Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

2009 Washington Capitals thread

Here are some pics. I was working the penalty box so wasn't allowed to use the camera during the game, these are just warm-up photos.

http://s484.photobucket.com/albums/rr207/a...sRookies001.jpg

Victor Dogvan is a talkative guy in the box (he was in a couple of times)

He said this was his first fight in north america. I told him he done well, he said "really, thanks". Seems like a damn nice kid. So, I'll be rooting for him. Osala also talked a little, carlson too. The rest were more concerned with what was going on on the ice. Carlson and Osala were talking about who hit him (happened in front of the other box). Carlson said he knows about him, he is a punk. Osala was pissed, he felt he was blindsided, jumped by the guy, so never really had a chance.

I had a blast, and many thanks must go to the big stir for affording me the opportunity to work the box. All the caps who passed through the box were good guys, and they all played hard, so things are looking good for the future.

Also, I scored a sweet shaft that was broke. It broke right at the fusepoint so it's pretty much the full shaft. Just need to pull out the remains of the blade, and put in a blade of my own, nice (or, may be open to trade offers, pro-stock One90).

Beers in the morning, hockey in the afternoon, and I'm having a beer again now. Pretty good day :lol:

Sounds like you had a blast there....

Although, for the record, and from a non-partisan observer...

The guy that dropped Carlson was John Kalinski. He isn't necessarily a 'punk' at all, he is a feisty plugger from NCAA hockey, Minnesota State I believe. He's a really good kid. Carlson shouldn't have tried to be a hero. Kalinski dropped him after 1 or 2 punches.

I didn't think Osala was blindsided either. The guy that went after Osala was Zac Rinaldo, another agitator, a rookie from the Mississaugua St Michaels Majors. Rinaldo is much smaller than Osala, so I was surprised to see the ease in which Zac handled him. Did Rinaldo instigate? Probably. He is a very feisty agitator-type, in the mold of Tucker, Avery, etc.

The guy who fought Dovgan was Josh Beaulieu.

I thought the penalties were a little lopsided. The Caps had 10 minutes of PP time in the first period alone.

Last, I think it was mentioned the Caps had between 3 and 6 first rounders playing today. The Flyers only had 1, Luca Sbisa, their first round pick from this past draft.

No Claude Giroux, no Steve Downie, and No Ryan Parent playing.

The game itself was fun to watch. That Kettler facility is really nice.

Sounds like you had a blast there....

Although, for the record, and from a non-partisan observer...

The guy that dropped Carlson was John Kalinski. He isn't necessarily a 'punk' at all, he is a feisty plugger from NCAA hockey, Minnesota State I believe. Carlson shouldn't have tried to be a hero. Kalinski dropped him after 1 or 2 punches.

I should have made it clearer, I meant, Carlson was telling Osala that the guy who went after him was a punk, not the guy who dropped Carlson.

Carlson went down pretty easily, I agree.

DC ready to literally Rock the Red this season

Caps shot the opening video for the jumbotron last night, at Falls Church state theater. The caps players were the band, rocking out on stage, and season ticket holders were invited to be the crowd. Here is the story and some video.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...?urn=nhl,109848

For those who saw the "Caps Cribs" last season with Laich and Green, it looks like the "baby blue sound crew" is ready to tour....or not!!!!

haha i was just about to post that link! the boys look great and ready to go, c-a-p-s CAPSCAPSCAPS

Ovie vocals, Green on drums, Theodore guitar and Laich bass. Brashear and Bradley were stage security, Captain Chris Clark played the role of the band's manager

So, for anyone who gives a crap, I thought this was a really really cool gesture. Gaetan Duchesne was a caps 8th round draft pick in 1981. Last year he played in an alumni game, and died of a heart attack about 2 weeks later.

He made the team as an 8th rounder out of camp.

So, to honor the man, and to show the prospects and rookies that if they put in the work, they can make the team, the 3 practice squads scrimmaged after training camp for the first 3 days.

Today, Team B beat out Ovie's group for the inaugural Duchesne Memorial cup.

Fedorov lifted the cup, and said it was a great idea, here is a video of the presentation and post game...

Also good to see it's the caps coach who is winning early, and keeping the camp motivated. I've been down to rookie and main camp, as well as the flyers/caps rookie game, and they are a tight team. With boudreau behind the bench this year, the caps should hopefully improve on a damn good turnaround from last year.

http://capitals.nhl.tv/team/console?type=f...d=849&tab=1

And here is the blurb from Tarik at the post about it...

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capitalsinsider/

Posted at 2:30 PM ET, 09/20/2008

The Gaetan Duchesne Cup

In an effort to spice up this week's intra-squad scrimmages (and have a little fun), Coach Bruce Boudreau has created a three team tournament in which each squad will play twice. The award will be the Gaeten Duchesne Cup, named after the former Capitals winger who died suddenly last year from a heart attack.

Team A will be coached by Dean Evason and Blaine Forsythe, whose lineup is highlighted by Alex Ovechkin, Nicklas Backstrom, Viktor Kozlov, Tom Poti and Simeon Varlamov.

Team B will be coached by Boudreau and Bob Woods, who's got Sergei Fedorov, Alexander Semin, Brooks Laich and Jose Theodore.

Team C, meantime, will be coached by Jay Leach and Mark French and it features Michael Nylander, Chris Clark, Mike Green, Francois Bouchard, Mathieu Perrealt, Karl Alzner and Brent Johnson.

"Gaetan was an eighth round draft choice and made the team. The epitomy of training camp is about the guys trying their [butts] off to make the team," Boudreau said. "What better guy could we have than Gaetan?"

Boudreau also pointed out that Evason and Forsythe won the right (in a game of rock, paper scissors) to pick first and they took Team A. (No brainer, right?)

If all three teams go 1-1, the tiebreaker will be goal differential

Caps backups beat a canes team with a lot more starters last night 4-1. Matt Bradley was named captain for the game as all the regular C/A's were sitting.

Fleischman got 2 goals, Bradley got 1 and Perrault got 1.

Bradley, ever the quote machine said after the game...

“My record [as captain] speaks for itself,” Bradley joked. “The guys were ready to go. I just basically went out there and do what I do - I got the game-winner.”

:lol:

Caps canes tonight again, this time in the Verizon center, where I expect the canes to sit more starters and the caps to play more of theirs. Isn't that what they usually do in pre-season, play the big name players at the home games, and give the guys fighting for spots the time on the road?

only 500?! I know DC isn't a "hockey city" but do they really think we don't like the caps that much that only 500 people will watch Caps instead of The Office?

It's assigned bandwidths from the nhl apparently. They were talking about it on the caps report yesterday, nhl trying to push more online content, hence the change to the "capslive365" or "senslive365" etc.

It should increase when they get it fully running, but still new for now

Caps make the first round of big cuts (the 6 released a couple of days ago were expected...)

From Corey:http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/in-the-room/2008/Sep/26/cuts-are-official/

Here's the list: Greg Amadio, Dean Arsene, Jay Beagle, Francois Bouchard, Sean Collins, Viktor Dovgan, Michael Dubuc, Alexandre Giroux, Bryan Helmer, Maxime Lacroix, Tommy Maxwell, Patrick McNeil, Graham Mink, Travis Morin, Michal Neuvirth, Oskar Osala, Steve Pinizzotto, Sasha Pakulok, Darren Reid and Kyle Wilson

Thoughts:

*The headliner is Neuvurth, so it may be safe to place him behind Simeon Varlamov and Daren Machesney (although Cheese not getting much action last night might be a plausible reason for keeping him over Neuvirth).

*Mathieu Perreault stays and Francois Bouchard goes, so the French Canadian kids get split up (though they were split up the last two nights anyway).

*John Carlson is still around, but he wasn't going to Hershey anyway. He'll go back to London eventually.

*Oskar Osala was one of the stars of rookie camp, but he struggled to stand out much once real camp started. He was going to need some time in Hershey anyway, and he'll be one to watch with the Bears.

*Among the guys who got to stick around are Andrew Gordon, Andrew Joudrey, Josh Godfrey and Tyler Sloan (but more guys could also be on their way to Hershey at any point).

seen on Tarik's Capitals' Insider, a look at the rookie game through the eyes and ears of Josh Godfrey, great little video you guys should check it out

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalsi...y.html#comments

hahaha anyone hear the linesmen after the fight? "Im ready to go. Who wants to fight a part time linesmen after the game?"

hahaha anyone hear the linesmen after the fight? "Im ready to go. Who wants to fight a part time linesmen after the game?"

Haha so funny, epic sound-bites right there.

A sign of the future...

Alex Ovechkin sported the captain’s “C” for Washington in New Jersey on Monday. Leave it to him to have the Shorthanded GWG that game too!

An interesting stat I came across on nhl.com...

Jose Theodore, Capitals -- Theodore comes to Washington after reviving his career with a solid season in Colorado, a performance that included a 6-1 record and a .786 save percentage in shootouts. Though he saw limited duty in the two previous seasons for the Avs, Theodore has a 9-2 career mark and a save percentage of .825, the highest among goaltenders likely to be on NHL rosters at the start of the season.

Caps have returned Tyler Sloan, Sami Lepisto, Grant McNeill and Simeon Varlamov to hershey, leaving 7 D-men on the roster (including Alzner).

They are also playing Fedorov on D tonight, just so he gets a feel for how the D play, in case they ever get a couple injured during a game. They are only carrying 7 d-men on the roster this year, they normally carried 8.

So, the lineup for tonights game against the flyers is this...

Forwards

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Bourque

Fleischmann-Nylander Clark

Laich-Steckel-Fehr

Brashear-Beagle-Gordon

Defenseman

Morrisonn-Green

Fedorov-Schultz

Alzner-Poti

I've got a great weekend of hockey lined up personally.

Going to the caps game tonight

Got my charity hockey game tomorrow night

Going to the Caps/Bruins Sunday at 5pm

Got my league game Sunday night at 9.40pm

Ahhh, hockey season, tis back!!!!

I've got a great weekend of hockey lined up personally.

Going to the caps game tonight

Got my charity hockey game tomorrow night

Going to the Caps/Bruins Sunday at 5pm

Got my league game Sunday night at 9.40pm

Ahhh, hockey season, tis back!!!!

I was at the Philly game as well, and I'll be at the Bruins tonight. Hope to cross your path!