Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Harris

Oh, the silly things humans do

No kidding.

"We might have to put him down. Once an animal tastes human blood, he can become a danger to all of us."

"When?"

"Well....um....in case someone falls into his pen again!"

I like this part:

A year earlier, state media reported that a drunken tourist tried to hug the panda, who bit him. In an odd twist, the tourist reportedly bit back.

I mean, who hasn't done this?

DNA testing of children to determine in which sports they might excel
When Donna Campiglia learned recently that a genetic test might be able to determine which sports suit the talents of her 2 1/2- year-old son, Noah, she instantly said, "Where can I get it, and how much does it cost?"

"I think it would prevent a lot of parental frustration," she said.

In health-conscious, sports-oriented Boulder, Atlas Sports Genetics is playing into the obsessions of parents by offering a $149 test that aims to predict a child's natural athletic strengths. The process is simple. Swab inside the child's cheek and along the gums to collect the DNA and return it to a laboratory for analysis of ACTN3, one gene among more than 20,000 in the human genome.

The test's goal is to determine whether a person would be best at speed and power sports such as sprinting or football, or endurance sports such as distance running, or a combination of the two. A 2003 study discovered the link between ACTN3 and those athletic abilities.

Prevent parental frustration??? My experience is it would lead to quite the opposite. Little Johnny was supposed to be fast -- why isn't he running faster?!?!

Also, how well would the test determine the timetable for this potential? When I was younger, I was small and slow. In high school, I was still small but became a sprinter. In my upper 20's, I became fairly decent-sized while still maintaining my speed. (Of course, finally, in my mid 40's, I've gone full circle and am too large and too slow! :P ) The point, of course, is I was a far cry from my ultimate potential throughout my entire youth sports career, so I could see parents becoming frustrated that the DNA testing was wrong about Little Johnny.

"Sir, from the readouts I am getting, Your son will be about 5'7" and barely 170 lbs. He will be far too small for contact sports, but will be very quick and have strong arms and hands. I would recommend tennis or possibly baseball. "

"Sounds Good Doc. I can see it now-2003 Wimbledon Champion BRIAN GIONTA"

That's incredibly sad.

They referred to him as "agitated," but how could he take this out on such defenseless, younger children? They shouldn't even have been in his thought process because he's at such a different level. It's equivalent to kicking a cat, but he took it to a horrible extreme.

Elephant are smart animals:

Pay road tax to an elephant in Orissa

Edit: Other article: http://www.earthweek.com/online/ew070601/ew070601g.html

Elephant Demands 'Toll' on Indian Road

A hungry elephant on a remote stretch of highway in eastern India is demanding food before allowing vehicles to pass.

A wild elephant in the eastern India state of Orissa has sparked a string of complaints from motorists who accuse it of blocking a roadway and refusing to allow vehicles to pass unless drivers give it food.

So far, the pachyderm has not harmed anyone, according to the Hindustan Times.

But the animal uses its imposing size to block vehicles until those inside roll down the windows and get out.

“The tusker then inserts its trunk inside the vehicle and sniffs for food,” local resident Prabodh Mohanty told the newspaper. “If you are carrying vegetables and banana inside your vehicle, then it will gulp them and allow you to go.”

:lol:

Damn, right up in your neck of the woods, JR. I also edited out the picture in question.

WOMAN WHO KILLED SHOT AT SHOOTING RANGE CAUGHT ON TAPE

CASSELBERRY, Fla. -- A central Florida woman who fatally shot her son then killed herself at a shooting range said she was the anti-Christ and that she needed to save her son.

In rambling, teary audio recordings left for her boyfriend and authorities, as well as shorter suicide notes, Marie Moore, 44, apologized several times and said repeatedly: "I had to send my son to heaven and myself to Hell."

Authorities said Wednesday they still had no motive for the murder-suicide that shocked fellow customers and employees at the Shoot Straight range in Casselberry, about 10 miles north of Orlando, on Sunday.

"We have no clue. I don't even want to begin to speculate," said Deputy Chief Bill McNeil of the Casselberry Police Department.

The gun range's security video shows 20-year-old Mitchell Moore taking aim at a target in a booth when his mother, 44, walks up behind him and points a gun at the back of his head. In the next frame, the son is seen falling to the ground and a nearby patron appears to alert others as he points to the unseen carnage.

The gun used was rented at the range.

According to a police report, earlier footage from the surveillance video shows the mother and son taking turns shooting and talking with other customers in the adjacent lane. "They seem to be getting along fine," one of the responding officers said.

The son died at the scene. Marie Moore was still alive when officers arrived at the range but later died at a hospital.

Mitchell's father, Charles Moore, told police that Marie Moore had a history of mental illness and had previously attempted suicide and been involuntarily committed to a mental hospital in 2002 under the state's Baker Act.

Marie Moore refers to the incident in records she left for police and Shoot Straight, saying she spent a year in and out of a "mental home" but insisted: "I'm not sick." Family members found the audio tapes and three suicide notes late Monday and gave them to police.

"I'm sorry to do this in your place of business, but I had to save my son," one message said. "God made me a queen and I failed. I'm a fallen angel. He turned me into the anti-Christ."

Moore said she could have killed only herself but felt she had to "save" her son and do it in a public way so the world could also be saved. "Hopefully when I die, there will 1,000 years of peace."

She apologized to her boyfriend for hiding her plans from him, but added: "You would've Baker Acted me... and I wouldn't have been able to try to save Mitch."

Larry Anderson, a manager at Shoot Straight, said it's unclear whether the Moores had been to the range before, but they weren't regular customers. The range requires that customers fill out a form with a series of questions, including whether they have ever been convicted of a felony or been declared mentally unstable. But it has no way to verify the information.

Anderson defended the range's policies, saying: "If someone acts right, we have to assume they are right."

Based on the writings and audio recordings that he's seen in the media, Anderson said, it's clear that Marie Moore was "bent on doing it."

"Sometimes, like what happens Sunday, you have no control," Anderson said. "There's nothing you can do to prevent it."

Working numbers for Moore's family members could not be found. According to the police report, Moore's son lived in an apartment with his girlfriend and was due to have dinner with his father the day he died.

Considering some of the things that have been posted in here so far...we should reconsider out definition of 'silly'

*sigh*

What was the conversation like at the rental desk?

"Renting a pistol today, eh?"

"Yup."

"Gonna enjoy some target shooting with your son?"

"Nah, gonna shoot him and then send myself to hell."

"Good luck with that........if you need more bullets, swing on back."

So, I went to the local watering hole last night to watch a band...2 kids get in an arguement on the patio. 1 kid pulls a knife...stabs the other 5-6 times. Takes off. Call 9-11. Kid ends up dying on the patio...not sure EMT could have got their fast enough to save him.

Apparently not random...they knew each other.

Cops/CSI come into the bar. Lock the doors. No one leaves until they have given name/statement. They say they want all the alcohol of the tables too. Wait staff starts collecting half drank pitchers etc...waitress come up to the bar (where I'm standing) and says to the main bartender: "Guys in the back room want a refund for their beer".

Without missing a beat...bartender goes: "A kid just died on the patio...tell them no!"

Fucking surreal night. Once they had my statement (which was essentially "I saw nothing...thought it was just a fight on the patio until everyone started panicing") I was free to go.

They get the guy that took off?

Not right away...but enough people in the bar knew who he was...that I'm sure they got him later that night or this morning.

On my way to the hotel in Bingo last night we passed the scene of the shooting from last week and it was still covered in flowers and wreaths.

On my way to the hotel in Bingo last night we passed the scene of the shooting from last week and it was still covered in flowers and wreaths.

I'm sure there will be a mountain of flowers on the patio tomorrow morning. The place was just re-opening tonight.