Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interpathway

Home Theaters

Always a shit disturber, eh? I actually put a couple little pads underneath the front left leg and it looks a lot more even now.

Still cant' figure out the Sync problem though.

Have you thought of getting a universal command remote like a Harmony, Universal Remote, etc brand to not have to worry about proprietary syncing. Especially as you make changes to your equipment.

I suppose I could, but they always seem so expensive. I know every dreams of 1 remote...but, there is a lot I can do with $100 instead of buying a remote.

[EDIT]: Called Sony. Apparently the length of HDMI (from 6' to 12') and the fact that it is a lower quality cable is causing the Sync feature to not work. I see no downgrade in picture or sound quality, so I guess I can live with it..

So, a $7.99 12' cable is the SAME QUALITY as a 59.99 10' cable?

If so, People really are gullable! I've got all my stuff hooked up with cheap cables...never seen an issue until now. I should plug the shorter cable back in and see what happens.

So, a $7.99 12' cable is the SAME QUALITY as a 59.99 10' cable?

If so, People really are gullable! I've got all my stuff hooked up with cheap cables...never seen an issue until now. I should plug the shorter cable back in and see what happens.

Well, the physical construction of the cable itself can vary depending on price point. Cheap cables could break more easily, etc. But as far as signal? Nope - not a damn bit of difference. Like I said, 1s and 0s. It's a digital signal. You either get sound and picture or you don't. There is no quality loss in a digital signal like there is in an analog one (that is, unless youre not receiving all your 1s and 0s..)

The best one is always the "gold plated connectors". The idea is that gold conducts electricity better. Except that the solder joint to the wire itself is still tin. lol.

I once had a problem with a cheap HDMI cable. I too figured that 1s and 0s were just 1s and 0s so I bought the cheapest cable available. My blu-ray player would play fine for a good while but occasionally the picture would break up and freeze. I tried another identical cable and the same problem returned. To make a long story short, after a bit of trouble-shooting, I swapped the cable to a different model and never had a problem since then. So maybe cheaper cables are more prone to interference that can cause bit errors. So while a high-price cable is over-kill, a cheap no-name cable can be a problem.

Just about any product can be made poorly enough to cause problems. It could have been interference, poor joints at the connectors, strands that broke easily, etc.

HDMI cables can be shit, that's for sure. That said, don't waste the $ for a Monster cable. The longer the run the better the quality you want with HDMI or so I've been told.

1) From everything I've read over the years, larger cables allow great throughput of bits and bytes. I was looking at subwoofer cables yesterday at Best Buy, and the less expensive cable looked to be about 1/8" of metal, while the more expensive cable was about 1/4". However, the two lengths I needed added up to $55, which caused me to remember about.....

2) ....http://www.monoprice.com. I don't know who makes their cables -- I think they make their own -- but they're inexpensive and quite reputable among the A/V crowd.

1) From everything I've read over the years, larger cables allow great throughput of bits and bytes. I was looking at subwoofer cables yesterday at Best Buy, and the less expensive cable looked to be about 1/8" of metal, while the more expensive cable was about 1/4". However, the two lengths I needed added up to $55, which caused me to remember about.....

Speaker cables are analog. Totally different from HDMI or any other digital signal. Thicker cables are for higher current.

2) ....http://www.monoprice.com. I don't know who makes their cables -- I think they make their own -- but they're inexpensive and quite reputable among the A/V crowd.

I agree, I love monoprice. I buy all my cat5e/cat6 as well as MMF and SMF from there. Crazy cheap. Very happy with the quality. Also very good HDMI cables, and the optical audio cable I bought from them has been flawless also.

Visiting my parents and trying to simplify their TV setup. They have a TV with hdmi inputs, they have Bell Fibe, but only the standard digital package...no HD. the receiver has hdmi out. Wouldn't that still work, and eliminate the need for 3 cables (red/white rca for sound and s-video)