Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

glovesave43

2008-09 Goalie Gear Sightings

I love the vintage look gear. Just the other day I said to one of my students how I'd love to have my next set be in the "vintage" fashion. Wonder what the up charge would be?

Depends... Bauer's upcharge is 0, but they may not have the material. Battram has some really nice stuff (much higher-grade and more leather-like stuff than Bucky or chocolate Jenpro) and his prices are fixed and published for it; Vortek has real leather, but no idea how much. Sherwood has a ton of the less-desirable Bucky... there have been full sets of vintage 9990s at retail for a while now, at least in Toronto. RBK rarely bothers with graphics, period - if they can be bothered to do anything that's asked.

Depends... Bauer's upcharge is 0, but they may not have the material. Battram has some really nice stuff (much higher-grade and more leather-like stuff than Bucky or chocolate Jenpro) and his prices are fixed and published for it; Vortek has real leather, but no idea how much. Sherwood has a ton of the less-desirable Bucky... there have been full sets of vintage 9990s at retail for a while now, at least in Toronto. RBK rarely bothers with graphics, period - if they can be bothered to do anything that's asked.

All brands I would never consider lol :P

TPS can do it - or at least used to be able to do it. Marz had vintage pads back in the day, I believe Bionics.

TPS made Harding a Vintage Summit set last year, I think - and I have seen a couple of custom sets in person, thinking back. They'd seem to be a good bet.

And I recall now that Vaughn definitely has some, or can get some - they made Price a set for this season.

Really, the thing to ask is which 'retro' material they're using. If it's Bucky (has kind of a 'fuzzy' feel to it), it wears like crap and sticks to ice like Cordura, so you need Jenpro on the inside gusset and knee/calf surfaces at least. Chocolate Brown Jenpro is pretty dark, but looks good; the only other option there is the 'baby-vomit Brown' stuff, or the equally awful Mustard. Those are all Ennis colours, I believe.

Given that the look has been getting more popular, I wouldn't be surprised if there were more sources. The original run of Bucky was supposedly because of the production of 'Miracle'.

Look for Garon to have a classic Fuhr look on Sunday like this http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Detail.a...0&id=224010

And Garon and Rolies alternative lids.

http://oilers.nhl.com/team/app/?service=pa...;galleryId=7536

This should have read, Roloson will have a classice Fuhr look, you have to click to approx pic 24

http://oilers.nhl.com/team/app/?service=pa...;galleryId=7520

Nice set up, Fuhr's 80's equipment was and still is my favorite gear. Part of the reason I fell in love with being a goalie.

The Blacked out sticks are most likely Last Years' Montreal Sticks....since MTL's acquistion by Warrior, and the new Warrior branded paddles not quite available, they can't have the MTL logo so they gotta black em out till the new ones come in.

why do only some goalies have the warrior stick while others don't?

They probably get 15-20 shipped to them at a time, with custom specs and colors. It takes more than a day to make sticks. IIRC all goalie equipment needs to go through Toronto for approval, though I'm not sure if sticks are also subject to this.

Also, Warrior is based out of Michigan. Makes sense that Howard would get some first, they could just drive over and hand them to him.

Warrior is also dealing with finnicky pros. Some batches will get rejected and need to be redone, or the goalie will want to use up the last of what they've got in games while adjusting in practice if the new sticks feel different in any miniscule way, including how the look in the peripheral from color changes (not that it's the case, but never put it past a goalie to be overly picky).