Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NoAngleDangler

Eliminating Gloves Smell

I have a pair of team issue gloves that I have to wear for my current team. They smell terrible and make my hands stink for hours after playing. I've had them repalmed and that didn’t seem to help greatly. Any suggestions?

Check your local pet store for charcoal filters for fish. They come in this pouch that is kinda like mesh. This soaks up the smell for me. But buy a couple because they eventually stop working after a while. Doesnt take the stink fully away, but not as noticeable

Bicarbonate of soda... have a little sachet of the stuff and toss it in your gloves...

Another guy told me he threw his gloves in the freezer... the cold kills the bacteria. dont ask me, I dont eat at his place to know whether the smell gets into the stuff thats in the freezer.

I use Febreeze with 99% anti-bacterial (orange nozzle) on my gloves after every game. Never had bad smelling gloves again. Very surprised how well it works and does not deteriorate your gloves.

Bicarbonate of soda... have a little sachet of the stuff and toss it in your gloves...

Another guy told me he threw his gloves in the freezer... the cold kills the bacteria. dont ask me, I dont eat at his place to know whether the smell gets into the stuff thats in the freezer.

Not sure if my mum would agree with the freezer idea, I don't think my odds are looking to good :P

gloves get stiff because the salt from your sweat crystalizes.

another spree answer, try putting your crusty gloves under HOT water (not boiling) and then let them dry out. the salt would go away after a couple tries

I use Febreeze with 99% anti-bacterial (orange nozzle) on my gloves after every game. Never had bad smelling gloves again. Very surprised how well it works and does not deteriorate your gloves.

It's anti-microbial, I use that as well. SPray down my gloves, elbow pads, shoulder pads and pants after every game and let them air dry. You have to prevent bacteria as best you can rather than react when they start to smell.

What has worked for me for all my equipment is to just stand on the ice every shift and try not to move too much else I start sweating. I'm pretty sure it is the sweating that leads to the stink. Everyone on my team hates me but I smell great.:)

MiraZyme is by far the best stuff I've used for my equipment. You only have to soak your gear in it for 10 mintues and then air dry, after that zero smell (I mean nothing at all). You can also mix it and spray it on to. Here is the link MiraZyme

Would Funk Free make glove palms stiff when it dries? Does it change the glove feel at all?

Much less stiff after using funk free and it should make the gloves feel more like they did when they were newer. I'm a big believer in it.

Hockey Hands.. strong minty smell

That stuff is awful

I wash my gloves in the washer. I know people have posted not to do this but I really can't stand stinky gear. I have 2 pairs of glove which I alternate every week. I basically wash each pair once every 2 weeks. Personally, I would rather the gloves not last as long than be stinky. I've done this with Mission M-2s, Vapor XXs, Supreme 70s, and TPS Response? gloves. I haven't had any durability problems with any of the gloves. I air dry the gloves which takes about a day and a half. I guess I could use the dryer but it makes such a loud racket.

Human urine; the ammonia in urine wil kill any bacteria in the gloves. Unfortunately it'll also make your hands smell like piss. Don't believe it works? Ask anyone if they ever urinate in a public shower before they get in without sandals. 99% of the people do as it kills the bacteria in there too.

Sorry if this wasn't a help...

Somehow the urine idea just doesn't seem too feasable. Your facts however are correct.

It has been stated already, but I just want to +1 the Funk Free product. I used it for the first time today and WOW is all I can really say. I have some rank gear and it really doesnt smell anymore. I am a believer.