Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

As far as I know yeah, never skated on FBV before so I couldn't be sure.

Skating backwards and forwards was great, it just felt that turning was a lot more responsive, but I was losing a lot of momentum than before. Is that expected with FBV?

If anything you should have had more momentum. To find out if that shop does the real FBV and that they weren't lying to you, go to flatbottomV.com, and select the find a dealer tab. It will tell you who does them. If they are not on the list, you likely didn't get a FBV.

Sorry I should have clarified that a bit further - losing momentum in turning, straight line was an improvement.

To find out if that shop does the real FBV and that they weren't lying to you, go to flatbottomV.com, and select the find a dealer tab. It will tell you who does them. If they are not on the list, you likely didn't get a FBV.

Just had a look now, I had them sharpened by the only dealer listed in my country.

Sounds like you need to try out an FBV with a little less bite. The end result is worth it.

Zach

Thanks Zach - that confirms my suspicions.

I'm skating on them again for the 2nd time tonight, going to see if it's just an adjustment period I need (or if it was because the ice was shocking last week - corrugated in spots).

Edited by stuie7

It was better last night, I think I'm starting to get used to it.

It's interesting what you said about soft ice, it was bone dry because the ice was 'dry cut' before we got on but it's been consistently 25oc here for the past month or so (which is unusually warm) and for the past few weeks there has been a constant haze above the ice. It didn't feel terribly soft, but I assume the external weather conditions will have been playing their part.

I was skeptical at first, having tried it as last Winterfest, it didnt entirely sell me. something just felt very different, but in the end, I just dont think i was comfortable with it. I tried it again at summer jam, and noticed although it had been some time since I last skated, my legs werent as sore as I was sure they were going to be the next day. Since then the rest of this summer I spent exclusively on it, and now that I am used to it, I definitely notice advantages, mostly in the amount of effort i need, but also I feel I can turn a lot better. The only negetive I notice is that it seems like my edges nick up easier with this style, but I am in the process of acquiring a good honing stone to help with this.

I came in last Tuesday, guy did a great job btw. Unfortunately I'm going to be mostly out that way Sundays so ill only make limited use of my free Tuesday sharpenings. I like the 100 50, might try others in the future :)

Hey guys...just picked up an X-01 and I'm loving it so far.

Only one complaint (and I'm hoping it's just my lack of experience). It seems like the only way I can get a good edge on my skates is if I dress the wheel before sharpening each skate. I had thought you only needed to dress the wheel one every few pairs, but if I do that, I basically get a flat blade.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here? I probably can't keep this routine up because I'm already halfway done my first grinding wheel after a month!

Thx!

I usually dress the wheel for every because I use the fine shine oil skate but it doesn't take much off the wheel at all. I've done well over a hundred pair on one wheel.

I have an x-01 and usually dress the wheel for each pair (sometimes do each skate on my Makos because the steel is a little harder). I'm still on my first wheel after a year, though. I sharpen 3 pairs of skates every 2 games, so I'm probably over 100 sharpenings already. Maybe you're taking too much material off when you redress?

For anyone that was interested, skated on these for the 4th time on Saturday and they felt a lot better. The ice was actually half-decent for once, felt a lot quicker in a straight line and turning was massively improved. Not sure if I can put it all down to the ice, maybe it just took a little time to adjust. Regardless, really starting to come around to FBV.

I have an x-01 and usually dress the wheel for each pair (sometimes do each skate on my Makos because the steel is a little harder). I'm still on my first wheel after a year, though. I sharpen 3 pairs of skates every 2 games, so I'm probably over 100 sharpenings already. Maybe you're taking too much material off when you redress?

Maybe you're right. When you dress the wheel, do you just "kiss" it for a split second? Or do you hold for a bit until all the black marks disappear from the grinding wheel?

If I'm leaving the fbv/radius the same, i'll just kiss the wheel to keep it fresh and smooth. If I'm going to a different fbv or radius I'll keep going until the black starts to fade.

This

If I'm leaving the fbv/radius the same, i'll just kiss the wheel to keep it fresh and smooth. If I'm going to a different fbv or radius I'll keep going until the black starts to fade.

Same.

This

Same.

Awesome, thanks guys! I'll try this out and see how it goes.

My 9 year old son tried the 100/50 and likes the cut with the grip, but would like to try something with a little more edge.

Should I try the 100/75 or the 95-1?

At 9yo, assuming he's not too heavy the 100/75 would should be fine. While the chart says 95/1 is equiv to 7/16 hollow, it's not really exact and in real life use it is is not too far off from the 100/75, so similar.

My 9 year old son tried the 100/50 and likes the cut with the grip, but would like to try something with a little more edge.

Should I try the 100/75 or the 95-1?

I would suggest 95/75 100/75 would be a very big jump.

What's the best way to clean X02 FBV spinner?

I dressed the stone, did 2 passes OK and third one while going half way smooth then suddenly rough up the edge.

I had to redress the stone like few times to make it run smooth again. I used Lube Tube before on final passes. Maybe its residue clogged up the spinner?

Seems like it's not dressing well after couple of touches. I only dressed it like 20-25 times I think for the life time of the spinner. BS stone not sticking much..

Any advise? Thanks

I use a stiff bristled brush with just enough force to remove debris without removing the diamond coating. Also make sure that the spinner turns freely when it is dressing the wheel. If you use a lubricating product for the final pass, make sure the wheel gets cleaned up from time to time as well. It doesn't sharpen as well when it is all gunked up.