Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juiced

Is my alcohol being watered down?

I'd buy a hydrometer for 10 bucks and take gravity readings. if they change, someones been diluting it.

Most hydrometers one would find at a local homebrew supply place (LHBS) won't work for the purer spirits, which have a specific gravity lower than 1. In fact, I just measured some vodka out and my beer hydrometer sank like uh, well like a lead weight. Likely rum is the same. Even though it has more unfermented sugars in it, you've probably got at least 40% alcohol in there.

So, it's a great suggestion but if the OP goes that route, he needs to make sure to get the right kind of equipment.

Edit: comma splice. Off to find a use for this vodka now...doubt that'll be a problem.

I'd buy a hydrometer for 10 bucks and take gravity readings. if they change, someones been diluting it.

Most hydrometers one would find at a local homebrew supply place (LHBS) won't work for the purer spirits, which have a specific gravity lower than 1. In fact, I just measured some vodka out and my beer hydrometer sank like uh, well like a lead weight. Likely rum is the same. Even though it has more unfermented sugars in it, you've probably got at least 40% alcohol in there.

So, it's a great suggestion but if the OP goes that route, he needs to make sure to get the right kind of equipment.

Edit: comma splice. Off to find a use for this vodka now...doubt that'll be a problem.

See, I've only used mine for beer, and really, haven't noticed anything below 1.012 and above 1.072 (my highest OG and lowest FG as of yet)

See, I've only used mine for beer, and really, haven't noticed anything below 1.012 and above 1.072 (my highest OG and lowest FG as of yet)

What kind of brew had that OG? Sounds like it turned out pretty well :)

WEll, you see. I home brew myself... a few of my buddies do as well. You just have to know how to find the right hydrometer

true story... walk into homebrew supply shop with a pal. He goes, "so, um say i wanted to know the alcohol content of something."

"hydrometers are over there"

"um, well, say i found this stuff that wasnt beer and didnt know what it was, but i still wanted to know what the content was."

"OH, um, yes, you can find that back here"

good times :ph34r:

WEll, you see. I home brew myself... a few of my buddies do as well. You just have to know how to find the right hydrometer

true story... walk into homebrew supply shop with a pal. He goes, "so, um say i wanted to know the alcohol content of something."

"hydrometers are over there"

"um, well, say i found this stuff that wasnt beer and didnt know what it was, but i still wanted to know what the content was."

"OH, um, yes, you can find that back here"

good times :ph34r:

Hahaha. It doesn't matter what else is in it, right. Only that it has enough alcohol ;)

Bitch slap him and tell him to stop. Why screw around, he's your brother....

you should buy a new bottle and put a laxative in the old one and then you'll know if he drank it hahaha.....he wont know what to do shit or throw up hahaha :)

I made what I'm calling my Double Irish Porter. It's basically an imperial porter, but I soaked 2 oz of roast oak chips in 16 oz of Jameson for 2 weeks, then added that to the 2ndry fermenter.

I had 1lb Chocolate, 1/2 lb Dark Crystal and 1/2 lb Black malts.

Then 6 lb Dark DME, and 1 lb Wheat DME (for mouthfeel/head retention)

1 oz chinook, 1 oz target hops

All together for a 1.072 OG

Using a Scottish Ale Yeast.

Been in my 2ndry since january 13th, going to bottle it in the 2nd week of march.

That should be enough time to let the whiskey and vanilla beans (added 3 cut, scraped and split vanilla beans to the 2ndry too) mellow out.

Should be ready to drink in April, fingers crossed. Random gravity readings every 2 weeks have been good, down to 1.018 now, and holding.

Tastes pretty good so far, but we'll see ;)

I made what I'm calling my Double Irish Porter. It's basically an imperial porter, but I soaked 2 oz of roast oak chips in 16 oz of Jameson for 2 weeks, then added that to the 2ndry fermenter.

I had 1lb Chocolate, 1/2 lb Dark Crystal and 1/2 lb Black malts.

Then 6 lb Dark DME, and 1 lb Wheat DME (for mouthfeel/head retention)

1 oz chinook, 1 oz target hops

All together for a 1.072 OG

Using a Scottish Ale Yeast.

Been in my 2ndry since january 13th, going to bottle it in the 2nd week of march.

That should be enough time to let the whiskey and vanilla beans (added 3 cut, scraped and split vanilla beans to the 2ndry too) mellow out.

Should be ready to drink in April, fingers crossed. Random gravity readings every 2 weeks have been good, down to 1.018 now, and holding.

Tastes pretty good so far, but we'll see ;)

*drool*

Great recipe, I may have to try that. I actually just made my first porter. I applaud you for using real vanilla beans rather than extract.

What do the gravity rankings mean?

The more sugars that yeast hasn't eaten and turned into carbon dioxide and alcohol in a beer, the higher the specific gravity (as compared to water). So, for liquids that are lighter than water and have been fermented, the gravity can be used to measure alcohol by volume.

*drool*

Great recipe, I may have to try that. I actually just made my first porter. I applaud you for using real vanilla beans rather than extract.

Here is my full recipe. I will say this, if you are using real vanilla beans, make sure they are madagascar beans. Mexican vanilla beans are dryer and won't impart as much (this was info given to me by someone well versed in spices and seasonings, I don't have a clue about this stuff myself!!! :lol: )

Double Irish Vanilla Porter

Steeping Grains

• 1.0 lbs. Simpson's Chocolate – L 338

• 0.5 lbs. Simpson's Dark Crystal – L 135 - 165

• 0.5 lbs. Simpson's Black Malt - L 471

Malts (all DME)

• 1 lbs. Wheat DME (boil for 60 min.)

• 6 lbs. Dark Malt DME (boil 3lbs for 60 min, boil 3lbs for 15 min)

Hops

• 1 oz. Chinook 12.2 % AA (60 min)

• 0.5 oz. Target 10 % AA (15 min)

• 0.5 oz. Target 10 % AA (5 min)

Specialty additions

• 2 oz. US Medium Plus Oak Cubes (house roast) (Add to secondary)

• 16 oz. Jameson Irish Whiskey (Add to secondary)

• 3 Madagascar vanilla beans, cut, scraped and sliced (Add to secondary)

Yeast

• Wyeast #1728 Scottish Ale Yeast. Ideally suited for Scottish-style ales, and high gravity ales of all types. Flocculation: high. Apparent attenuation: 69-73%. Optimum temperature: 55-70.

Special Instructions for additives

Soak the oak cubes in 16 oz Jameson for 2 weeks to prepare for adding to secondary fermentation.

Cut and scrape 3 vanilla beans and soak in 4 oz Jameson for 4 days before adding to secondary

Oh, I'm going to have to try that...loved the one you sent me before...

I can do that, with the extra additives, it's going to take a while, but I'll get some sent over in aprilish.

Should be a lot better, the first ones I sent was from my first batch ever.

I've got maybe 15 batches under my belt now, so have honed my talent a bit more, and know what I'm doing better

and this substance turned out to be.....

he "didnt" know what it was. wink wink nod nod

I didn't get it until this post. Let's just say that puck_it's buddy does Uncle Jessie Duke proud :ph34r:

Edit: Forgot about the other Uncle Jessie.

and this substance turned out to be.....

he "didnt" know what it was. wink wink nod nod

I didn't get it until this post. Let's just say that puck_it's buddy does Uncle Jessie Duke proud :ph34r:

Edit: Forgot about the other Uncle Jessie.

"lost sheep to sheppard... you got yer ears on?' :D