Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

troy

Avery suspended

agreed... avery (although quite dumb at times) is a big game player. he gets under teams skin and helps teams that are already at the top of their game. if he actaully goes to toronto he will probably just get into more trouble because he will get so frustrated.

Not sure if this was mentioned in previous posts

after watching Sportsnet Hockey Central Friday night, Kypreos and Watters mentioned a possible trade between the Leafs and Dallas

Sean Avery + 2nd Rounder to Toronto

for

Jason Blake

Their reasons are Blake is not a rebuilding type player, he's not good with "kids". Avery is so low right now he'll do anything to get back on ANY team, he'll keep his mouth shut and play. With Wilson and Burke in T.O. they'll make sure Avery is set straight, and he's near home where his family is.

Not a rumour, more of a "blog"

I find this kinda funny, Burke hates the guy and can't stand him. Avery will not benefit the rebuilding process of the Leafs

Couldn't happen, the media presence is too large here, it would be a circus. Also I can't believe Burke would want to bring in a guy like that as his first major move.

If he ever gets back in the league, it will have to be some (relative) backwater like Atlanta or Nashville. I would think any huge market it would just be too distracting to have him come in, at any price.

Not sure if this was mentioned in previous posts

after watching Sportsnet Hockey Central Friday night, Kypreos and Watters mentioned a possible trade between the Leafs and Dallas

Sean Avery + 2nd Rounder to Toronto

for

Jason Blake

Their reasons are Blake is not a rebuilding type player, he's not good with "kids". Avery is so low right now he'll do anything to get back on ANY team, he'll keep his mouth shut and play. With Wilson and Burke in T.O. they'll make sure Avery is set straight, and he's near home where his family is.

Not a rumour, more of a "blog"

I find this kinda funny, Burke hates the guy and can't stand him. Avery will not benefit the rebuilding process of the Leafs

Couldn't happen, the media presence is too large here, it would be a circus. Also I can't believe Burke would want to bring in a guy like that as his first major move.

If he ever gets back in the league, it will have to be some (relative) backwater like Atlanta or Nashville. I would think any huge market it would just be too distracting to have him come in, at any price.

The only way that works is if the leafs bury him in the AHL. It would allow them to clear NHL salary and a roster space with Blake out of the lineup. Given the current economic climate, I really don't see anyone claiming him on waivers.

I wouldn't want Avery to be a negative influence on guys like Tlusty, Pogge and Stralman on the Marlies. I'm sure that is a major concern for Burke and his staff.

In order for a guy like Avery to have any real influence on a guy's development as a player (on or off the ice), I would think the player in question would have to have one or two screws loose to begin with. If a guy like Avery found his way into my dressing room, I: 1) wouldn't be happy about it at all, and 2) would likely completely ignore everything he did and said.

I agree, but I just wouldn't want him on that team to begin with. Those guys should be developing, and the last thing I would want would be to have the media circus following the team's every move. Basically Avery is a headache that I just don't want in the Leafs' organization, unless they got a hell of a lot out of it.

It'd kill me to see Sundin on the Rangers but from their standpoint, it looks good. They may have good chemistry now but can you bank on some of the guys scoring now to be scoring later? Sundin's about as clutch as they get in the playoffs and the Rangers presumably wouldn't stick him with absolute shit on the wings like Toronto did.

I agree, but I just wouldn't want him on that team to begin with. Those guys should be developing, and the last thing I would want would be to have the media circus following the team's every move. Basically Avery is a headache that I just don't want in the Leafs' organization, unless they got a hell of a lot out of it.

I don't know about that. Burke's forte isn't exactly player development.

I can't say much for his Hartford days, but I think that a major reason why that is true is because of the teams he already had in place. In Vancouver he had a better team (I think) already than the Leafs have now. But he still made the moves to draft the Sedins. Same goes for Anaheim, where he focused more on getting free agents. But still, he held on to Getzlaf, Perry and Penner, and they were important parts of their Cup. He has stated numerous times since being hired that he understands the importance of building from within in the organization.

He may recognise the importance of keeping what's there, but Murray was responsible for them getting Getzlaf and Perry. Ryan as well, but nobody's perfect.

only thing i don't get is..

they choose to keep someone like Steve Ott on the team.. who's had his fair share of troubles.. ON and OFF the ice.. yet they get on Avery for his comments about sloppy seconds and suspend/ask him to not return to the team.. what were the consuquences of Ott from this game? a 10 min game misconduct..If Avery did what Ott did ALL game (yeah Avery got into a couple fights/penalties.. but nothing was nearly as major as Ott..).. he'd be banished or criticized by more..

"and the cheap shots continue from steve ott.."

"who's career is going to end when that guy gets away with something like that?"

Ott was placed on IR up until recently.. but no one addressed his actions in this 11/1/08 game.

there's just something fishy about this situation.. how is Ott NOT reprimanded for his antics.. yet Avery is suspended and then told NOT to come back to the team.. for a comment about 'sloppy seconds'? why isn't anyone on Ott's case? at least Avery backs up his mouth/actions and fights.. and doesn't back down.. Ott just throws a couple cheap shots.. then just stands there if someone goes after him b/c of the cheap shot.

PS: i'm not saying this cause i'm biased towards Sean Avery.. he's one of my favorite players.. as were (will always be) Theo Fleury.. and Claude Lemeiux back in their hay days.. but has anyone honestly thought about that?!

What I'm gathering from your post is that you're basing the majority of this off of one game. Ott doesn't have the same history that Avery does. Even being an Avery fan, you've got admit that Avery has a really tainted reputation based on previous altercations. Off the ice, Avery's a joke. Ott, is from what I've heard, a pretty nice guy; down to Earth fella. In the locker room, Avery's cancer. Ott, is the opposite.

Avery fighting and backing up his trash talk? Have you watched any Stars games this year? Take James Neal for example. Last game against the Blue Jackets he dropped the gloves without hesitation against Brassard and they went straight at it. I didn't see or recall from memory this season Avery doing that once.

Being a Stars fan, I am much more a fan of Ott than Avery. I would however take Avery over Barch, if that makes you feel better.

EDIT: James Neal: