Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

habsfan87

08-09 Montreal Canadiens Thread

I would love to get seats like that to an NHL game. I want to go to a Habs game this year, but the whole flying halfway across the US and into Canada thing makes it kind of expensive. <_<

I had the same feeling, so I caught them away. Upper bowl seats, but still a great experience.

Higgins moving back to the 2nd (or 1b as I call it) line with Koivu and Tanguay.

Latendresse moves down to the Lang/Sergei Kostitsyn line.

I like this move. Chris looks to have his legs back after missing time with a groin injury and he had good chemistry with Koivu at times last year.

yeah I think this move was only a matter of time. Radio, I also hear Denis is playing really well over there in Hamilton...I know its early but anyone think they would shop Halak?

yeah I think this move was only a matter of time. Radio, I also hear Denis is playing really well over there in Hamilton...I know its early but anyone think they would shop Halak?

Yeah Denis has been awesome...the problem with moving Halak is that Denis has to clear waivers to go up...not sure they'll risk losing him.

I guess it proves how good Rollie is with goalies. He's one of the best if not the best in the league.

Whats going on Kosy, I see a boarding penalty with a game to Kostopolololpolos and 3 goalie interference calls?

:blink:

One of the dirtiest hits from behind I've seen in years from Kostopolos on Van Ryn...cut him badly, concussion, broken nose, and broken finger all on one play.

Kostitsyn had an arguably dirtier play sticking his blade under Schenn's skate as they were racing back into the corner to get a puck, could have easily broken his leg or worse there.

Some other asshole slewfooted Schenn about 2 feet in front of Kerry Fraser (so close to the play the announcers tried to stand up for him claiming he was 'too close' to see it) which directly led to Koivu's goal about 2 seconds later.

With a few minutes left Kostitsyn took a flat out run at Grabovski who was about 3 feet away from the puck, went in high with both hands to the face.

The slewfoot was Tanguay I think. Kostitsyn is just a bitch. Not only did he do that bullshit on Schenn and Grabovski, he was also the one who broke McCabe's wrist and hit Stajan from behind (I think, I didn't catch all of that game). The Kostopolos hit was ridiculous. I'll admit that it takes a Leaf to get hurt for me to really look at hits like this, but its going to be crap when Van Ryn is out for a month and Kostopolos will be out for a week. Its the classic fringe NHLer taking out an important player for a lengthy period of time. Say what you want, I really don't think that anything Hollweg has done this year is nearly as dirty.

I absolutely love Grabs. I don't know the whole story with him and the rest of the Habs, but its obvious there is bad blood there. Its obvious everyone on that team was gunning for him from the start; I haven't seen someone take that much of a beating during a game in quite some time. But he rose above them and played a great game. He also said he had no friends on the team which makes me really happy.

And finally, my absolutely favorite thing as a Leafs fan happened last night: Kovalev was no where to be found. Overall great game. It adds something back to the rivalry which is always good. If there is a silver lining with Van Ryn is that it gives more time to everyone else so that they can figure out who they want to keep on D.

The slewfoot was Tanguay I think. Kostitsyn is just a bitch. Not only did he do that bullshit on Schenn and Grabovski, he was also the one who broke McCabe's wrist and hit Stajan from behind (I think, I didn't catch all of that game). The Kostopolos hit was ridiculous. I'll admit that it takes a Leaf to get hurt for me to really look at hits like this, but its going to be crap when Van Ryn is out for a month and Kostopolos will be out for a week. Its the classic fringe NHLer taking out an important player for a lengthy period of time. Say what you want, I really don't think that anything Hollweg has done this year is nearly as dirty.

I absolutely love Grabs. I don't know the whole story with him and the rest of the Habs, but its obvious there is bad blood there. Its obvious everyone on that team was gunning for him from the start; I haven't seen someone take that much of a beating during a game in quite some time. But he rose above them and played a great game. He also said he had no friends on the team which makes me really happy.

And finally, my absolutely favorite thing as a Leafs fan happened last night: Kovalev was no where to be found. Overall great game. It adds something back to the rivalry which is always good. If there is a silver lining with Van Ryn is that it gives more time to everyone else so that they can figure out who they want to keep on D.

Kostopolous a fringe NHLer? Seeing the hit in real time it looked horrible sucks to see MVR get hurt on a play like that. That being said seeing a frame by frame of the play the first part it looks as though MVR is going to take the hit on the shoulder. As the frames continue on you can see MVR's left skate start to turn towards the boards as he prepares to stop. Kostopolous is already bracing for the hit when MVR turns to face the boards with Kostopolous 2 feet behind him. 12 frames of film and a second off the clock. Kostopolous had no chance to stop when MVR turned towards the boards. Hit looks alot worse than it is but when a player turns to face the boards at the last possible moment with a guy 2 feet behind him to avoid what appears to be a clean check taken on the shoulder what do you expect to happen?

I'm obviously going to sound biased but I agree with Kingpest, Kostopolous was remorse after the game, he had no chance of stopping and van ryn turned. To hear Wilson say its the players responsibility making the hit to see if he's vulnerable but I say it's also the player getting hit being responsible to not make himself vulnerable. And the Schenn thing thin was a lost edge imo, I had leafs fans beside me say the same thing, his stick happened to be behind his backfoot but he didnt put enough force to haul him down. Anyway with 6 games to go I'm looking forward to this rivalry renewing.

Being dirty and gutless doesn't make a team tough at all. In fact its usually quite the opposite. Its pretty ridiculous that people are actually trying to justify Kostopolos in this. He skated behind Van Ryn into the boards. Van Ryn turned to get the puck, Kostopolos continued to skate forward into him. He could have easily not hit him, but he chose to. If he was forced to hit him he could have/should have waited until Van Ryn wasn't so vulnerable. He obviously chose not to do so.

Yeah it was a hit from behind, but to say it was a "dirty" hit is just idiotic. Van Ryn was going behind the net and then just stopped like a moron...what do you expect, seriously? Yeah ok, it sucks that the dude's hurt and whatever but...it's BOTH guys faults. These guys are going 5 times faster than we are on the ice...it's easy to sit and judge. And that Schenn thing when they were BOTH going for the puck, kostitsyn put his stick out to touch the puck first and it touched Schenn's skate and he fell...WOW. Big deal. It really takes a Leaf fan to complain about crap like that...especially when you guys have Hollweg on your team...come on. We have ZERO dirty players on ours. It's called bad luck..and that Markov "boarding" penalty was pathetic. The leafs player was completely on his side. Pathetic. I really couldn't care less about the loss...i mean, we have to lose one eventually right? But I guess it's more humiliating since it's against the leafs. So great job on the win, and great job on the complaining again, you guys are definitely in first place for that.

I watched it frame-by-frame last night on TV, and I'm pretty sure Kostopolos didn't mean to do it on purpose. Right as he started to brace for the hit, it looked like Van Ryn was going to keep heading behind the net, and Kostopolos would've hit him from the side into the boards. Then like three frames later, when Kostopolos is about 2 feet away, Van Ryn tries to go the other way. I'm not biased towards Kostopolos because I'm not a big Habs fan, but I don't think he meant to do it on purpose, and I don't think he could've avoided it in that situation. Watch it frame by frame, and then as Van Ryn starts to turn, as yourself if you could've avoided it yourself. It all happened so fast. Kostopolos said after the game he didn't want to hurt him, and someone from the Leafs said that he's not a dirty player but he should still be suspended.

I agree that he should be suspended for a game or 2 just to stop hits like these but...the intent to injure was just not there. Kostopoulous isn't a dirty player at all. Tome this whole situation is just bad luck.

Being dirty and gutless doesn't make a team tough at all. In fact its usually quite the opposite. Its pretty ridiculous that people are actually trying to justify Kostopolos in this. He skated behind Van Ryn into the boards. Van Ryn turned to get the puck, Kostopolos continued to skate forward into him. He could have easily not hit him, but he chose to. If he was forced to hit him he could have/should have waited until Van Ryn wasn't so vulnerable. He obviously chose not to do so.
Watch it in slo mo or look at frame by frame. MVRs numbers are clearly seen by the camera on the goal line. Skates are parallel to the boards. Kosto is on the goal line. MVR keeps going straight he gets hit on the shoulder and its a big hit and nothing happens. At the last possible moment MVR stops and attempts to go back the other way with Kosto 2-3 feet away from him already bracing for the hit. I saw a 12 frame clip from where Kosto is on the goalline to MVR hitting the boards and 1 second came off the clock. Kosto had no room or time to wait until MVR was wasnt so vulnerable. Yeah its a hit from behind but its nowhere near as dirty as it appears to be. Players seriously need to stop turning to face the boards at the last second or injuries like this are going to continue to happen.

Yes, it was from behind....Yes, he will probably - rightfully, be suspended.

Did he mean to do it - NO! Van Ryn changed his direction at the last minute...Kostopolous couldn't stop his momentum if he wanted to...but, the hit was from behind, and if they want that out of the game...they HAVE to suspend him, regardless of intent.

Here's why I think it was not intentional. A guy who throws a dirty hit on purpose turns around ready to defend himself because he knows the shit storm is coming. Watch TK's reaction. He hangs his head...

As someone already said...He was remorseful after the game as well.

2, maybe 3 games.

And before everyone yells "HOMER!" I'd be saying this regardless of who was involved. Guys taking hits gotta stop turning into the boards...and guys giving hits gotta think ahead...if a player is in a position that looks safe now...but may not be in 1 or 2 seconds...ease up.

Did he mean to do it - NO! Van Ryn changed his direction at the last minute...Kostopolous couldn't stop his momentum if he wanted to...but, the hit was from behind, and if they want that out of the game...they HAVE to suspend him, regardless of intent.

He meant to hit him and there is no way that could have turned out any better. Kostopoulos put his arms right across the top of van ryns back and finished him into the boards. If it was body to body and there was no way to avoid it, I might agree with you but that is obviously not the case here. Kotopoulos had no idea where the puck was and didn't care, his only intent was to drill van ryn and he did exactly what he set out to do. If he's too dumb to realize that trying to maim the guy might actually result in maiming the guy, that's on him.

Kostopoulous isn't a dirty player at all.

One word:

Bullshit

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/R...ortsHockey/home

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/2007...981899514_x.htm

He's in the NHL because he plays that way, it's not because of his playmaking or scoring.

He meant to hit him and there is no way that could have turned out any better. Kostopoulos put his arms right across the top of van ryns back and finished him into the boards. If it was body to body and there was no way to avoid it, I might agree with you but that is obviously not the case here. Kotopoulos had no idea where the puck was and didn't care, his only intent was to drill van ryn and he did exactly what he set out to do. If he's too dumb to realize that trying to maim the guy might actually result in maiming the guy, that's on him.

Kostopoulous isn't a dirty player at all.

One word:

Bullshit

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/R...ortsHockey/home

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/2007...981899514_x.htm

He's in the NHL because he plays that way, it's not because of his playmaking or scoring.

Ill agree with him wanting to hit MVR as thats part of his game. If it wasnt for the frame by frame I saw I probably would have argued the intent for other than a big hit was there. But after seeing a frame by frame of it and seeing how it goes from a hit that MVR is most likely going to take from the side to one where he puts on the brakes at the last possible moment ended up facing the boards right before impact it ends up looking more like bad timing than an intent to actually hurt the guy. At the speed Kostopolous was going it would have taken a major miracle for him to stop or even slow down and lessen the impact. That being said it still ended up a hit from behind and chances are he'll sit a few games.