Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

This morning we had the coach on the bench. The guy who is yelling about everything everyone else does. Called out a few things that guys "should have done." Started complaining like a previous poster that passes weren't on his tape, and all that usual jazz. He blindly dumped out a puck that would have gone to the other team if I hadn't skated my butt off and picked it up leading to me beating a defender one on one and scoring, to which he responded by getting in my face saying that's what happens when a pass is on the tape. I just shook my head at him and skated off.

The same guy then proceeded to take a 15 minute break on the bench, refusing to go on when guys would try to come off. I guess he was waiting for everyone else to tire out, because when he finally did get on he skated through the other team once (didn't score though) and acted like he was hot stuff.

We had a few selfish players at pick up this morning, but all the other ones were at least good guys about it, being friendly on the bench, apologizing for not passing enough, stuff like that.

Pissing off that d-nozzle is one of my favorite past-times. They really hate it when that slow old lady they thought was going to be a pylon rope-a-dopes them and takes the puck off their stick like taking candy from a baby. Yeah, that wanna-be/used-to-be all-star might deke me out of my socks 4 times out of 5, but that fifth time makes it all worthwhile :-)

Yes. I hate playing WITH these guys, but playing against them is great.

haha that is awesome. I hate when people are out there rippin shots from the point in a pick up game.

Do you expect D men not to have fun or try to score? It is Hockey.

I hate when forwards yell at me for taking slap shots from 60 feet away but they rip 80 mph snap shots from the high slot that miss over the cross bar! Just as dangerous with much less time to react. These guys shoot at my head but then when I take slap shots from the point I am an A hole!

Yeah we have a guy at one of the sessions that will not pass, backcheck, skate for his own missed shots. I do my best to get in his way now, and dump the puck rather than breakout to him if hes the only option.

Do you expect D men not to have fun or try to score? It is Hockey.

I hate when forwards yell at me for taking slap shots from 60 feet away but they rip 80 mph snap shots from the high slot that miss over the cross bar! Just as dangerous with much less time to react. These guys shoot at my head but then when I take slap shots from the point I am an A hole!

There are two rules when it comes to shooting at pick-up:

1. No slappers into a crowd.

2. Don't rip it high when there's people in front.

There are two rules when it comes to shooting at pick-up:

1. No slappers into a crowd.

2. Don't rip it high when there's people in front.

When I do actually take a slapper at a pickup game, it's usually an attempt to hit a stick for a deflection or a back door play. A faked slapper often buys a lot more time as guys bail out of the way, but that only works once or twice before people realize I'm not going to unload one into traffic.

No I don't expect D men to rip slap shots in a pick up game, unnecessary. Unless like Chippa said there's no one in front or you keep it low

Well It is not like I am ripping them at people. As far as people in front, I am putting it on someone's stick from the blue line. Other than that m original point stands. More people getting hit by wrist shots from forwards than from the point.

As a forward who likes camping in front of the net, I actually yell for my D-men to fire a slapper so I can (practise) screening and deflection...this one kid then promptly fired it right at my throat.

I find that it really isn't fun when your playing and someone you know that you don't like happens to show up, and I'm sure this goes for many other as well -- the common new guy that can't skate.

Playing with guys who lack the grace to welcome newcomers to the sport, or the tact to help them out with a few tips on what they can do to improve.

that's bullshit man, one of the best things in the game is meeting new guys and helping them along any way you can. at a pickup game id much rather set up a new guy for a goal then score myself.

that's bullshit man, one of the best things in the game is meeting new guys and helping them along any way you can. at a pickup game id much rather set up a new guy for a goal then score myself.

I believe thats what he was implying.

EVERYBODY on this forum should agree with this.

To add to the list, I hate guys who don't know how to handle thier slap shots from the point.

90% of my shots remain on the ice from the blueline to the net. The other 10% don't get above knee level.

Players who refuse to pay, but try to sneak on the ice anyway. Or even worse, players who won't pay and the rink helps them out. What happened to me last Monday was a guy said he uses his friends pickup passes. He keeps naming names of guys he knows till he hits one that has passes. The rink cashier actually helped him find a free pass! Meanwhile about 10 of us are lined up behind him waiting to pay our $10 and go suit up. This took quite abit of time.

"NHL'ers"

i hate them, every pickup game is their stanley cup game, idiotic and annoying, the biggest one is during warm ups we're discussing separation for teams so we're somewhat even and theres that asshole up against the boards doing FREAKING PUSH UPS ON ICE, seriously pushups to warm up.

Or my favorite, i get it, during warm ups everyone does a few slap shots but not everyone wants to, but if you're not wearing a cage or if you even have a visor, what kind of moron gets behind the net everyone is slamming pucks at? and then wonder why they're bleeding and i'm pressing a cloth to try and stop the blood flow while i have someone find your teeth.

I love pickup, its fun, a good time i spend it literally laughing at people and myself. But the ones there doing the above, just kills it. And who cares about offsides if you're a little bit thats fine we dont enforce it but unless the guy screaming it and talking shit about being offsides is an actual official, nobody cares.

"NHL'ers"

i hate them, every pickup game is their stanley cup game, idiotic and annoying, the biggest one is during warm ups we're discussing separation for teams so we're somewhat even and theres that asshole up against the boards doing FREAKING PUSH UPS ON ICE, seriously pushups to warm up.

Or my favorite, i get it, during warm ups everyone does a few slap shots but not everyone wants to, but if you're not wearing a cage or if you even have a visor, what kind of moron gets behind the net everyone is slamming pucks at? and then wonder why they're bleeding and i'm pressing a cloth to try and stop the blood flow while i have someone find your teeth.

I love pickup, its fun, a good time i spend it literally laughing at people and myself. But the ones there doing the above, just kills it. And who cares about offsides if you're a little bit thats fine we dont enforce it but unless the guy screaming it and talking shit about being offsides is an actual official, nobody cares.

Strong words there, if you 'hate' them so much, why go to pickup? Who cares if there's someone doing pushups? It doesn't affect you or your enjoyment of the game, unless the dude is doing it in front of the net or something.

But I do agree with the ones taking it too seriously, I guess pickup is their only form of competition and that those people are competitive players. It sucks for them really haha, pity

Players who refuse to pay, but try to sneak on the ice anyway. Or even worse, players who won't pay and the rink helps them out. What happened to me last Monday was a guy said he uses his friends pickup passes. He keeps naming names of guys he knows till he hits one that has passes. The rink cashier actually helped him find a free pass! Meanwhile about 10 of us are lined up behind him waiting to pay our $10 and go suit up. This took quite abit of time.

I'll second this a thousand time. One night these two jerks decided not to pay; Manager came to the benches and made everyone else leave the ice and get their receipts while these asses are on the ice for like 30 minutes because they know if they get off the manager is going to send them out.

I also hate the guys that treat pick up games (and even beer league games) like it's the SC finals or their chance to get noticed by the scouts. I'm all for playing hard and giving a good effort on the ice, but I also know myself and most others out there have to go to work the next day, so sometimes it's just better to let up and not kill the guy or yourself playing a pick up game. The other pet peeve I have are those who think they can coach everyone else out there when they themselves aren't really all that good. I'm all for constructive criticism and pointers from others who can help me, but it really irks me when a guy scores a goal or two and suddenly thinks he's a coach for everyone on the bench.

I also hate the guys that treat pick up games (and even beer league games) like it's the SC finals or their chance to get noticed by the scouts. I'm all for playing hard and giving a good effort on the ice, but I also know myself and most others out there have to go to work the next day, so sometimes it's just better to let up and not kill the guy or yourself playing a pick up game. The other pet peeve I have are those who think they can coach everyone else out there when they themselves aren't really all that good. I'm all for constructive criticism and pointers from others who can help me, but it really irks me when a guy scores a goal or two and suddenly thinks he's a coach for everyone on the bench.

Yes, because you have to be a better player than somebody in order to coach effectively. Wayne Gretzky leading the Coyotes to all those Stanley Cups is a perfect testament to that. I agree that actual coaching at pickup is ineffective, but just because someone might not have skill does not mean they are incapable of observing things on the ice.

Here, here.Ever notice how sometimes the best players most often have the smallest ego's and the ones who 'THINK' they are the best players are the ones who talk s#%t on the ice or in the locker room .Not everyone is an amazing player but I think everyone who plays hockey plays it because they just love to play the game.Its all about having fun while trying to play a team game eh ?

I found this tasty morsel on the web if everybody would follow these simple rules pick up hockey would be fun and enjoyable for all

My link

Pick Up Hockey etiqutte

Posted by Miles Anthony November 24, 2010 - 149 views - Filed in Hockey in general - #Pick Up Hockey etiqutte

ost pick up hockey games consist of around 20 players who know each other but because of obvious reasons i.e. injuries, work, the wife (or husband…although I find that hard to imagine) new players are invited out to fill up empty spots. The games I organize always have new players because of the way it’s setup (of course I use Hockeyfinder.com). This is great because I always get enough guys out to cover the cost of the ice and I get to meet lots of new people (I’m in sales) but I must admit I’m always a little concerned about whether or not the new guy or girl will fit in. Not because of the level of play he/she is capable of playing but more so because I don’t want someone out who doesn’t follow the 10 unspoken rules of pick up/open hockey.

Here they are in no particular order….

1) Pass the puck. You might be the best player on the ice. You might be able to stick-handle through the other team and score at will, but nobody likes a puck-hog. Give it up!

2) Don’t kill the goalie: During the warm-up. No goalie ever asks to have his head warmed up. Nor do they need to work out kinks in their neck or collarbone. There is no need to shoot the puck above the goalie’s belly button. If you want to wire a few high hard ones, or test out your new composite stick, do it against the glass. Injuring the goalie during warm-up is a big no-no. During the game. When the goalie puts his glove or pad on the puck stop hacking & poking. Assume the play is dead & skate away. If you are driving the net and have to choose between running over the goalie (and scoring) and going around the net (and not scoring), opt for the latter.

3) Don’t kill anybody else. If you get the puck at the point, resist the temptation to shoot for the top corner. Ripping a shot past the ears of the guys standing in front of the net won’t win you any friends.

4) Pay the man. You need the guy who organizes the game and hence collects the money needed to pay for the ice – you need this guy more than he needs you. Don’t make him chase you down for money.

5) Get off the ice. If you are tired, get off ice. If you are resting your stick on your knees & sucking for air, get off the ice. If you’ve been on the ice for more than 2 minutes, get off the ice. If your line mates head for the bench, get off the ice. When in doubt, get off the ice.

6) Keep it clean. Assume the NHL rules apply to you – stop hooking, holding and water-skiing. If you trip somebody, apologize. If somebody trips, hooks or holds you, assume it was an accident.

7) Air out your equipment. When you were 13 it was cool to bring tears to your teammates’ eyes just by opening your bag. That time has passed. Keep it clean.

8 ) Don’t whine about the teams. The same guy who collects the money attempts to create balanced teams from a wildly unbalanced talent pool. If the odd game is a little one-sided just shut-up and play harder. Consider it an opportunity to work on your defensive play.

9) Give up your dream. You are not going to the NHL. You will not be discovered by an NHL scout while playing pick-up hockey at 10 pm on a Monday night. Play hard but remember that Janet Gretzky is not waiting at home for you & everybody has to go to work the next morning.

10) Humility. If you score a goal please remember it’s pick up hockey. Nobody likes the jackass who rubs it in every time he scores (there are exceptions of course) so simply skate over to the guy who passed you the puck, tap his glove, and get on with it.

Follow these simple rules and you will fit in right away. You will be invited back, the puck will be passed to you and you’ll be invited out for a post-game beer. Follow these rules and you will be you will be accepted as one of the gang.FFT

I just have to vent about the guy we refer to as the lord of the douche. At any given pick up I've played at there's always a guy or two with a bad habit. I've always just brushed it off as the reality of playing drop in hockey. But then you have the lord of the douche. He's a marginal player in all aspects of the game, but to his mind he's superior to Wayne Gretzky and it's only that a cruel and unfair world left him undiscovered. He's not shy about letting you know how good he thinks he is, because that pass that you gave him that his his tape and bounced off, it was your fault he didn't catch it. To him drop in hockey is serious business, and not to be played for fun. He's the kind of idiot that races to a puck in the corners at a speed that is well outside of his ability to control. As a result he frequently injures himself, and creates dangerous situations for others. That whole no checking thing, that applies only to you. And if he tries to hit you and you push through it you were "shoving" him. His response to everything is to try and start a fight. I can't imagine the level of douche it takes to actually try to fight a guy because you thought he was holding your stick. Oh, and the guy wasn't actually holding his stick, he just used his hand to prevent the lord of the douche from stick checking him. Trying to start fights in drop in is douche enough, but to add that extra little touch of douche he wears a cage while doing it. The group I play with is pretty regular, there's never been a fight, or even a shoving match, that didn't involve the lord of the douche.

The lord of the douche has one shift length: 15 minutes. This is in no way hyperbole, he takes 15 minute shifts. Doesn't matter how many guys are on the bench, doesn't matter what anyone says to him, he takes 15 minute shifts. Now you might ask how does one take a 15 minute shift and remain effective. Well the answer is he doesn't. He plays the position I like to call the lazy wingfensman. What that roughly translates to is if there's any chance he might get the puck he will skate a little harder than usual and is the wing. If there isn't he plays "defense," you know, whatever is going to create the least amount of skating. It's not like he actually gets back and plays any defense. If he doesn't have the puck he glides around the ice about as fast as I was going the time I took my girlfriend to a public skate.

The lord of the douche does not pass, ever. He is going to dangle his way through four guys. Well, he's going to try. Inevitably as the sun rising in the east the first guy he comes across strips him of the puck and he proceeds to act like he's having a bad day and his otherwise glorious stick handling is letting him down. Never you mind that it happens every time he handles the puck. He also has one kind of shot, and one kind alone. A head high hard wrister, over which he has no control. I've never seen him take a shot that wasn't a wiff that went any lower than 6 inches above the cross bar. It's seriously so bad that two of the regular goalies just skate away from the net when he takes a shot. He doesn't seem to be able to take the hint there.

The lord of the douche is also very special. You see when he shows up late, which is almost always, he cannot be bothered to do like everyone else and stretch and warm up a bit on the bench. No, he must have a proper on ice warm up. Your little game that's going on will just need to play around him until he's ready to grace it with his amazing abilities.

Douche bag of the universe award to that guy.

Oh yeah? We had some douche bag tonight stay out literally 30 minutes and went really hard on the new guys. It didn't take long before a couple guys and I said something to him.