Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

getting crap from vets because im a newb.

Be a team player, don't hot-dog or showboat, and be respectful. The crap should stop pretty soon after.

... and if it doesn't, well then you might be playing with some jerks. Every rink has at least one of "those guys".

Since people always wear random jerseys, we have some problems with team making. Usually we have it worked out, but there's one guy who won't play against the guys who are better than him, who always switches colors on the rink, so then we have to switch everything up. I usually switch to the other team because of him, which sucks because then I don't get to play with my friends. Then again, he is the same guy that takes the 10 minute shift, so I guess it evens out.

getting crap from vets because im a newb.

Be a team player, don't hot-dog or showboat, and be respectful. The crap should stop pretty soon after.

... and if it doesn't, well then you might be playing with some jerks. Every rink has at least one of "those guys".

I mean because i'm new to hockey.

i stopped going to one place here because the racist bullshit in the locker room was too much for me. It was like a f-ing klan meeting in there! I am just fine with guys poking fun at each others religions/backgrounds whatever all in good fun. This was just straight up hateful stuff, after 4 consecutive times of it i stopped going.

I was at pickup at a shitty rink and some guy actually took a leak in the corner of the penelty box. pretty gross if you ask me

that's fucked up. The worst I've seen was that the bathrooms are locked, so a guy on my team said to the rink managers open them or I'm going to piss in the trash in the locker room.

They didn't open them. And right there, in front of everyone (how the fuck can anyone do that?) he let it go.

Talk about reason not to get a penalty, who the hell wants to sit there o.O

I was at pickup at a shitty rink and some guy actually took a leak in the corner of the penelty box. pretty gross if you ask me

Sadly, I have that beat. During a beer league game I notice the guy sitting next to me on the bench is squirting water from the water bottle on his crotch. I asked him what he was doing and he says, I had to take a leak and didn't feel like walking all the way back to the locker room. :blink:

This rink I played at as a kid, was an ice factory before it was a rink, was a real shithole. It was generally known to everyone there the bathrooms in the locker rooms didn't work, you had to go upstairs and use the one in the pro shop. Without fail almost every time you'd go into the visiting team's locker room before a practice the Monday after the weekend games someone's dump would still be sitting in the toliet. Took them almost a year to come up with the grand idea of just bolting the doors.

Do you guys get angry if the opposing goalie is terrible?

Anyways, there is this one guy at shinny who talks too much. waaaay too much. He speaks for everyone and acts as the ref for everyone. extremely annoying and ruins the fun.

Gettin out of my gear post game with another brother some guy walks in and announces to everyone "It smells like black people in here"---yep love hockey some times

or the kid giving me my pass says to me "you have skates right? How about a helmet?" Nah I assumed these Converse and my big fro would cover all that

Oh by the way telling me you look like Donald Brashear...not a compliment

Gettin out of my gear post game with another brother some guy walks in and announces to everyone "It smells like black people in here"---yep love hockey some times

or the kid giving me my pass says to me "you have skates right? How about a helmet?" Nah I assumed these Converse and my big fro would cover all that

Oh by the way telling me you look like Donald Brashear...not a compliment

That's just mean.

...Oh by the way telling me you look like Donald Brashear...not a compliment

Just make sure you don't tell any white dudes they look like Marty McSorley.

ahah lol. I had to pee in the trashcan once wasn't to bad. I went and threw the bag out and got another one and replaced it. I hate it when adults try and throw the 15 14 and 13 year old kids in the glass as hard as they can. I usually just deke em out and they go head first into the boards :P

Do you guys get angry if the opposing goalie is terrible?

Anyways, there is this one guy at shinny who talks too much. waaaay too much. He speaks for everyone and acts as the ref for everyone. extremely annoying and ruins the fun.

I'd rather have a sub-par goalie than shoot posts, put out the shooting board, shoot at a jersey, or put the net down on the ice.

I hate it when people take chest+ high slap shots, thats why I wear shoulder pads.

I hear you. The whole showing off in pick-up thing is tiring after a while. However, I'm finally learning how to stickhandle above beginner/blind person level and am going to try out some moves in shinny. I hope it's not considered rude b/c it won't be done with intent to showboat...

My vote goes for the guy who works his ass off for no reason when everyone else if having a good time, and just trying to have some fun. This guy is slashing, hooking, you name, just overboard on everything you can think of. But then again he does it to the wrong guy and well the case is closed after that haha.

I hate when you go to a non-checking shinny game, and the puck goes into the corner and you get railed, not expecting a hit.

On the Positive Side, I am a big fan of when really good players try to get the bad players more involved.

I like when people step up and get everything organized quickly.

I like when people show appreciation to the goalies and don't give them attitude after every goal.

I like when people don't take long shifts.

I like when people make sure the teams are balanced.

I hate when you go to a non-checking shinny game, and the puck goes into the corner and you get railed, not expecting a hit.

Always expect to get hit, even if it's a public skate. Can never be too wary on the ice. Even if you go into a corner and a dude is not going to cheap you, who knows, he may lose an edge and fly into you, but if you're expecting it and playing heads up, you'll protect yourself.

This guy came out where I play, he hit people (one guy from behind), and slashed. Let's just say we didn't see him next skate!

This guy came out where I play, he hit people (one guy from behind), and slashed. Let's just say we didn't see him next skate!

That guy shouldn't have been able to walk off the ice at the end of the night.

3 weeks ago I went to a pick up and it had about 40 people, I go to a pick up this week and nothing changed. The 2 worst hockey experiences i've ever had. Im never coming back for a pick up again.

Do some rinks actually have a limit to how money can play at pick up? Of course my rink is way to cheap to do anything like that.

3 weeks ago I went to a pick up and it had about 40 people, I go to a pick up this week and nothing changed. The 2 worst hockey experiences i've ever had. Im never coming back for a pick up again.

Do some rinks actually have a limit to how money can play at pick up? Of course my rink is way to cheap to do anything like that.

Sure they do! I've seen plenty of rinks where they limit registration to the first 20 skaters and 2 goalies. Any more and you go on a waiting list.