Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TBLfan

"Cup Raise"

I have to admit that I have been impressed with the NHL related advertising this season. It once again feels like the advertisers have truly tapped into the essence of the playoffs and hockey. I haven't seen NHL adds this good since the late 90's.

"The CUp Changes Everything" line of ads has been a lot better than some stuff, but I'm not into the voice over commercial when they show objects and say things like "I am Victory... I am Defeat". I think some of the descriptions or one-liners are just off a bit, and they could have chosen some better things to showcase.

Get an x-ray of an injury and say something like "I am just an annoyance" with Brind'Amour hoisting the cup with his separated shoulder.

The lawn-chair one is especially stupid. I just don't get why million-dollar athletes are in lawn chairs, and why we need to see micro to macro views of it.

I have to admit that I have been impressed with the NHL related advertising this season. It once again feels like the advertisers have truly tapped into the essence of the playoffs and hockey. I haven't seen NHL adds this good since the late 90's.

Then you read the snapshots in hockey news this week where they say that the NHL doesn't like playoff beards because it's harder to get attention and market to ad agencies.

Then you read the snapshots in hockey news this week where they say that the NHL doesn't like playoff beards because it's harder to get attention and market to ad agencies.

That is simply asinine as once again they want the traditions of hockey to be curtailed to better accomodate a generation of people that don't understand the sport. Post lockout....too many things are being done, or trying to be adjusted to cater to people that simply aren't interested in the sport of hockey. :rolleyes:

"The CUp Changes Everything" line of ads has been a lot better than some stuff, but I'm not into the voice over commercial when they show objects and say things like "I am Victory... I am Defeat". I think some of the descriptions or one-liners are just off a bit, and they could have chosen some better things to showcase.

Get an x-ray of an injury and say something like "I am just an annoyance" with Brind'Amour hoisting the cup with his separated shoulder.

The lawn-chair one is especially stupid. I just don't get why million-dollar athletes are in lawn chairs, and why we need to see micro to macro views of it.

For the record, it was Doug Weight who raised the Cup with a useless shoulder.

That is simply asinine as once again they want the traditions of hockey to be curtailed to better accomodate a generation of people that don't understand the sport. Post lockout....too many things are being done, or trying to be adjusted to cater to people that simply aren't interested in the sport of hockey. :huh:

I could be wrong, so correct me if I am but... It's not that long of a tradition. The first team to grow playoff beards were the the 1995 NJ Devils. I mean if MLB can add a DH in the AL, any league can change. Personally, I LOVE the playoff beard and NHL has to market their great differences instead of changing everything to try to get people like Tiger Woods but, lets not pretend like the NHL is trying to change the Stanley Cup for some other trophy here.(But, the retard bettman is, I wouldn't put that past him)

I wasn't referring specifically to the beards for the playoffs, more that the advertisements this year seem more in tune with the essence of the playoffs, and hint at things that only those interested in/follow hockey would understand. The good news is that I believe that they are mysterious or intriguing enough to hopefully draw a handful of people to check it out.

Oh gotcha. Yeah, they want to get people to tune in to find out what the hell they're talking about..hopefully. Hopefully people dont think what the hell are they talking about and change the channel.

The playoff beard has adapted too...playoff haircuts (Montreal, lots of CHL teams do mohawks or hair color) of mustaches (Chicago Wolves in the AHL) are replacing the full beard in some instances. Possibly because so many young players are excelling younger and can't even grow a full beard yet *L* j/k

The playoff beard has adapted too...playoff haircuts (Montreal, lots of CHL teams do mohawks or hair color) of mustaches (Chicago Wolves in the AHL) are replacing the full beard in some instances. Possibly because so many young players are excelling younger and can't even grow a full beard yet *L* j/k

Was that a shot at Crosby?? B)

Was that a shot at Crosby?? B)

Not directly