Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

troy

Avery suspended

Avery gets a whole lot less leeway than anyone else in this situation too.

I think that has to do with his history. I think the league would prefer the guy was gone altogether. The shame of it, he's an ok player when he decides to play.

Which is probably how it should be. People are also a lot more offended by this situation because its from Avery's mouth.

I can't believe some of you guys support this kind of personal attacks.

Granted it could make people watch more hockey but do you really want to market the NHL with such idiots? This is not the WWE.

I for one am certainly not supporting it. I just feel that is really not a very big deal, and the NHL is hurting itself by acting in this manner.

Not a big deal?! Go to work tomorrow, tell your boss that you banged his wife before they got together, call your boss's wife "sloppy seconds" and see what happens. I bet you'll be jobless and out the door!!!

Not at all. What would you rather watch- a Detroit/Colorado game from the late 90s or an Atlanta/Florida game today?

Granted it could make people watch more hockey but do you really want to market the NHL with such idiots? This is not the WWE.

I for one am certainly not supporting it. I just feel that is really not a very big deal, and the NHL is hurting itself by acting in this manner.

Not a big deal?! Go to work tomorrow, tell your boss that you banged his wife before they got together, call your boss's wife "sloppy seconds" and see what happens. I bet you'll be jobless and out the door!!!

I'm not being paid millions to piss of my boss.

I'll share a story i was told from someone who is a bit in the know on inner circle hockey stories....

Back when Avery was playing for the Kings, one game when they played the Red Wings, Avery decided to shit talk Yzerman. He's leaning over the boards saying things like "get off the ice you one legged pos, you're too old, you haven't done anything in years, you were a crappy captain..."

So Shannahan didn't like this very much and is standing near the Kings bench. He says, "Sean stop calling me. Just stop calling me. Lose my number. I'm tired of hearing you bitch and moan about how your coach sucks, how your linemates can't do shit, and how you hate your team and how you think they'll never make the playoffs. Just delete my number and stop calling.

Needless to say Avery had zero response, as he caught the ire of his coach and teammates.

Heh - great story.

That's exactly it: he's so stupid he didn't realise the league was just waiting to land on him, and he handed them a gold-plated excuse.

Not at all. What would you rather watch- a Detroit/Colorado game from the late 90s or an Atlanta/Florida game today?

That rivalry was born with playoff meetings and brought to a boil by a cheap hit. I don't recall wives or mothers being part of the equation.

I'm going to beat Chadd to the punch here.... Players get suspended 3 games for head shots, but they immediately get suspended for calling their ex-girlfriend "sloppy seconds"? This is one of the main reasons why the NHL sucks. I had no plans of watching the Calgary/Dallas game before this, and Avery actually made me excited about it. Who doesn't want to see Dion smack down Sean? Too bad we can't see that now because the NHL is hypersensitive. The NHL cost themselves a lot of viewers tonight.

Word. Offensive or not, this is has been pure entertainment. When comparing this to other forms of "acceptable" entertainment as well as other professional sports antics, this really isn't all that bad. It seems obvious Avery is trying to ruffle feathers and the big picture is getting more peopel excited about watching hockey.

Maybe I'm immature or low brow, but I was pretty pumped to watch tonight. I have a feeling that this drama would've gone a long way to attracting more viewers who wouldn't otherwise watch.

Outside of professional wrestling, show me one other purposeful quote in the media made by a professional athlete about another's wife/girlfriend in this manner. I won't bother waiting.

I'd rather see comments about girlfriends than shootings and drug abuse, wouldn't you? That is what I refer to by antics. A suspension for shock value seems a little over the top. I would think that professionals who've been around the league would be able to recognize what Sean is trying to do here. These guys are in "the show" right?

I would think a guy like Dion, being able to reflect on all of this before the game, would have the sense to not pull a Bertuzzi. It's not like he's trying to cause physical harm to anyone. This is not the same thing as the Steve Moore incident. It's one thing if Avery sends a flying elbow to Iginla's head, then you PROTECT your teammate.

All of you are saying Sean has made an ass of himself. Im sure the Flame's know that too. Sean certainly knows it. He may be asked to drop the gloves and might see some additional physical contact come his way. He's looking to turn heads by making statements like this.

Either is Avery. Last time I checked Avery was being paid to be a hockey player. I sense that you do have a problem with the comment which is why you wouldn't say it yourself.

You're missing my point, but that is to be expected. The league has focused solely on marketing skill and teams as of late, and has forgotten what the average person sees hockey as: a sport between pissed off guys on ice with sticks. As fans we all know that there is more to the game than that, but you'll have a hard time attracting anybody new without that. Hockey is a great sport because of the skill, but also because of what a naturally gritty game it is. There are extras that go along with the game, and certainly Avery is one of them. Not everyone will like it, but in this case Avery certainly made the game more exciting. What he did was absolutely retarded, but I cannot believe they actually suspended him for it.

Either is Avery. Last time I checked Avery was being paid to be a hockey player. I sense that you do have a problem with the comment which is why you wouldn't say it yourself.

Avery has skill, but ask anyone and they'll say his role on the Stars is as an agitator. This is him trying to agitate one of the other team's best players. I wouldn't say that to my boss first because I don't have one, and secondly because it isn't true. What Avery said was true, too.

I also cannot believe he gets suspended for this.. A fine, sure. But seriously, it wasnt even like he said he was going to harm someone or made a threat..he made an offbeat (personally I laughed when I read the quote) comment thats getting blown up because of his name..

What difference does it make where the comment was made? It's classless no matter where it's said!!! If it happened on ice, Dion may get a chance to put his hands on Avery which may cause the next black eye to hockey. But it didn't and now we've been spared witnessing another violent incident to hockey. Think of the position Avery put Dion in? What should he do? Go after Avery to defend his girl and risk a lengthy suspension of his own and make Avery the victim?

The NHL should play no role in deciding what is classy and what is classless, only what is safe and what is dangerous.

You don't honestly believe that the league has no interest in protecting its image? Every league out there has suspended and/or fined players for actions/comments that have nothing to do with safety but put the league in a bad light.

I think that the league does have an interest in protecting its image, but I don't think suspending players is how it should be approached. I'd have no problems fining Avery for this. Suspending him only robs the fans who were excited for what appeared to be a good game.

And for the record, I think we'd both agree that it would be unfair to compare the NHL to the other leagues in terms of their players and the league's image. The NHL is leaps and bounds above the other leagues in that regard.

The NHL is also leaps and bounds behind other leagues in attention, media coverage, and fans.

That rivalry was born with playoff meetings and brought to a boil by a cheap hit. I don't recall wives or mothers being part of the equation.

In response to the first quote, that is a rather pointless argument to make. Phaneuf is not his boss. Do you and your boss compete directly with eachother in the workplace. Does your office make more money if more people watch your boss fire you?

And for the second... ok.. so you prefer a cheap hit to shock value comments? Possible serious injury over hurt feelings?

I for one don't like Avery or his antics. I've worked in Federal Corrections for over 14 years and even the inmates know that comments about family are off limits!!!

I like hard skating and hard clean hitting hockey. I like guys that play balls out each and every shift. I like classy guys that don't harm the game thru their on-ice behaviour or off-ice conduct. I like guys that respect the game and the people that play in it now and in the past.

Mike

Again, what he said isn't the issue. It wasn't that bad. He's just such a colossal idiot that he made it into a little televised scene, like Radio said.

Look at it this way... if I get back to the bench at intermission and say to my team, "Goddamn, that ref is blowing the game," and the ref overhears, he CAN let it go. If I skate out to centre and say it to him, I'll get penalised.

BuffaloKing, my point is the words that Avery used "sloppy seconds" are so inappropriate that a respectable person wouldn't use them. Avery picked those words to disrespect and degrade Dion, Elisha and anybody else that may be dating on of his ex-girlfriends.

Again, what he said isn't the issue. It wasn't that bad. He's just such a colossal idiot that he made it into a little televised scene, like Radio said.

Look at it this way... if I get back to the bench at intermission and say to my team, "Goddamn, that ref is blowing the game," and the ref overhears, he CAN let it go. If I skate out to centre and say it to him, I'll get penalised.

Just saw the clip on versus and you can tell it was something he had been thinking about saying. He stumbled badly in his delivery though, loses a lot of points for being a douche and not looking nonchalant while doing it.

The NHL could have done a much better job of handling this situation. Let the Stars organization handle the suspension. The NHL handing out a suspension is only going to increase publicity and insure that Avery's comments are played on every sports network.

BuffaloKing, my point is the words that Avery used "sloppy seconds" are so inappropriate that a respectable person wouldn't use them. Avery picked those words to disrespect and degrade Dion, Elisha and anybody else that may be dating on of his ex-girlfriends.

Oh I definitely agree with you there. Avery is anything but a respectable person, and thats why he is Sean Avery. I don't personally think suspending him for tonight was a good idea. Like I said though, I would imagine he's only doing himself a disservice. Hopefully Dion, Elisha, and everyone else realize a) he's saying it to get people riled up, and B.) he is immature and his comments carry about as much worth as those of a 6th grader.

I realize it was stupid for him to do this considering who he is and the situation his team is in, but perhaps it wasn't as malicious as it came out.

Then again only Avery knows that for sure.

The NHL could have handled this situation much better. Let the Stars organization handle the suspension. The NHL handing out a suspension is only going to increase publicity and insure that Avery's comments are played on every sports network.

Valid point. I didn't recognize that implication.

Is sloppy seconds really that bad of a term? Maybe I've become desensitized to it because its a common term, but I can think of a lot worse things to call someone's ex.

The NHL could have handled this situation much better. Let the Stars organization handle the suspension. The NHL handing out a suspension is only going to increase publicity and insure that Avery's comments are played on every sports network.

I don't believe that the team can suspend him without pay if he is actually available to play. Because the league did it, he is going to lose some money.

Is sloppy seconds really that bad of a term? Maybe I've become desensitized to it because its a common term, but I can think of a lot worse things to call someone's ex.

You're right, there are worse things to say. But the NHL has suspended guys for derrogatory comments about players heritage or a player's race so there's definately a line drawn.

As Bob McK said....had Avery said..

"What's up in the NHL with guys falling in love with my (ex girlfriends)...?"

No one says anything...but because he used derogatory/foul language, in a pre-meditated manner, the League steps in.

I didn't read all of the posts so I don't know if anyone said this...but the suspension might be just to protect Avery from the other players cause I'm pretty sure Dion would kill him either with a punishing check or his fists lol...but then again the suspension doesn't surprise me, that is something you would see in the NFL or NBA not the NHL. Players in the NHL are almost always known for how they act on the ice and not how they act off, with the exception of a few who had some drug problems. Those comments have no place in sports, keep them to yourself, cause we all know damn well Avery can't and wont back up what he does...never has never will...

I don't believe that the team can suspend him without pay if he is actually available to play. Because the league did it, he is going to lose some money.

If the NHL was really concerned that Avery's comments were detrimental to the league, then the NHL should have done everything possible to minimize media coverage and not have worried whether or not Avery would lose money. I might be wrong, but Avery won't lose any money until the league hands out a punishment at this hearing scheduled with Bettman and you can be sure that the NHLPA will protest any suspension.