Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

I don't get the guys that are new or just suck, and complain that they aren't getting the puck(just so they can turn it over).

These guys may be competent with a puck during trainings/clinics/stick n puck/etc, but choke with the pressure is on during a game... the only way to improve is for them to have the puck and be allowed to turn it over.

I am one of "those" people who suck at hockey (however, I never complain about not getting the puck and do everything I can to make up for the inevedible turn over). I play defence because I have limited puck skills. After a season of hanging back in D and rarely recieving a pass, Ive realised hanging back in D is not a good move for a new player looking to form a well rounded set of basic skills. I have less puck skills and a lot less confidence with the puck than when I started.

When you are wide open and the sensible choice for a pass, your confidence does take a battering when the player with the puck would rather do something risky through traffic than give you the puck.

There are a few guys who actively encorage me to travel further up the ice and look to pass me the puck if its a viable option. They not only pass me the puck, but they also support me, they are there for me to pass back to if I get in trouble, they are in position so that they can intercept the player who takes the puck off my stick, they are even there to pick up the puck if I drop it as I try to skate it up the floor.

One day I want to be one of these guys, taking care of noobs like me.

edit: Better add a pet peeve. People who would rather say "you suck" than "sorry for the bad pass"

I don't get the guys that are new or just suck, and complain that they aren't getting the puck(just so they can turn it over).

Then how are the guys that are, "new or just suck," supposed to get better? Honestly, people having this attitude is what drives people away from not just hockey, but trying anything new. People with elitist attitudes that decide others don't deserve to be in their little clubs because they're not amazing at something right out of the gate. Public pick-up sessions are there for people to come work on their skills and learn more about the game no matter their skill level. Truth is, they need touches on the puck to learn how to handle the pressure of having it on their stick. It is not your own personal skills competition at these sessions. More than likely everyone there has paid the same amount to be out there, and while they may not get the same amount of time with the puck just because of their skill level, it is no reason to pass them up (when it is the correct play) just because they, "suck," and are, "going to turn it over," anyway. It's pick-up, there isn't really any consequence to them turning the puck over and having it go the other way for a goal. The majority of the people on this board will tell you that you should be helping these people to grow their game, not exiling them because they are new and not on the same skill level with you.

I understand what you guys are saying. I think it is just that often times around here the pickups seem to be of different levels. For instance, I know that there is a particular pickup that plays once a week that is much higher level than a lot of others. So basically it is a lot of good players, and the game runs at a pretty high pace. I just feel like the guys who aren't very good (myself included) should not go out there and try to be a puck hog, dangle, be a superstar. So while at a pickup that has similar skill level or lower players than myself, I might tend to carry the puck more and try and get lesser skilled players involved, at the same time, at a pickup that has a lot of higher level players than me, I am going to just try and make some solid plays and be complimentary. I just see it all the time, guys that aren't very good trying to go coast to coast like a superstar, and losing the puck every time, and therefore never getting other people involved, and making for a crappy game. I am in no way trying to be "elitist", I am far from it. I am just saying assess your level compared to others, and play appropriately.

The fact of the matter is if you're playing a game, play the game. If a guy on your team is open and in a better position than you, pass the puck, end of story - its pickup, not game 7 of the finals. That being said, while I'm not the type to refuse to pass to someone just because of their skill level, I don't think that higher level players have any type of responsibility to help lower level players improve, as some here have suggested. Just play the game like you normally would and let them do the same, everyone needs to be responsible for their own play and not worry about what other people are doing.

Is it a jerk move to do a move like Forsberg does at 1:45 in

video? Or to deke wide on a goalie and hold the puck until the goalie is on the ground?

I've been called out on it and I didn't think there was anything wrong with them.

how is using skill a jerk move? if people are calling you out, you need to play with dudes who aren't jealous.

One of the more frustrating aspects of pickup hockey that I've been dealing with lately is when you don't get a chance to challenge yourself because of the way others over or under adjust to your play. For example, when you're playing with a group of people with a wide variety of skill levels, and say a slower or less experienced person has the puck, maybe people back off a little and give that person an extra 2 seconds before swooping in and challenging them or etc.. vs. identifying the stronger skaters and not giving them any extra room because they can handle the challenge and probably want a faster game anyway.. In my case, I generally like to play D but for a lot of the same reasons DarkByte mentions above, I've been trying to work on my offensive skills. I'm pretty confident on D and I get plenty of touches back there, so people seem to figure that out and cut me no slack.. but then when I get a rush into the offensive zone or am playing forward in the same pickup session, I could definitely use a little leeway because I'm just not as good stickhandling as a forward, taking shots, etc. I'm happy people identify me as skilled enough to step up and challenge me, but I like pickup hockey because it's an opportunity to take chances and get more touches than I ever would in a game and lately it seems I have a target on my back (that I definitely did not earn through demonstrated talent, ha!) and it's making it harder to get those game-like moments in which to practice offensive puck skills.

Another pet peeve.. girls who giggle and fuck around the whole time. Sorry ladies, I try to avoid the girl-on-girl negativity but please.. we're here to play hockey, not get a date.

I went to pick up a few weeks ago, it was an hour and a half

All the guys were pretty cool and changed up pretty quick. There were 5 subs so I was getting a shift after about 2-3 minutes of rest.

Until the LAST 15 minutes...the 5 on with 15 minutes left refused to come off. I literally sat there in disbelief watching these absolutely gassed guys stand around on the ice, refusing to come off.

With about 2-3 minutes left one guy skates off the ice so one guy on the bench got to skate the last few minutes.

We all paid our $. Don't be a douche like that.

I hate when the usually mixed skill pickup is suddenly overrun by talent when a bunch of really good players all happen to show up at the same time by sheer coincidence. I don't mind playing up a few levels - I like the challenge in fact. But I have to know my limits... when there are more than two Olympians on the ice, the game is just out of my reach. It was fun to watch and an unexpected surprise to see a good game. And in fairness to the good (great!) players, they would have welcomed us out there - they weren't being douchey about it. But the two people I came with would have been so overwhelmed it didn't seem like a good idea. Sucks getting all geared up and getting off the ice after the warmup :sad:

The local rink lets kids (bantams/midgets) skate for free during adult drop-in's. Naturally when you don't pay for something it means little to you, and it freaking drives me nuts when they come out and skate for 20 minutes only to hop off the ice. Sometimes they come back, sometimes they don't. A lot of the time they come back, and leave after another 15 or 20 minutes. Maybe making one final appearance. It's just annoying to constantly have to rebalance the teams so one side isn't completely dominating the other.

I don't get the guys that are new or just suck, and complain that they aren't getting the puck(just so they can turn it over). Also, if you are going to be a cone, at least do it in a defensive position. One night I ended up in a pickup game with a bunch of guys who were current or ex minors, some college players, etc, and needless to say, I felt like a total moron. So since I knew trying to play any kind of offense was going to be stupid, I just tried to play the point as best I could, and play the best defense I could, and in reality, I think I did a pretty good job. It was also a pretty full bench, so I made sure to take quick shifts and just watch and learn the rest of the time. I think the truth is, a lot of people simply have never looked in a mirror, or don't want to, and seemingly have no clue what their actual skill level is. Maybe it was too much"everything johnny does is great!" parenting.

The thing I don't get is why we act all surprised that hockey is basically a niche sport in the US when you've got attitudes like this. Maybe instead of deriding them you could help them out, give them a little credit for trying something new. Nobody, and that includes you and me, laced up the skates the first time and was an all-star their first go at the ice. I count myself fortunate that I got to start when I was young and play competitively. But not everyone gets that, and it's not exactly fair to expect someone to pony up the fee to skate and relegate themselves to playing defense least they inconvenience someone of greater skill.

I'm sure the newbies are quite aware of their lack of skill. It's probably hard not to notice when someone zips by you like you weren't even there. But they're also not going to get any better without practice, and that means touching the puck every now and again. Not saying the whole drop-in needs to be centered around teaching the new people, but there's nothing wrong with acknowledging their effort with a pass every now and again. If they screw up, so what?

An hour of icetime = 60 min

minus the flood = 52 min

minus the 10-12 minute warm up = 40 min of icetime.

Every now and then there was no one on before you...so you get the warm up out of the way...and get 55 minutes of actual hockey playing.

If I owned a facility...I'd book with 1/2 hour between rentals. And rentals would all know that, so they could go on at :15/:45 to warm up.

1. If i have you beat, I don't mind a little tug, but don't try and slash my ankles or wrists. We all have to go back to work. There are no scouts. You will not earn a contract.

2. Bring a white and dark jersey. Common sense.

3. Be considerate of the other people there and get off the ice if you're tired or have been on a while.

those are the ones that come to mind right now.

You guys are lucky you have so many guys at open hockey. We usually have like maybe 10 skaters max. It sucks. Then again you can just shoot the whole time, so its not that bad I guess

Not pick up but my friend and I went to two sessions of stick n puck today. I have played hockey on and off my whole life but never took it seriously and my skill level shows that and my friend just started playing and it was like 3rd or 4th time in gear.

First session:

Older guy who plays in B league at our rink, played 4 years at St. Cloud State worked with us on passing and other various things. Understood we were not at our level and gave advice and pointers..

Second session:

Hot shot AAA kid thinks he is the best player ever because he was invited to USHL camp..

HE:

Stole the puck from a 8 year old kid

Cut people off while shooting

Hogged pucks so he did not have to chase them after he shot

Never collected pucks from the net

Shot the puck whole people were collecting pucks(he hit me 3 times while I was getting pucks)

Never passed to anyone without a puck

what an awesome dude

An hour of icetime = 60 min

minus the flood = 52 min

minus the 10-12 minute warm up = 40 min of icetime.

Every now and then there was no one on before you...so you get the warm up out of the way...and get 55 minutes of actual hockey playing.

If I owned a facility...I'd book with 1/2 hour between rentals. And rentals would all know that, so they could go on at :15/:45 to warm up.

And you'd have to jack up the icetime rates since you're giving up a couple of hours of rented ice each night. Have fun running an empty rink.

I'm going to preemptively sum up this thread: Puck hogs, long shifters, beer league heroes and assholes.

I am surprised you didn't mention this, and no one else has either.

When people don't try! This is what gets me the most, if someone takes a long shift, but they are back checking, and hustling for the puck then that is not too bad, but if someone is moping around the ice, hanging at the red line and doesn't even chase the puck, that really bugs me.

Edit: Sorry...didn't realize this thread was 46 pages long!

People who do not know the word sorry. It seems that no one at pick up seems to know that word. When you have a bunch of people who don't know each other play a fast paced physical sport sorry should be in everyones vocabulary. I think I say it 10 to 20 times a game.

When you bump into someone just say sorry. That way they know you didn't mean it. If you trip or hook or slash someone, say sorry. Again, then they know that you didn't mean it. Or at least that you acknowledge that you did it and you realize in an actual game you would most likely be spending the next 2 minutes in the box. Stuff happens but you get the impression that a lot of guys like to take advanatge of the fact that there are no refs. If you at least say sorry than hopefully you wont be labeled as one of those guys. The cheap/dirty player.

People who do not know the word sorry. It seems that no one at pick up seems to know that word. When you have a bunch of people who don't know each other play a fast paced physical sport sorry should be in everyones vocabulary. I think I say it 10 to 20 times a game.

When you bump into someone just say sorry. That way they know you didn't mean it. If you trip or hook or slash someone, say sorry. Again, then they know that you didn't mean it. Or at least that you acknowledge that you did it and you realize in an actual game you would most likely be spending the next 2 minutes in the box. Stuff happens but you get the impression that a lot of guys like to take advanatge of the fact that there are no refs. If you at least say sorry than hopefully you wont be labeled as one of those guys. The cheap/dirty player.

I bet you think everyone deserves a trophy too. Seriously, I'm not going to apologize every time I bump someone. If I run a guy over or clip someone up high with my stick, then yes, I'll ask if they're okay and/or say sorry. But if you think you'd be getting an apology for knocking you over driving the net you're sadly mistaken. Last time I checked hockey was for men (and tough girls), not pussies afraid of hurtng someone's feelings or bruising an ego or two.

And the guy dumping people on top of goalies, blowing their knees out and taking them out of that skate forever - not to mention, you know, medical bills (in the US), enduring pain, and the risk of permanent disability.

If you're running over people driving the net then you're the guy everyone else is complaining about here.

So I'm not allowed to play hockey? I'm just supposed to turn into the corner and come up with a new plan of action if someone steps up to keep me from getting to the net? Give me a break.

Yea but remember its SHINNY PET PEEVES if its a league game go nuts but most people at pick up aren't there to get scouted for the NHL and will pass up overly aggressive plays because its the right thing to do.

Exactly. This is stick time not game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals. And I'm talking about bumps and things away from the puck. We all understand there is going to be contact but again it is usually the players who aren't very good that resort to that kind of overly aggressive game. I've play against some very good players and at stick time they don't seem to need to be hitting or even bumping people when they have the puck.

More to the point, even if YOU are capable of handling moderate physical contact, that doesn't mean the guy you're going through on the way to the net necessarily is - and since I'm the one who's going to be down in the butterfly and/or totally focussed on the puck and unable to brace myself when I get plowed, I've got something of a vested interest.

So I'm not allowed to play hockey? I'm just supposed to turn into the corner and come up with a new plan of action if someone steps up to keep me from getting to the net? Give me a break.

Yes, you are allowed to play hockey but folks are at pick up to get a skate and a sweat in and have fun. If a goal at pickup is that important to you then you're going in with the wrong attitude. At pickup, if someone steps up on you then you try to get around them, not through them.

And this is why I don't go to open sticks and pucks, just private ice rentals with guys I know for some informal fun. The better players know each other and play hard, but tone down their skills for the slower guys. Heck, they even let me play goalie are a first timer, but gave me lots of time and space to get to know my gear better. I'm sure that it's no big thrill for the ex NCAA D-1 players to put one between my pads.