Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

Advanced issues found

On 11/2/2019 at 3:02 AM, mnpucker said:

Coming up on my 10th year with the X02, pretty sure if these were serialized I am between 1-10.  My boy was 10 when I got it, now a freshman in college, time flies.   100/50 has suited us all fine over the years.  His new home ice is very hard, 100/50 does not seem to give him enough bite anymore.  I need to figure out the right FBV quick, season is started.   I am considering 100/75 but wanted to get some opinions. Any thoughts on where to go to get more bite without sacrificing too much glide?

The $40 shipping cost for small order is ridiculous, I haven't read every page of this thread so I am sure that is old news.

He also has black edge steel.  I see mention of leather homes and the black rubber hone by Blackstone, any input?  been using leather but I am not sure if it is working.  I kind of feel the lack of edge may be because I am not using a stone anymore.  I may have to order more stuff just to get to the $150 free shipping and that rubber hone might get me there if it will be effective, cAn anyone comment on the effedtisvemess of the rubber hone?

I continue to tell people the purchase of this sharpener was the single most meaningful purchase I have made.  The benefits are many and the quality and convenience of sharpening are at the top.

I bought the Black Magic recently and quite impressed with that. Used leather strap before. It is easier to use and it seems does the job better. However, the difference is not that huge - so if you are happy with the leather - then let it be.

Regarding the 100/50 spinner beats me up,tbh. It is very hollow anyway (3/8). I believe you know what you are doing after 10 years but still...May be the spinner has worn out? May be not enough passes? 

Anybody had any chance of trying to sharpen the new Ls5 blades with the X02 using the usual ruby and orange wheels? Its similar to the carbon based blackedge blade  that i tried to sharpen a couple years ago but for some reason it wouldnt hold its edge more than 1 game.    Maybe its because i mostly play outdoors and maybe carbon doesnt hold that kind of surface

How many pairs of skates are you guys getting per wheel (ruby if that matters) and how many wheels per spinner? Trying to roughly price out the future of this thing. Thanks!

19 hours ago, lpgbackups said:

Anybody had any chance of trying to sharpen the new Ls5 blades with the X02 using the usual ruby and orange wheels? Its similar to the carbon based blackedge blade  that i tried to sharpen a couple years ago but for some reason it wouldnt hold its edge more than 1 game.    Maybe its because i mostly play outdoors and maybe carbon doesnt hold that kind of surface

I have. No issues. 

Once a week we are the last team on ice on our outdoor rink at 9pm. We don't get fresh ice and it is quite hard. On fresh ice a 92/75 FBV is good for me. Could a xx/50 or a xx/1 FBV be better for heavily used ice? 

Edited by hockeydad3

One week and 4 skates later: I gave the 100/50 a try. I didn't think that there would be souch a big difference. Compared to the 92/75 there is a huge improvement in glide and speed. The bite for turning is good. I´m more agile and can make tighter turns. But i definitely lost lateral and longitudenal stability and acceleration (more noticeable on bad ice). I skate on a 11´ radius and I´m  225lbs and 5´7". Any suggestions for the same glide and better stability? Or could i adjust to the new FBV over time. Did anyone of you make the same experience?

Edited by hockeydad3

So I went a little nuts. Just need to add a little PVC pipe getup for dust collection and she's done. I take it to the local rink and sharpen so I needed a mobile option.

gOZbL1zh.jpg

qlbftgGh.jpg 

G6kO9k6h.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kr580 said:

So I went a little nuts. Just need to add a little PVC pipe getup for dust collection and she's done. I take it to the local rink and sharpen so I needed a mobile option.

gOZbL1zh.jpg

qlbftgGh.jpg 

G6kO9k6h.jpg

Looks nice. Could be that you get problems with vibrations. I used to have some caused by a wobbling Podest. 

@ all of you:  100/50 FBV seems to have the strongest bite for the best glide available. How long did it take to adjust to it if you like it? If you don't like it, could you tell me the reason why? 

On 11/1/2019 at 11:02 PM, mnpucker said:

Coming up on my 10th year with the X02, pretty sure if these were serialized I am between 1-10.  My boy was 10 when I got it, now a freshman in college, time flies.   100/50 has suited us all fine over the years.  His new home ice is very hard, 100/50 does not seem to give him enough bite anymore.  I need to figure out the right FBV quick, season is started.   I am considering 100/75 but wanted to get some opinions. Any thoughts on where to go to get more bite without sacrificing too much glide?

The $40 shipping cost for small order is ridiculous, I haven't read every page of this thread so I am sure that is old news.

He also has black edge steel.  I see mention of leather homes and the black rubber hone by Blackstone, any input?  been using leather but I am not sure if it is working.  I kind of feel the lack of edge may be because I am not using a stone anymore.  I may have to order more stuff just to get to the $150 free shipping and that rubber hone might get me there if it will be effective, cAn anyone comment on the effedtisvemess of the rubber hone?

I continue to tell people the purchase of this sharpener was the single most meaningful purchase I have made.  The benefits are many and the quality and convenience of sharpening are at the top.

95/100 or 90/100 are the two to try in this case. Might be worth finding out what regular ROH feels best on the college ice first.

5 hours ago, hockeydad3 said:

Looks nice. Could be that you get problems with vibrations. I used to have some caused by a wobbling Podest. 

Thank you. Yeah, that's my one concern. I can just plop the sharpening box onto a counter somewhere if that happens. The tires are mostly to wheel it from my car to the building as it's heavy as crap.

4 hours ago, chiefs17 said:

Awesome job kr580!  How do your spinners stay in the lid when you close it?  I can't tell by the pics.

Thank you. I used 1/4" wood dowel and just pressure fitted the spinners on to them. We'll see if they hold up or if the posts get skinny over time and I have to figure something else out.

Edited by kr580

On 10/31/2019 at 11:20 AM, dravenass said:

Hi,

does anyone have any spinners or wheels for an x01 they don’t want or need anymore?  If so please lmk.  I just bought a used one and could use some accessories since.  Thanks!

Message sent.

On 12/17/2019 at 3:26 AM, hockeydad3 said:

You're a psychic. Anyone have smart ideas for a small footprint that will be stable enough to not cause vibrations? I'm having trouble getting this thing to not chatter unless I clamp it down to something that's 300lbs+. So far the only thing that hasn't given me chatter is clamping to my table saw's top. Maybe there's some dampening layer that would help? Thanks.

I know this thread is about Flat-Bottom V but there seems to be a lot of X02 owners in here.  I just recently picked one up second hand and I have a couple of questions.  I have been sharpening on a double head unit blade master with the blade master spinner system for the last 5 or so years so I am not new to sharpening just to Blackstone and the X02.

1- When installing the mini spinner which side is up and which side is down?   This is what the manual says "1) Slip the internal bearing in the mini spinner over the spinner screw until it contacts the spinner screw knob. Be certain to install the mini spinner so that the snap ring inside the mini spinner is visible; when the spinner screw is viewed from the threaded end." but I still don't know which side has the snap ring.  Is it the side that has the hollow etched in it or not?  Basically which side do I put down towards the ground when installing the etched hallow side or the other side?

2- do any of you put anything like wax on the table for a better glide?  Mine is in really good shape for it being second hand.  I just never had to maintain the sharpener where I worked.  I just kind of showed up and did my thing.

3- there was a third but I can't think of it right now.  Any other tips you X02 owners have for me?  That would be awesome.

2 hours ago, strosedefence34 said:

I know this thread is about Flat-Bottom V but there seems to be a lot of X02 owners in here.  I just recently picked one up second hand and I have a couple of questions.  I have been sharpening on a double head unit blade master with the blade master spinner system for the last 5 or so years so I am not new to sharpening just to Blackstone and the X02.

1- When installing the mini spinner which side is up and which side is down?   This is what the manual says "1) Slip the internal bearing in the mini spinner over the spinner screw until it contacts the spinner screw knob. Be certain to install the mini spinner so that the snap ring inside the mini spinner is visible; when the spinner screw is viewed from the threaded end." but I still don't know which side has the snap ring.  Is it the side that has the hollow etched in it or not?  Basically which side do I put down towards the ground when installing the etched hallow side or the other side?

2- do any of you put anything like wax on the table for a better glide?  Mine is in really good shape for it being second hand.  I just never had to maintain the sharpener where I worked.  I just kind of showed up and did my thing.

3- there was a third but I can't think of it right now.  Any other tips you X02 owners have for me?  That would be awesome.

1.Number side up

2. Yes, I use spray on car wax- it's quick and easy .

7 hours ago, strosedefence34 said:

1 - Number side up.  Confirmed to me by a Blackstone rep.

2 - Blackstone makes a product called Tef Top.  It works well, but I imagine any sort of spray/liquid lubricant would work well.  You can also change out the felt pad with a new one on the tri-lie holder.

3 - In order to help get your tri-lie perpendicular to the sharpening wheel, you can take an edge gauge (that's magnetic) and slap it onto the holder, and do a visual check.  Then you do micro adjustments to get level edges.  I find this helps me immensely in getting even edges quicker, without as many test "taps".  

12 hours ago, Monty22 said:

1.Number side up

2. Yes, I use spray on car wax- it's quick and easy .

7 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

1 - Number side up.  Confirmed to me by a Blackstone rep.

2 - Blackstone makes a product called Tef Top.  It works well, but I imagine any sort of spray/liquid lubricant would work well.  You can also change out the felt pad with a new one on the tri-lie holder.

3 - In order to help get your tri-lie perpendicular to the sharpening wheel, you can take an edge gauge (that's magnetic) and slap it onto the holder, and do a visual check.  Then you do micro adjustments to get level edges.  I find this helps me immensely in getting even edges quicker, without as many test "taps".  

Thanks for the responses this will help.  I remembered my other question new steel.  What do you guys do about that?  Since I can't cross grind it.  Do you have the shop you buy it from cross grind it but don't sharpen?  Have them sharpen? or do you just sharpen it and take a bunch of passes?

4 hours ago, strosedefence34 said:

Thanks for the responses this will help.  I remembered my other question new steel.  What do you guys do about that?  Since I can't cross grind it.  Do you have the shop you buy it from cross grind it but don't sharpen?  Have them sharpen? or do you just sharpen it and take a bunch of passes?

You can sharpen the raw steel by making a whole bunch of passes on the initial sharpening.  How many passes you need to sharpen depends on the quality of steel.  However, in the interest of saving wheels, I have typically in the past, let the LHS sharpen the skates first to establish some type of edge, whether ROH or FBV, and then I sharpen on top of that to get the FBV edge I desire.

(full disclosure: I use a Sparx now, but I sharpened for a bunch of years with a Blackstone)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

You can sharpen the raw steel by making a whole bunch of passes on the initial sharpening.  How many passes you need to sharpen depends on the quality of steel.  However, in the interest of saving wheels, I have typically in the past, let the LHS sharpen the skates first to establish some type of edge, whether ROH or FBV, and then I sharpen on top of that to get the FBV edge I desire.

(full disclosure: I use a Sparx now, but I sharpened for a bunch of years with a Blackstone)

Yeah, I am thinking that may be the best corse of action having the shop do the first sharpening or just using an old wheel until I establish some sort of an edge.  Chances are I am either going to buy steel from the shop I worked for or from JR to support MSH so I trust them to do the first sharpening.