Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

Is that just in the US? As it is not the case here in Canada? Would that also go for working on a farm? (Kind of curious and sorry off topic.)

Typically there's an exemption for kids under 18 working on a family farm.

I think it's related to the machinery. They've gone so far left in this country, kids under 18 can't even operate a tomato slicer if they work at a restaurant.

So it is a political issue and not a litigious one. Seriously?

I was curious and looked it up for here to confirm. You could start in a pro shop at 14 but can't shapren till you 15. However you can work on a farm at any age. (even more so of course if it is family).

Sorry for going off topic but thought it is interesting. Maybe its own thread?

I use an HDI skate gauge and it measures the level and depth to .001 of an inch which is pretty accurate.

In terms even edges for FBV...anyone have experience on what is an acceptable range to be considered? (+/- .001)?

It's the bottom on mini-spinners. So the open bearing part meets the drag cap.

It's the opposite on the standard machines.

I was told by Blackstone that the spinner spec should be showing when placed into the spinner compartment. Wouldn't that make the spec side the side meeting the drag cap?

I use an HDI skate gauge and it measures the level and depth to .001 of an inch which is pretty accurate.

In terms even edges for FBV...anyone have experience on what is an acceptable range to be considered? (+/- .001)?

Blackstone told me as long as you're within one notch on both sides (BatGauge), that should be pretty close to even. Each notch is representative of one thousandth of an inch.

I was told by Blackstone that the spinner spec should be showing when placed into the spinner compartment. Wouldn't that make the spec side the side meeting the drag cap?

Blackstone told me as long as you're within one notch on both sides (BatGauge), that should be pretty close to even. Each notch is representative of one thousandth of an inch.

On a standard or mini?

I remember with the mini, any way worked for some strange reason.

On a standard or mini?

I remember with the mini, any way worked for some strange reason.

on the mini, they said spec showing when in compartment. however, I too agree, it doesn't seem like it would matter if it was either way since the mechanism seems to be symmetrical in nature.

Anyone use the new ButterflyGage? The BatGage is kinda finicky, but I've figured out how to use it to get good results. Wondering if the ButterflyGage is that much better to be worth the extra $125.

I think that the Batgage ,if used in the correct way, is as good or bad as the Butterflygage. For the use of the Batgage it is important that you press the left side of the aluminium corpus completely flat against the blade. The blade should not touch the bottom of the slot and you should move the black pointer to be shure that it has a good contact with both edges.

Last week one of my boys got new skates. They had been sharpened by one of the best sharpeners around here with a "player ROH". At home i made a measurement with the Batgage and on both Skates there was a difference of two notches. When i sharpen the skates of my sons i reach a difference smaller than one notch.

I think that the Batgage ,if used in the correct way, is as good or bad as the Butterflygage. For the use of the Batgage it is important that you press the left side of the aluminium corpus completely flat against the blade. The blade should not touch the bottom of the slot and you should move the black pointer to be shure that it has a good contact with both edges.

Last week one of my boys got new skates. They had been sharpened by one of the best sharpeners around here with a "player ROH". At home i made a measurement with the Batgage and on both Skates there was a difference of two notches. When i sharpen the skates of my sons i reach a difference smaller than one notch.

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like it's not worth it to get the new gauge since I can get the Batgage to work with good results. I too find that you must make sure that the left side of the gauge is completely flat against the blade. I also make sure to check that there are no fibers (after I wipe finishing oil off with a rag) or any burrs, hairs, etc on the blade, as those foreign materials could throw off the gauge significantly.

Can confirm, have used my mini-spinners both ways. Seems to be no ill effect either way. Not sure what gives, if anything.

Zach

Seems that the marking on my stone is higher when the numbers are down. Approximately 6 clicks up on my holder. Going to try the numbers up again and see where the mark is. Whatever makes the marking on the stone more centered will determine which way I will put my spinner for the rest of my sharpening machines life.

• Like 1

Seems that the marking on my stone is higher when the numbers are down. Approximately 6 clicks up on my holder. Going to try the numbers up again and see where the mark is. Whatever makes the marking on the stone more centered will determine which way I will put my spinner for the rest of my sharpening machines life.

This is what I found as well. I have changed to numbers up because it seems best centered there.

Does anyone know where to find the "FBV-ROH comparison-" and the "FBV Tech Specs-Documents" on Blackstones new Homepage ?

Are there Informations about the specs of the A-Trap-Spinners and will they be available for the X-Series-Sharpener ?

Martin

Edited by hockeydad3

I'm sure too many to list. A guy at Blackstone told me that 26 of the teams currently have the equipment to do FBV. He went further to say that he thinks that there are people on the few teams where the EQM doesn't do it that are getting it through other means.

I'm sure too many to list. A guy at Blackstone told me that 26 of the teams currently have the equipment to do FBV. He went further to say that he thinks that there are people on the few teams where the EQM doesn't do it that are getting it through other means.

Although I agree with the first part that most teams have the ability to do it as some players like it and have come from teams that use it. I know that the Islanders most guys use it there just because of working with some of the players. Now your second part I highly doubt unless it is this same team, (as just mentioned) as Doug Weights father does some skates for those guys and the trainers know him. I doubt any players are having blades shipped out for sharpening to many legal issues unless the trainer is doing it himself shipping to get that done.

Although I agree with the first part that most teams have the ability to do it as some players like it and have come from teams that use it. I know that the Islanders most guys use it there just because of working with some of the players. Now your second part I highly doubt unless it is this same team, (as just mentioned) as Doug Weights father does some skates for those guys and the trainers know him. I doubt any players are having blades shipped out for sharpening to many legal issues unless the trainer is doing it himself shipping to get that done.

He didn't get specific about how he believed they were getting them done. I would also doubt that they are having them shipped out as well as I would doubt that they are going to their local LHS. However, if I were making a million dollars a year based in part on my skating and I couldn't get my skates sharpened the way that I wanted, the price of a portable (or even to some extent a full size machine) wouldn't even be a consideration. Hell, I'm NOT making a million dollars a year and I bought a portable. I remember seeing a picture on MSH of a pro doing his skates on a portable during the last lockout, so I don't think it is south of possible that it could happen.

He didn't get specific about how he believed they were getting them done. I would also doubt that they are having them shipped out as well as I would doubt that they are going to their local LHS. However, if I were making a million dollars a year based in part on my skating and I couldn't get my skates sharpened the way that I wanted, the price of a portable (or even to some extent a full size machine) wouldn't even be a consideration. Hell, I'm NOT making a million dollars a year and I bought a portable. I remember seeing a picture on MSH of a pro doing his skates on a portable during the last lockout, so I don't think it is south of possible that it could happen.

I think that was Matt Cooke? Jordan Leopold also uses it I believe. I don't think FBV will be revolutionizing the market until it becomes easily accessible everywhere, and it needs to start with young kids. Hockey players (athletes in general) are creatures of habit, and FBV (which I believe is superior to ROH) is not enough of a performance jump IMHO for people to change from what they've always known and are comfortable with for years (NHL pros, etc).

I will say this. I sharpen with FBV, and the other night I lost an edge. Had to get an emergency sharpening at the rink, and of course, they only have ROH. Well, got it done, and man, ROH felt sluggish. Couldn't wait to sharpen back to FBV.

I know a case that was confirmed from two personal sources that a high profile NHLer was taking his skates at a local store to get FBV because his EQM didn't believe in it.

Yes, that pro was Cooke. He got a portable and sharpened for his teammates during the lockout.

David Perron also bought one for summer use.

I know a case that was confirmed from two personal sources that a high profile NHLer was taking his skates at a local store to get FBV because his EQM didn't believe in it.

Yes, that pro was Cooke. He got a portable and sharpened for his teammates during the lockout.

David Perron also bought one for summer use.

Hey I am not saying it wouldn't happen, I have done skates for guys. But I was also informed in a couple cases that the trainer put them back the way he wanted them regardless of what had been done and how much the player liked them. Ces la vie ( I think thats how its goes?)...LOL

I know of Cooke doing that as well but that was during the lockout. If guys do their own that is different. I know of a 3 time stanley cup champion that brought a guy to his hotel room to do skates during his last cup run. Owner found out and made him bring the guy in and ended up paying his as a "consultant". The guy even ended up getting a ring after they won. And he did about 3 or 4 guys skates on the team because they were not happy with the main guy. But these are all few and far between. Most show trainers will do what the guy asks for.

If they don't and the player is a high profile guy he won't have a job very long. As far as FBV goes I was one of the first on it after Cory Stillman in Florida and before you guys got to try it in I think it was Detroit that year. I personally really like it however not really skating anymore due to concussions I have not been able to try some of the newer cuts. I think I am going to try and get back on the ice soon even if just for some stick and puck. (Helmet Strap nice and tight)!

Hello all. I seem to be having a problem with my xo2. It is always on the inside edge of the right skate and the outside edge of the left skate. I put the skates in the same way all the time and it happens to just about all the skates. There is a spot on the blade about 3 inches that doesn't get the same edge as the rest of the skate. If I do the nail drag against the blade the whole blade is sharp except for that spot. It is not just my skates ,but other skates also. I am leaning towards it being something with the holder. I have the older style holder.

Any one have any ideas or ways to fix it.

Thanks...

Dave