Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interpathway

Home Theaters

Just finished installing my home theater at my college apartment. Pictures will be posted later tonight once I figure out the intricate process of uploading them to MSH (I'm sure it's actually not that hard...). Please share with us all your high-tech gadgets (remotes, TV/Projectors, Gaming systems, etc.) and please feel free to suggest something I may be missing or should add!

Television-Front Projection InFocus Screenplay 4805 DLP Projector (High-Def of course) 84 inch screen (ceiling mounted)

connected to

XBox 360 via Component Cables, an N64 (Ghetto, right!), and Guitar Hero through my PS2

with Audio being broadcasted through

Nakamichi speakers with an FM/AM antenna available for radio broadcasts throughout the room (Caps games on the TV while listening to Steve Kolby on 980AM...it's something!).

Currently using a Kameleon remote that burns through batteries so I am looking for a solid (Logitech Harmony or Philips Pronto TSU_____) replacement...

Have my couch running perpendicular to the wall the image is being broadcasted on so you can kick back and check out all the Capitals' action!

The entire get-up ran me well under a grand. I searched out EBay for everything I could find for pennies on the dollar. Projector was $400 shipped (incredible find, but I just scanned EBay and there are others there for around the same price point), Refurb XBox was $200, the speakers were a Garage sale find (not sure of Nakamichi's brand quality as a whole but these sound amazing), and I had the PS2 and N64 laying around.

Anyone else a junkie whore for Home Theaters?

Sounds like quite the rig for a College Apartment. I assume you are in the place for the school full run. Sounds like a hell of a set up to have to move every 8 months

I finally joined the 21st century and got a 67" Samsung HL67750, got DirecTV HD DVR, and NHL Center Ice, and a nice Bose center channel speaker. My house has surround sound speakers built into the ceiling, but they wouldn't work with my old TV. Everything is hooked up now, and it looks and sounds awesome!

No junkie, but I like to dabble....

Toshiba 56" DLP

Onkyo 7.1 system (only using 3.1 speakers so far)

Windows Media Center 2005 PC (going to run DVI out to HDMI in tv)

Time Warner HD DVR (attached by HDMI)

NHL Center Ice

Onkyo DVD

Waiting on wiring and speaker mounts from Monoprice. SideNote: best prices for wiring by far!

2 Xbox360s in other rooms with their own LCD flat panels

1 Wii on a old 32" tv in case of thrown controller

I finally joined the 21st century and got a 67" Samsung HL67750, got DirecTV HD DVR, and NHL Center Ice, and a nice Bose center channel speaker.

That's what I am talking about!

Still a bit cluttered with wires, but hoping to clear that up soon.

img5621ah2.th.jpgthpix.gif

img5620gb9.th.jpgthpix.gif

img5617yo7.th.jpgthpix.gif

img5619lf1.th.jpgthpix.gif

img5616hj3.th.jpgthpix.gif

I've got a little one:

32" LCD (no clue on the brand name)

Yamaha 5550 5.1 receiver

Athena speakers (floorstanders up front, bookshelf speakers for surround, center channel)

Toshiba progressive scan DVD player (HDMI)

Digital cable w/ DVR and HD (HDMI)

I'm hoping to get a PS3 someday and replace my PS2 and DVD player. It's not insanely loud, but it sounds nice and clear, the TV looks pretty good for the money, and it's all controlled by a Logitech Harmony.

Interpathway, your projector is what the videophiles generally call Enhanced Def. My projector (Optoma H31) has a similar clarity. True High Def is referred to as 1080p and outputs at 1920 x 1080, whereas our projectors are 720p or 1080i and output at 854 x 480.

That said, the picture is outstanding for such a large size. However, we also have a 1080p TV that we'll use when it's too bright or for shows that don't need to be seen so large, and the 1080p is noticeably sharper. The good news is 1080p projectors are coming down in price dramatically. I saw a Sanyo at $1600 after rebates. I figure I will keep my current projector until its lamp burns out -- probably 2-3 years -- then see what the price difference will be for buying a new lamp versus the 1080p projectors at that time. It wouldn't shock me if there were a selection of 1080p projectors available for under $1200 at that time. Since some people's room configurations allow them to have 110" to 140" screens, that would be hard to pass up in high def.

On a different topic, has anyone noticed the Blu-Ray players have started to drop in price? About three weeks ago, I bought an open box model at Circuit City that had high reviews for $208, since the new version is coming soon. I've watched three movies and here are my observations.

Entrapment: They had nothing great at Blockbuster, so I signed up with their mail service, yet I got inpatient and bought the least expensive BR disc at Costco. The movie is nine years old and I didn't notice much difference visually, but I noticed a difference in the sound, particularly in the center surrounds. (I had set up 7.1 two years ago, since my room is long and thin, but not many DVD's used the center surrounds.)

Young Avengers: This was hand animation and I still didn't notice much difference visually, but the sound was again superior.

Speed Racer: That was truly stunning. The movie was almost entirely CGI and green screen with bright, vibrant colors. The picture was noticeably sharper and it seemed the CGI led to a higher level of definition. Here's the interesting sidebar, however. I wanted to compare the picture with my TV, which is 1080p, and it wasn't as enjoyable, mainly because it was far more apparent the actors were filming on a green screen. In other words, on the 780p projector, the actors blended into the screen, whereas on the 1080p TV, it was more noticeable they had been placed on the background. In one of the featurettes for the movie, the production crew said they had gone for a "hyper-real" look by outlining the elements to make the actors or backgrounds pop out more, and I suspect that Blu-Ray is shooting for "hyper-real" in general. I've heard people say Blu-Ray looks more real than real, and I suspect this is accomplished by subtle shadowing. That probably will be great in 1080p for natural shots, but it was too noticeable for CGI affects -- at least with this movie.

I've always been wanting to do a theatre but never got around to it. I've got a couple friends with them that have them so in my mind I'm picking and choosing what I'd possibly try with. For now it's just really simple in our living room since we have kids and I don't want all that shit out there to be messed with:

livingroom4ta.jpg

Yeah, just something really annoying and superfluous that my wife has for the room. As for the lack-of clutter, the kids don't really make it that way and hang out in the little family area near the kitchen. I could put up a pic of that if you want to see clutter but I think even I'm a bit too embarrassed for that.

Yes, I have a 110" screen that I attached to the ceiling, but that's because I don't have dry wall in that area -- it's a long closet. I've thought of rearranging the furniture so I'd be able to move the screen back and work my way up to a 144" screen, but The Big D hasn't been able to grasp the need for that yet....

I'll post pics of my "home theater" when I get home. I have a nice set up in my bar room that is also connected to my billiards room and a nice set up in my living room. I also have a brand new HD Projector in my basement that I'll be setting up when I finish the basement. Although, it all seems modest compared to THockey's.

Although, it all seems modest compared to THockey's.

THockey's is something else. Is that black velvet around your screen, btw (THockey)? Im currently using black duct tape but it is reflecting more light back to me then I would like...

interpathway, I recall seeing white screen material for sale on eBay. I ended up buying a retractable screen, but I considered making a screen before that. My memory is the price would have been about $50 to $75, and reviews I'd read suggested the screen is better than drywall.

Sony Bravia 42" LCD, Onkyo DVD and 7.1 setup with Bose all-around. 360 and the 20-year-old sister's Wii and that's about it.