Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

We had a celeb hockey tournament/brewfest in February.
Dangler dude on the other team celebrated a little too much after his 3rd goal.

Tiger Williams laid him out. :laugh:

We actually have a great turn out and good people at drop ins. I really don't have any complaints. They break up the drop ins by level (C-D, B, A, etc) and people stick to their level. If they don't they are just having a casual good time and pass around to people all the time.

The only thing I absolutely can't stand are the high school players. The rink I play at has tons of high school teams that regularly practice. Our adult drop-ins usually take place directly after their practice, so they will jump on the ice. I wouldn't have any problem with it, but all they do is go coast-to-coast and try and one up each other. They literally never change. I'm not talking 5 minute shifts. I mean they get on the ice and they stay there. I'm a fairly decent C level player so I can generally hang with them, and I try to give them as much shit as possible. On slow nights when they show up, other guys won't say anything because they just want the skaters, but taking shift after shift and not touching the puck has really gotten under some guys skin. When I see it happening now, I walk out to the front desk, say that I want a refund because of the high schoolers and leave the rink. I actually haven't been back to drop-in for around 6 weeks and stick to my league games.

First time playing in two weeks and I was flat-footed, slow, and made craptastic plays. The only positive was that I cleaned the puck out in a scrum on the boards and most of my passes went to their intended targets.

Not a peave but funny. The guy with 260 stick and 800 skates that cannot shoot or skate. I just smile but do not pick on anyone. Live and let live

Whats so wrong with that? Aside from the Makos (which didn't have a lower end model), I have no use for $800 skates or a $260 stick but that's what I use. Are bad players not allowed to wear nice gear?

Not a thing wrong with that. Just funny to me but that is due to my oddness. I am certain some folks think my torn sweats instead of hockey socks are funny. We all have our special habits with hockey. I will not play without 1 white and 1 black lace.

I am indeed a conservative and support spending all you want on your gear.

I am a bad shot yet use a highly expensive shotgun. I am sure some folks laugh inside at that.

Played last night pickup with ref. new peave guys ripping the ref the whole session.

Okay, I will call this a pet peeve.

Lower skilled players always apologizing when they screw up. Those guys are way too hard on themselves. I promise, I'm not really mad at you if you miss a pass or whiff on a shot. I'm there for the same reason you are: to skate and have a good time. Lighten up :)

Kovalchuk71 - Yeah, it is a real bummer watching someone get so bent out of shape they missed a meaningless pass that they slam their stick against the boards and break it.

Okay, I will call this a pet peeve.

Lower skilled players always apologizing when they screw up. Those guys are way too hard on themselves. I promise, I'm not really mad at you if you miss a pass or whiff on a shot. I'm there for the same reason you are: to skate and have a good time. Lighten up :)

Might just be humility, not low self-esteem. (the apologizing part--hotheads who break their sticks are a valid peeve)

Might just be humility, not low self-esteem. (the apologizing part--hotheads who break their sticks are a valid peeve)

Very true. I didn't mean to toot my own horn here either. I just wish they would not worry about screwing up so much. It's okay. We all make mistakes on the rink. I think they are just worried about pissing off the better players on the rink, which, they shouldn't be. It's pickup. Let's pass the puck around, get some exercise, and have some laughs.

The beginners that beat themselves up do so because some of the better players won't even look at them the rest of the skate after they mess up. I have a vent in this thread from a couple years back on that topic. In some pickup skates, the good players only pass to the other good players and ignore the beginners completely.

Whats so wrong with that? Aside from the Makos (which didn't have a lower end model), I have no use for $800 skates or a $260 stick but that's what I use. Are bad players not allowed to wear nice gear?

Thanks for sticking up for me Optimus.

The beginners that beat themselves up do so because some of the better players won't even look at them the rest of the skate after they mess up. I have a vent in this thread from a couple years back on that topic. In some pickup skates, the good players only pass to the other good players and ignore the beginners completely.

This is exactly right. It's always nice when somebody will pass to you again and again no matter how many times you may mess it up. You're never going to get it right if they don't give you that chance.

I was on one team a few years ago that just decided passing it to me would be a waste, and never ever did. I could be wide open and they'd still send it through traffic to somebody else.

That's the main reason we get so upset when we screw up - it could cost us hugely in puck time and we may never be given another chance.

That is the case with my local pick ups. Because I get the puck so few times, I give it away like a hot potato because I am simply not used to carrying the puck lol

I do tend to pass the puck a lot because I simply don't have great skating skills and my shot is a bit crap. I am working on the skating and my shot is getting better as I shoot pucks in the back garden.

This is exactly right. It's always nice when somebody will pass to you again and again no matter how many times you may mess it up. You're never going to get it right if they don't give you that chance.

I was on one team a few years ago that just decided passing it to me would be a waste, and never ever did. I could be wide open and they'd still send it through traffic to somebody else.

That's the main reason we get so upset when we screw up - it could cost us hugely in puck time and we may never be given another chance.

I don't get too upset if I whiff a shot or give away the puck, though I do apologise sometimes for screwing up. I am somewhat intentional comic relief. I chalk up people not passing as poor sportsmanship and wankerdom, plain and simple. People take pick up sooooooooooo seriously; the last time I checked, ZERO scouts go to pick up in po dunk, and there aren't any triple bagger (let alone bonafide hot) puck bunnies in the stands, either. The rats, cock roaches and mice milling about in the rink don't care that you can dangle a newbie. Most of these guys chance for the NHL has long passed (as if they had a chance, anyway), but in their delusional minds, they were wrongly passed over. Yeah, right...

I don't fault people for putting out a great effort, but c'mon!!! Keep treating the newbies this way and the attendance goes down, which, in turn could end the pick up sessions.

For me its more during games than pick-up (despite this thread being for pick-up, TeamHonda's peeve was a familiar one to me so worth commenting on). Usually the longer passes from the D-men. If they don't send it to my right side (when facing them with my stick down, right-handed), it will for sure be missed. And if it angles off the boards for some reason I have a hard time reading that angle, and I'm sure to miss it as well.

This all results in them no longer passing it to me.

How about going up to someone on the bench or after the session and telling them they did a decent job (When they did)? Especially if you know they are new at it. This is more about practice and having fun.

Not a NHL game or tryout for a draft. Enjoy it, be passionate, remember its fun for all, regardless of the level. Even the worst player wants to be the best player. And without pickup, where are they going to get ice time?

My $.05 worth.

How about going up to someone on the bench or after the session and telling them did a decent job (When they did)? Especially if you know they are new at it. This is more about practice and having fun.

Not a NHL game or tryout for a draft. Enjoy it, be passionate, remember its fun for all, regardless of the level. Even the worst player wants to be the best player. And without pickup, where are they going to get ice time?

My $.05 worth.

^this.

This is actually the opposite of a pet peeve but I wanted to share it:

Every Friday at noon, we have generally the same group of guys that show up for pickup. Only one or two of the guys are beginners, but it's not the highest level skate around. Anyway, we're all in the locker room getting ready and two current UNH players walk in. (I won't namedrop)

They were the nicest guys any of us have ever had the pleasure of playing with. I don't think they even scored a goal the entire time. All they did was make brilliant passes to the rest of us. Such a fun time. What got me thinking about this was reading the comments about not getting passed to after missing one. I saw someone miss one of their passes and apologize. Instead of not passing to him again, they looked out for him until he got one. Awesome stuff

Most guys have class. That is the best thing about hockey. Last night just 3 d on bench 90 minute not stop game. In my 50s. Still a bit sore. Hockey last night heading out to fish today. Life is good.

Love the guy with the key to the sweeper shed.

Hate guys that will not help shovel prior to pick up.

Best rinks for pick up. Groveland St. Paul , sky hill eagan, heights duluth

Outdoor ice in 4 months, gotta get in a shape other than round.

Love the guy with the key to the sweeper shed.

Hate guys that will not help shovel prior to pick up.

Sweeper shed?

What do you mean by people not shoveling? Do you mean when you play outdoors?

Yes, Park rinks outdoor. Sweeper clears rink in 15m. Sweeper in shed next to the rink at many places. Yes shoveling on a break or at start. All da guys need to take a few runs with the shovel.