Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

This morning we had three kids wearing no facial protection. Two of them couldn't even skate. I don't want to be responsible for one of those idiots getting hurt especially since they looked they were in high school or maybe just out.

That's unusual. I usually judge the ringers by the ones who don't wear any facial protection at all and have VN in their helmets that is a weird colour of yellow. I play shinny with a guy who says he is still adjusting to playing with a helmet. He is somewhat older than most of us or our grandparents.

This morning we had three kids wearing no facial protection. Two of them couldn't even skate. I don't want to be responsible for one of those idiots getting hurt especially since they looked they were in high school or maybe just out.

There's a guy at one of my pick-up games who wears no helmet, but has goggles.

I wish the rink attendant, or the guy running the game would tell him he has to wear a helmet.

As far as the less talented players, I do try to give them a bit more room than I'd give somebody else, or I'll purposely miss the puck while trying to pretend I'm going for it. I absolutely hate it when somebody is obvious about taking it easy on me.

The guys that show up, play on the same team together for their midget/high school/junior team. Then make sure they are on the same team on the ice then only pass to each other. Most annoying thing ever at my drop ins.

A very talented player in our pickups has a reputation of only going white, to be on the same team as the guy that most of us think as the best -- who goes white because most of the black players come from the same team and take hellaciously long shifts. Regardless what the relative talent is between the teams, Player A suits up with Player B. Well, Player B wasn't at pickup yesterday, but the black team had three kids who apparently had played together as midgets and were back for Xmas. Player A comes on the ice and starts counting jerseys, so I said, "Why don't you just add up the manpower -- they're going to kill us!" To no avail, however, as Player A went black and the skate was lopsided.

I don't know whether Player A likes to "win;" whether he intuitively realizes he'll be set up better by stronger players, since Player A has semi-cherrypicking tendencies; or whether he just doesn't want to skate as hard. It's just frustrating when certain players who can alter the level of talent between the teams choose the path that will make the pickup more fun for them, but worse for the rest of us.

I don't know whether Player A likes to "win;" whether he intuitively realizes he'll be set up better by stronger players, since Player A has semi-cherrypicking tendencies; or whether he just doesn't want to skate as hard. It's just frustrating when certain players who can alter the level of talent between the teams choose the path that will make the pickup more fun for them, but worse for the rest of us.

Ugh. I know what you mean. I personally like switching it up every time I play. I like playing with and against different players.

Since I'm usually one of the better guys at my pick-ups, I usually get put on a "weaker" team to "even" things out. Ends up being a very frustrating game. If the guy who ran the game just randomized it, or at least tried to make it decently even, it wouldn't be so bad.

A very talented player in our pickups has a reputation of only going white, to be on the same team as the guy that most of us think as the best -- who goes white because most of the black players come from the same team and take hellaciously long shifts. Regardless what the relative talent is between the teams, Player A suits up with Player B. Well, Player B wasn't at pickup yesterday, but the black team had three kids who apparently had played together as midgets and were back for Xmas. Player A comes on the ice and starts counting jerseys, so I said, "Why don't you just add up the manpower -- they're going to kill us!" To no avail, however, as Player A went black and the skate was lopsided.

One of the guys I play with regularly will do that. He always makes sure he is playing with the best players. That way he can guarantee that if he tries he's gonna look like a superstar since he is a very good player when he tries. If he plays with the best players it makes teams so lopsided one way because he's so good, but if he's playing with a weaker team, even if he would make the team even, he won't try at all. It's annoying because in our regular game its impossible to make teams fair because of him.

tareatingrat- I'm usually in the same boat you are. We alternate who sets up our pick up game and rents the ice each week between three or four guys. (We all pay they just front the money) Most times we have that person split the teams up. I'm always put with all the weaker players because I tend to help them out more, and won't quit just because my team isn't as good. It's still frustrating though.

How about this though, and I think I've posted about this before, but the guys who will only play on the "good team" will basically go out of their way to make the weaker players look bad. I don't know how many of them notice it, but I always notice. If the defender can't skate it is time to pull a fancy between the legs deke, but if they see me in the lane it's time do pass the puck off or dump it as soon as possible. I'm not even a good defender, but I'm not gonna fall for their silly moves either.

How about this though, and I think I've posted about this before, but the guys who will only play on the "good team" will basically go out of their way to make the weaker players look bad. I don't know how many of them notice it, but I always notice. If the defender can't skate it is time to pull a fancy between the legs deke, but if they see me in the lane it's time do pass the puck off or dump it as soon as possible. I'm not even a good defender, but I'm not gonna fall for their silly moves either.

It's a tough one, because sometimes a play develops and I don't even realize I've just burnt a guy until I look back after the play.

During my regular pick-up games, I will try to go through a lot of players, because it helps me practice my stickhandling, and if I did what I should do (take them wide or dump and chase) I'd fly by a lot of them without much effort. At least when I don't get through somebody, they feel like a pro for stopping me :D.

If the guy I'm one-on-one with is obviously awful, I'll usually circle or stop and pass the puck off. To me there's nothing worse than somebody who's obviously a much, much better player making moves that look cool, but that they could never realistically get off against someone of their level. (But I'm all for friends of a similar talent level trying to dangle each other...).

I won't go out of my way to make somebody look bad, and I know what you're talking about, but sometimes, depending on who is out there, you'll just look like a jerk no matter what. I think as long as you don't showboat, give people credit for their nice plays, and make an effort to pass the puck, most people will realize that you're not trying to be an ass, you're just playing your game.

The guy that shouts "off sides" from the bench.

Really ... no really it matters that much in pickup???

My other least favorite is the self proclaimed semi-pro who makes fun of the guys just starting to play.

Join a "competitive" beer league already and win that shopping coupon for the mall already!

It's a tough one, because sometimes a play develops and I don't even realize I've just burnt a guy until I look back after the play.

During my regular pick-up games, I will try to go through a lot of players, because it helps me practice my stickhandling, and if I did what I should do (take them wide or dump and chase) I'd fly by a lot of them without much effort. At least when I don't get through somebody, they feel like a pro for stopping me :D.

If the guy I'm one-on-one with is obviously awful, I'll usually circle or stop and pass the puck off. To me there's nothing worse than somebody who's obviously a much, much better player making moves that look cool, but that they could never realistically get off against someone of their level. (But I'm all for friends of a similar talent level trying to dangle each other...).

I won't go out of my way to make somebody look bad, and I know what you're talking about, but sometimes, depending on who is out there, you'll just look like a jerk no matter what. I think as long as you don't showboat, give people credit for their nice plays, and make an effort to pass the puck, most people will realize that you're not trying to be an ass, you're just playing your game.

The thing is though these guys are clearly going out of their way to look good against bad players. There's a few of them in our game, who usually end up all playing together. One of them will go so far as to celebrate and keep stats. I'm not a great player, but I'm one of the best players in our game, and I love taking it to those guys when we play. Usually it takes a little bit for me to get mad about it and start running right through their team. It just sucks though, because I become a bad teammate and fail to make passes that I should because I wanna show up the few jerks.

The thing is though these guys are clearly going out of their way to look good against bad players. There's a few of them in our game, who usually end up all playing together. One of them will go so far as to celebrate and keep stats. I'm not a great player, but I'm one of the best players in our game, and I love taking it to those guys when we play. Usually it takes a little bit for me to get mad about it and start running right through their team. It just sucks though, because I become a bad teammate and fail to make passes that I should because I wanna show up the few jerks.

You showing up the jerks makes you equally as bad, you have sunk to their level.

True, but I think most people would much rathar have people playing them for real than to have people go easy on them all he time. Honestly, I wouldnt say those players were being dicks, it would either motivate me to get better or I would choose to play in a league of people who are closer to my level.

I cant imagine that anyone would feel very good if they went out there and busted their butt and felt good about how they played, only to later find out that all the other players were just patronizing them and playing them easy just to make them feel better.

As a newbie 9 months in, I have given this situation alot of thought, and it is an EXTREMELY difficult situation for the more experienced players to address how to handle scrubs like me.

My thought: the best scenario would be let them challenge us - but at our level - meaning don't back off, but make us beginners work for it, as if the defending player was also a relatively new player roughly equal or slightly better than us.

As the poster above said, if the experienced players went hard at us they'd take the puck away very quickly, but if they gave a bit of room but not just let us walk right into the offensive zone, so that we get used to handling the puck with people around us - and not lose our balance, and be forced to keep our heads up so that the seeds begin to be planted for entering that type of situation, I think that that would work best.

In situations where I attend Friday/Saturday night open hockey is loaded with ex-college/ringers, I take 30 second shifts and keep my mouth shut and my eyes and ears open. If the far better players send me a pass, I am thrilled and do my absolute best not to screw up, panic, and turn it over - but make sure i get it back to one of them so they can do their thing. I am used to doing this since i do go every weekend, but sometimes the talent level is not that high, so i extend my shifts a bit.

As a newbie 9 months in, I have given this situation alot of thought, and it is an EXTREMELY difficult situation for the more experienced players to address how to handle scrubs like me.

My thought: the best scenario would be let them challenge us - but at our level - meaning don't back off, but make us beginners work for it, as if the defending player was also a relatively new player roughly equal or slightly better than us.

As the poster above said, if the experienced players went hard at us they'd take the puck away very quickly, but if they gave a bit of room but not just let us walk right into the offensive zone, so that we get used to handling the puck with people around us - and not lose our balance, and be forced to keep our heads up so that the seeds begin to be planted for entering that type of situation, I think that that would work best.

In situations where I attend Friday/Saturday night open hockey is loaded with ex-college/ringers, I take 30 second shifts and keep my mouth shut and my eyes and ears open. If the far better players send me a pass, I am thrilled and do my absolute best not to screw up, panic, and turn it over - but make sure i get it back to one of them so they can do their thing. I am used to doing this since i do go every weekend, but sometimes the talent level is not that high, so i extend my shifts a bit.

I think thats a really good way to go into it. That way you learn as much as you can and show the better players a certain degree of respect, so they are more likely to take you under their wing and help you out.

I hate the guy who chirps at the newbies then takes em' out in the corner for no reason when they have about 6 inches on the guy. Happen to me a while back the guy was trying to live the college hockey dream yet he was a hardcore duster.

I am a quiet guy on the ice, play the game, make the passes and try to set up plays. There is no need to talk to shit to prove dominance, I know your big and could probably knock me out.

Another pet peeve: Cherry Pickers and guys who try to take it in when its 1 on 4 because they have their head down fucking look around and make a pass.

Game 7 pick up players...hate em.

they take it waaaaaay to seriously. Don't get me wrong I love to compete and play/skate hard, but slashes, taking runs at players etc. is excessive

a few days ago I turned my back to a guy to shield the puck and earned a hefty cross check in the back. I gave him a solid slash in the back of the legs after that and made him work for every inch of ice the rest of the session. He started bitching me out over it too.

Gotta love taking the Hacks for no reason, Last sunday in a gentleman's league game a guy to took a two hander to my stick while I was the blade was on the ice for a tip, no idea what he was trying to accomplish... also looked like robocop

good job standing your ground, did he leave the ice 10 min early too?... that would complete be textbook game 7 player

I hate the guy who chirps at the newbies then takes em' out in the corner for no reason when they have about 6 inches on the guy. Happen to me a while back the guy was trying to live the college hockey dream yet he was a hardcore duster.

I am a quiet guy on the ice, play the game, make the passes and try to set up plays. There is no need to talk to shit to prove dominance, I know your big and could probably knock me out.

Another pet peeve: Cherry Pickers and guys who try to take it in when its 1 on 4 because they have their head down fucking look around and make a pass.

I've seen this a few times before, but I don't know it -- what's a "duster"?

General insult for being bad at hockey.

Comes from sitting the bench so much you "collect dust".

Thanks. I don't need to go to the rink to do that.

Frankly, I really dislike the ones who will do anything to stop your scoring opportunities. Is it really necessary to dive and whack at my foot to stop my from getting up the zone? Or to push the net aside just so I'll miss. And guess what, I'm not talking about ice hockey. This is fricking floor hockey at lunch time....

Frankly, I really dislike the ones who will do anything to stop your scoring opportunities. Is it really necessary to dive and whack at my foot to stop my from getting up the zone? Or to push the net aside just so I'll miss. And guess what, I'm not talking about ice hockey. This is fricking floor hockey at lunch time....

i know the feeling. i was playing a half ice pick up and i was on a mini break just me and the goalie and some kid who was clearly better than every one playing decides to throw his stick to knock the puck away from me. This game was pretty laid back but I don't think that was necessary.

i know the feeling. i was playing a half ice pick up and i was on a mini break just me and the goalie and some kid who was clearly better than every one playing decides to throw his stick to knock the puck away from me. This game was pretty laid back but I don't think that was necessary.

At least you got a penalty shot out of it. :laugh: