Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

I think it falls on rinks to be clear about what they mean. When I first moved here the only thing I could find was a lunch time "stick and puck." I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it was really a long standing drop in game. But there are people that show up expecting stick and puck that aren't as thrilled to discover it's a game. It seems to be a common issue that could simply be cleared up by the rink:

1.Stating clearly whether a time slot is for practice or drop in games

2.Enforcing the policy. If you say no games than no games.

I've run across way too many rinks that use stick & puck and drop in hockey as interchangeable terms.

We have no such thing as "stick and puck" here. It's either a pick up game, or public/leisure skate with no sticks or pucks.

If there's less than 6 players that show up to a pick up game, I guess it sort of turns into a stick&puck.

Its even more confusing at one of my local rinks - they have "stick time" and "puck time" - one of which is for practice and one of which is for pickup. They enforce it, so its good in that respect, but I'll be damned if I can ever remember which is which. I have to ask every time.

Well the rink here most definitely distinguishes between drop-in and stick n puck. Also, this wasn't a regularly scheduled stick n puck, the rink just had open ice due to the holiday break... thus no regular group of guys, just a group of jackasses.

usually when people forget their water i offer them water, i usually bring the water bottle plus a gallon of water on the end of the bench to refill it, i just hate it when nobody asks and a random dude will put his mouth on the gallon of water and just drink it up until i say something and he apologizes. Apologies dont kill germs from a dude with a mouth full of chew thats now floating in the jug

I got one...dudes who use mouthguards, but instead of wearing it properly, they're chewing the shit out of it all game and if they did get nailed in the mouth or hit their head or whatever, they'd be f'd. Why even use a mouthguard? Just chew a deflated balloon or something instead.

Sure you see the pros do it, but it's between whistles AND they probably have pretty good dental coverage.

I've never had an issue with anyone touching my water bottle, I have had it knocked over and the lid broken... no one picked it up for me :(

Dudes who don't bother to buckle their chin straps and they don't have a cage, so if they go ass over tea kettle, the bucket will go flying and noodle will slam ice. Might as well just wear a baseball cap on the ice, then.

To continue with the water concept, bringing water and after two shifts it being completely gone.

Take a roll of white tape and wrap your bottle a few times. Then get a black marker and write ''FLU'' in real big letters on it.

No one will touch that bottle again..

Take a roll of white tape and wrap your bottle a few times. Then get a black marker and write ''FLU'' in real big letters on it.

If you come to shinny/league games week after week with a bottle that says "FLU" on it every time, people might catch on. :huh:

Also, I don't think a lot of guys even look, they just grab the nearest bottle and squeeze. I'm considering bringing a couple of black bottles full of pureed habaneros and just dropping them behind the bench or something.

Some of these, perhaps?

Just put the bottle somewhere out of reach. Guys who steal water are fundamentally lazy; if you put the bottle off in the corner somewhere, they won't bother walking over to get it.

Just put the bottle somewhere out of reach. Guys who steal water are fundamentally lazy; if you put the bottle off in the corner somewhere, they won't bother walking over to get it.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Only downside is I need to be less lazy to get it. Small price to pay for only the times I play pickup. Good looking out.

Its even more confusing at one of my local rinks - they have "stick time" and "puck time" - one of which is for practice and one of which is for pickup. They enforce it, so its good in that respect, but I'll be damned if I can ever remember which is which. I have to ask every time.

Okay, that sounds like just f**king with people for the sake of the rink staff getting some laughs lol.

This made me laugh, because I had to do it at the last pickup I was at.

I literally moved the bottle out of arms reach from where people sat...perfect.

The other day we had four skaters on our bench, the other team had twelve on theirs. I didn't mind, but I can't figure out why people wouldn't want to switch.

This. It's mind-boggling. Did you not bring two jerseys? Fine. Ask the bench if someone has a spare or will switch.

This happens in a few pickups bc this beer league team tries to keep it all together. That's fine here and they but it is EVERY TIME twice a week. I love my teammates but actually like playing against them because I can play them harder and am forced to adjut on the fly.

So you know they old joke where when someone is going a little too hard for pick up you tell them the scouts aren't watching, well last nights we did have scouts at our pick up. Sort of. A couple recruits for the local college were in town visiting campus, and they came to pick up, along with a few of the coaches. Kind of funny to see the coaches all standing behind the glass with their warm up jackets on.