Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

Perfect, what a simple system. The video answered all my questions but now I have one more. I noticed the residue from dressing the stone blows out the back tube and also a bit came out of the right side of the motor housing. Suggestions on setting up a vacuum system for home use. This is in my price range but I will not be using it as portable as others might. I basically want to try and keep the area clean.

Thanks a lot.

Perfect, what a simple system. The video answered all my questions but now I have one more. I noticed the residue from dressing the stone blows out the back tube and also a bit came out of the right side of the motor housing. Suggestions on setting up a vacuum system for home use. This is in my price range but I will not be using it as portable as others might. I basically want to try and keep the area clean.

Thanks a lot.

A couple pieces of plastic and a shop vac should work.

OK, here's another question. Can you do goalie skates with this FBV grind? Will it hinder, help, or neither? I have a son that's a goalie, so I'd want to be able to do his skates, along with my player skates, without too much hassle.

Thanks.

I can't comment on the experimentation of FBV on Goalie skates, but changing the spiner and re-dressing the wheel is a snap. Under a minute.... I haven't used the new Blackstone, but I do some other skate work for a USHL team and the trainer has a Blackstone portable spinner. He loves it!

How does the edge hold up on a FBV grind. Most understand a 3/8 edge has thinner side walls than a 1/2, 5/8, etc and isn't as durable because the thickness of the sidewall. Does this effect the FBV as well?

OK, here's another question. Can you do goalie skates with this FBV grind? Will it hinder, help, or neither? I have a son that's a goalie, so I'd want to be able to do his skates, along with my player skates, without too much hassle.

Thanks.

Yes, and it will cut down on how long it takes to sharpen a goal skate (w/ regards to deep hollows)

Can you do figure skates with the FBV grind?

If so, this machine might make sense for me. It cost $6 each for my boy and I to get our skates sharpened and $14 for my daughter to get her figure skates sharpened. I am currently spending around $250-$300/year to have skates sharpened. I could probably save some $$ over the long haul and I think I would enjoy doing their skates.

Generally speaking, how well do these "portable machines" hold value if someone was just using it for their family use......if I used it for say 5 years and took care of it, would the machine have any value?

Thanks.

Yes, and it will cut down on how long it takes to sharpen a goal skate (w/ regards to deep hollows)

JR I took the plunge and ordered 3 different FBV spinners. I tried the middle one tonight and wow...skating from the blue line to the red I was able to coast all the way around to wear I started.

And in talking to Steve after I noticed another thing My knee (arthritis in it) didn't hurt as usual. Although my back was a little sore. After talking we decided you may have to change the center point of the blade as you feel further back after switching the the FBV (don't ask me why). It was also sore because I had more energy from putting out less effort to run the practice and shot a ton more pucks.

I think we have a winner here.

"how long does it last"?

Well I have to say after an hour and 1/2 it still looked like it had not even been skated on.

The whole team is getting there's done now as a trial.

SAK "Mr. Blackstone" do you take trades??? I have two BM portables BRC 2005 one in a case and the other in a shroud.

Its an unwritten rule not to take trade ins on portables. Generally when we get the used portable in it is done.

Thanks.

Yes its pretty cool. The goalie's feel they are faster getting across and have more of a bite when they need their edges.

Can you do figure skates with the FBV grind?

If so, this machine might make sense for me. It cost $6 each for my boy and I to get our skates sharpened and $14 for my daughter to get her figure skates sharpened. I am currently spending around $250-$300/year to have skates sharpened. I could probably save some $$ over the long haul and I think I would enjoy doing their skates.

Generally speaking, how well do these "portable machines" hold value if someone was just using it for their family use......if I used it for say 5 years and took care of it, would the machine have any value?

It works on any skate all you are doing is making the skater have less resistance in the ice. Since the whole mechanics of skating is you are pushing to glide the result with the FBV is that you don't have to push as hard resulting in less fatigue.

I echo some of the earlier comments. I am seriously considering the X01. As someone that has never sharpened skates, I hope Blackstone can provide training materials. Maybe some online videos, DVD with purchase etc.

Any of the shops with Blackstones offering FBV sharpening ? Would love to try out the grind.

Well if your in Canada you would be in luck.......but using the word "grind" (not typical in Canada) I would say your not from Canada and are out of luck.

I put the FBV spinner on the Stealth and sharpened

my own skates this morning and went for a skate

and all I have to say is WOW. I have been sharpening

my own skates for 22 yrs and that is the best they

ever felt.

Were is your store located?

but using the word "grind" (not typical in Canada) I would say your not from Canada and are out of luck.

What's the proper term/typical word to use north of the border?

Sorry...was just joking around I have only ever heard of getting your skates sharpened and in the now "old School method" putting a hollow in the blade.

Of course now with this new method not sure what to call it ..LOL FBV....

Yes, OTG, I am from Canada....just typed the word "grind" off of the top of my head.

Well if you are anywhere near Oakville Ontario you are lucky it is available there.

Where in Oakville? Get around to most of the area due to my son's games.

National Sports on Dorval and QEW. I would suggest you try the 75/100 first if that is to much bite on the edge then try the 95/100

but the glide on the 75/100 is just amazing my kid loves it. I did some of the players from the Oakville AA team Minor Midget I think it was and they all loved it.