non-stop carrying coast to coast with taters and toast so they can recreate some imaginary sportscenter highlight is really annoying too. Hey, schmuck, pass the bleeping puck!!

Assholes who show up with a full suit of gear and then proceed to slash your shins and arms, shoot the puck 5 feet in the air, and swing their sticks around like they are swatting flies...typically these are 40 year old + guys at my rink - I sat one a few weeks ago that slashed me across the bicep - me with no gear, him dressed up like robocop, and I dumped him at center ice...priceless.

The drop-in hockey at my local rink is pretty good, but there are a few guys that treats things too seriously. This one guy in particular is an asshole, (coincidently we call him RoboCop) he wears a yellow visor and tries to do his Kyle McLaren impersonation. He cross-checks other guys that stand near the net, runs the new players into the boards, hooks and slash your gloves when you get the jump on him, the list goes on. He is also the first to bitch and complain when the table's turned. He's a below average skater and overall very mediocre. Me and my friends make it a point to dangle and make him look ridiculous every chance we get. :D

The drop-in hockey at my local rink is pretty good, but there are a few guys that treats things too seriously. This one guy in particular is an asshole, (coincidently we call him RoboCop) he wears a yellow visor and tries to do his Kyle McLaren impersonation. He cross-checks other guys that stand near the net, runs the new players into the boards, hooks and slash your gloves when you get the jump on him, the list goes on. He is also the first to bitch and complain when the table's turned. He's a below average skater and overall very mediocre. Me and my friends make it a point to dangle and make him look ridiculous every chance we get. :D

an open ice hit would slove that problem.

I actually was slashed on the arm skating by someone in open hockey a few weeks ago, and when I just kept going, he put the stick under my arm and tugged me so hard it spun me 180 and off balance. I'm not about to go after someone in pickup hockey but this was close.

People that don't pass piss me off though. And people that stick check like their lives depend on it. Easy off, who cares if the guy beats you and goes to score. No need to go balls to the wall, just have fun. Doesn't make you tough, especially when most people out there aren't going nearly as hard.

edit: oh, the other week I had a guy giving me crosschecks to the lower back for being in front of the net. And when that didn't bother me, he was doing the little can-opener. Every single time. So I just threw my elbow gently into his chin, hoping he would get the idea that next time it won't be so nice. Pickup around here is insane, people play harder in the pickup games I'm in than some league games.