Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBert

2008 US Election Thread

Mack, I forgot to post this earlier, but I think it's important to note that no one is begrudging her lack of experience, because she never ran for President. What we are begrudging is the lack of judgement displayed by a 72-year-old man with three instances of melanoma choosing an inexperienced Vice-Presidential solely because he seemed to think people with vulvas would vote for people with vulvas even when said person with a vulva has expressed ideas in the past that are contrary to most of those with vulvas.

That said, as long as the candidate has enough experience, it doesn't matter how much experience they have. At that point, it's just a question of issues.

Bristol (daughter) Is Pregnant!!! RIGHT ON!!

17 years old, unwed, that'll look really good to the southern "morals" voters. But, have no fear, 90% of them still probably wouldn't vote for a black man.

The more I think about it the more I think the teenage daughter being pregnant might be somewhat helpful (albeit very slightly). Palin is very pro life, and seeing that her daughter made the decision to keep her child has to impress many pro lifers. Her daughter is the prime candidate for an abortion (unwed, in high school, plus has the potential to ruin her mom's career, etc), yet she chose to keep it. Teenage pregnancy is a problem that resonates with many American families. This whole thing I think can be spun to make it look like Palin and her family have a lot of "everyday Americanness" in them (for lack of a better word), and that they handle tough situations in a way that they feel is morally superior. Plus the fact that its Palin's family means that there is still a little distance from McCain.

It could also be spun that one of her and McCain's platforms -- abstinence only education -- doesn't work.

Yeah, Illinois has all those energy issues to deal with on a daily basis. How could I forget about those.

Jason-

RE: the pregnant daughter, I think I agree that it does more harm than anything to the Republicans because of how they come off as the moral party.

That was in a statement he released. He said families were off-limits and then reminded people that his own mother was 18. Products of teenage mothers are awesome.

I agree that a mayor probably has more day-to-day responsibilities than a Senator, but in smaller towns the position is less political and more management, which is why many small towns don't have mayors, they have city managers.

I imagine a Senator's daily routines are closer to a President's than a mayor's are, although less so than a governor.

Yup, Bacack is working his ass off.

Barack Obama has missed 290 votes (45.5%) during the current Congress.

From the National Review:

I put as much as much faith in the National Review as any other political action group, none. That article is nothing more than spin to support the candidate of their chosen party.

I agree that a mayor probably has more day-to-day responsibilities than a Senator, but in smaller towns the position is less political and more management, which is why many small towns don't have mayors, they have city managers.

I imagine a Senator's daily routines are closer to a President's than a mayor's are, although less so than a governor.

Yup, Bacack is working his ass off.

Barack Obama has missed 290 votes (45.5%) during the current Congress.

And McCain is at 63.8% missed, while Hillary is at 32.3%. Those are three of the top four missed, with Number 2 (Tim Johnson) disabled by a brain hemorrhage.

They also happen to be the three candidates who have been stumping the longest. I'm willing to cut slack for all of them.

We're cutting slack for skipping out on the job. Great. Barack has the best racket going, get elected to the Senate and start your first term as a Senator in 2005, "serve" for about a year and a half and then spend the rest of your time campaigning while collecting a sweet Senator salary. Good work if you can get it.

I, for one, don't care for the idea of electing a guy with only 1.5 years of experience in dealing with national issues.

So, what, it's okay that McCain has skipped out on the job even more the past two years because of his track record?

It's the nature of the beast for campaigning, so I'm more concerned about their platforms -- as everyone should be.

Yes, the nature of the beast is campaigning, but wouldn't it be nice to have spent a little more time on the job before expecting that kind of promotion.

In the meantime those states are getting one half of their due representation in the senate. Anyone running for an office, other than the one they hold, should have to take a leave of absence or resign their current position if it is going to result in such an absurd level of truancy.

In the meantime those states are getting one half of their due representation in the senate. Anyone running for an office, other than the one they hold, should have to take a leave of absence or resign their current position if it is going to result in such an absurd level of truancy.

That's one of the many issues I had with Dodd's "campaign".

In principle, this makes a lot of sense, but I suspect it wouldn't work so well in reality.

I think one of two negative things might occur, the least of which would be an information void whenever candidates vacate office. In this presidential election, I believe there had been at least 7 Senators who declared that were running. Or the flip side is we'd have less people running, which theoretically means we might not have the best applicants.

I saw a link to this on CNN. Apparently, people can now wager on whether Palin will (be forced to) withdraw from the race.

I think the idea that Palin courts the female vote is false. While there may be a slight bump there, what she really does is add a true conservative presence to the ticket. The conservatives who were nervous that McCain was too moderate are now singing a slightly different tune. This is part of McCain solidifying his base.

As for experience, she was an executive politician, which gives her plenty of experience. She also nicely parries Obama's "more of the same" line. He can't cite her unconventional credentials in one breath and then criticize them for "more of the same in the next.

I think it was an astute political move. VP isn't really why people vote, but it got the media's attention. Obama got 90% of the coverage in the past few months, but the next couple are what really count.

Just catching some of the RNC and wow does Christian music suck.

you just take a popular song and replace baby with Jesus... Faith +1

You're not making Christianity any better, you're just making rock and roll worse.

Just catching some of the RNC and wow does Christian music suck.

you just take a popular song and replace baby with Jesus... Faith +1

I wanna make love to you, Jesus. I wanna feel your salvation all over my face!!!!!!

haha LMFAO :D :D :D

Stryper should have sung that!

Mack, I forgot to post this earlier, but I think it's important to note that no one is begrudging her lack of experience, because she never ran for President. What we are begrudging is the lack of judgement displayed by a 72-year-old man with three instances of melanoma choosing an inexperienced Vice-Presidential solely because he seemed to think people with vulvas would vote for people with vulvas even when said person with a vulva has expressed ideas in the past that are contrary to most of those with vulvas.

Im confused. What does any of this have to do with people that have cars made in Sweeden?