Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

troy

Avery suspended

I don't believe that the team can suspend him without pay if he is actually available to play. Because the league did it, he is going to lose some money.

If the NHL was really concerned that Avery's comments were detrimental to the league, then the NHL should have done everything possible to minimize media coverage and not have worried whether or not Avery would lose money. I might be wrong, but Avery won't lose any money until the league hands out a punishment at this hearing scheduled with Bettman and you can be sure that the NHLPA will protest any suspension.

Does anyone have a list of who all the team reps are for the NHLPA. Why do I think that Komisarek and Stoll are both team reps....might not bode well for Avery's chances of PA support *L*

TSN has done this story now on "Sportscentre"..."That's Hockey"...During the pregame of the Habs game and at both intermissions. Suspended or not...Avery got what he wanted:

AttentionWhore.jpg

BuffaloKing, my point is the words that Avery used "sloppy seconds" are so inappropriate that a respectable person wouldn't use them. Avery picked those words to disrespect and degrade Dion, Elisha and anybody else that may be dating on of his ex-girlfriends.

Every time one of these topics comes up on this site I just shake my head. It's as if MSH consists solely of respectable stand up hockey players who are pure class, never said taken a cheap shot, never chirped somebody, lady byng every year. It's the dumbest argument I have ever heard, if you've never layed a chirp on someone in a hockey game, before the game, after the game or any other time in relation to hockey I would have a hard time believing you have ever played any hockey higher than beer league. I don't care what you think of it, or if you don't like it, it's part of the game. It gets guys of their game. What you don't understand is when you are playing a high-competitive level of hockey this stuff actually makes a difference. Go ahead and be Mr. Respect and say it doesn't but if you truly believe that you don't know the game....it's not even about making the other guy angry. Its the fact that when you are on the ice, they will be aware of it, they will know you are their and they WILL try and hit you that extra bit harder, and this creates more oppurtunities for the other players. As far as the media part....who cares? I refuse to believe that this type of thing is bad for the league. The fact is people who have an image of a bunch of punks in the league are not going to stop having it until their is no fighting, which is never going to happen. All this does is make people want to watch. It brings attention to the sport, it brings rivalries which people love. They do this in every major sport....NFL players run their mouths, for christ sake NASCAR drivers run their mouths. Its such a juvenile thing to be upset or bothered by. Again, I mean I understand if you have never played a competitive level, or something I could see how you can't relate to this, but even still I'd like to think you are smart enough to realize their just words.

I agree totally with sweetblazer....Pretty much everyone here has "acted inappropriatly" as some would here would say, at some point or another....Avery is a big boy, the NHL is scared, and the situation would have been handled on the ice like it should have....

And to all the uptight people on this site, who just cant stand to hear someone say something funny, kiss my sloppy slapshots....lol

Not even quoting that drivel.

So, I should forgive the players who called me a nigger while I was playing competitively because they were merely trying to create opportunity for their teammates.

Thanks, I've been waiting for this explanation for a long time.

BuffaloKing, my point is the words that Avery used "sloppy seconds" are so inappropriate that a respectable person wouldn't use them. Avery picked those words to disrespect and degrade Dion, Elisha and anybody else that may be dating on of his ex-girlfriends.

Every time one of these topics comes up on this site I just shake my head. It's as if MSH consists solely of respectable stand up hockey players who are pure class, never said taken a cheap shot, never chirped somebody, lady byng every year. It's the dumbest argument I have ever heard, if you've never layed a chirp on someone in a hockey game, before the game, after the game or any other time in relation to hockey I would have a hard time believing you have ever played any hockey higher than beer league. I don't care what you think of it, or if you don't like it, it's part of the game. It gets guys of their game. What you don't understand is when you are playing a high-competitive level of hockey this stuff actually makes a difference. Go ahead and be Mr. Respect and say it doesn't but if you truly believe that you don't know the game....it's not even about making the other guy angry. Its the fact that when you are on the ice, they will be aware of it, they will know you are their and they WILL try and hit you that extra bit harder, and this creates more oppurtunities for the other players. As far as the media part....who cares? I refuse to believe that this type of thing is bad for the league. The fact is people who have an image of a bunch of punks in the league are not going to stop having it until their is no fighting, which is never going to happen. All this does is make people want to watch. It brings attention to the sport, it brings rivalries which people love. They do this in every major sport....NFL players run their mouths, for christ sake NASCAR drivers run their mouths. Its such a juvenile thing to be upset or bothered by. Again, I mean I understand if you have never played a competitive level, or something I could see how you can't relate to this, but even still I'd like to think you are smart enough to realize their just words.

I've never resorted to talking trash about somebody's family. Maybe I haven't played at a level of competition where it's perfectly acceptable to destroy your own reputation with vulgar words but I will chirp a guy but I keep it at a level where I can still look the guy in the eye after the game and shake his hand, have a beer and share a laugh. Besides, I was alway told that you should let your play do the talking!!!

brett hull and chris chelios have always been outspoken but they have done so with in the lines. the only one outside the lines was when chelios said something about bettman during the lockout. brett hull during his last year in detroit avoided the media by hiding in the training room. both of them have picked when to say something and when not to.

could it be a relection on avery that these are his exs. maybe he was why they broke up and he wantedto get back at them?

JR- I clearly stated chirping in hockey. That is obviously a word that should never be said in life as a whole. It is a completely different argument to compare a word used to refer negatively to an entire population of people , then a couple of words referring to a an ex-girlfriend.

Noodle- First of all they weren't vulgar words. Second that does not destroy your reputation as a human being to say those things, maybe as someone who is always respectful. Lastly, you need to get it through your head that it isn't his family...its his girlfriend. Its not as if said he had sex with his 18 year old daughter.....he actually did bang her before him...he is pointing out a fact in a way that will annoy Phaneuf.

Why can't the league give Mr. Avery a handgun and a pair of ill-fitting sweatpants and wait for the problem to resolve itself?

Really, though. The guy is a classless waste of sperm, but calling somebody's girlfriend sloppy seconds is about 1/9347th as bad as what passes through the NFL news cycle on a daily basis.

If everybody just ignored his garbage, he'd lose whatever edge he has and he'd be out of the league in no time. He's not particularly skilled as a player or a fighter, and I don't think anybody would sign him just to keep his ass up in the press box so he could talk this nonsense around the beat writers for a few million a year.

From Dictionary.com

vul·gar /ˈvʌlgər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[vuhl-ger] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective

1. characterized by ignorance of or lack of good breeding or taste: vulgar ostentation.

2. indecent; obscene; lewd: a vulgar work; a vulgar gesture.

3. crude; coarse; unrefined: a vulgar peasant.

4. of, pertaining to, or constituting the ordinary people in a society: the vulgar masses.

5. current; popular; common: a vulgar success; vulgar beliefs.

6. spoken by, or being in the language spoken by, the people generally; vernacular: vulgar tongue.

7. lacking in distinction, aesthetic value, or charm; banal; ordinary: a vulgar painting.

it's one way to win and beat your opponent with class then to chirp and craptalk your way to victory.

i.e. detroit red wings

i'm all for the nhl shutting this fool up. what he said was demeaning and had nothing to do with the game. and the way he made the comment on camera, his facial expressions goes to show this idiot has no regard or respect for anyone but himself.

Noodle- First of all they weren't vulgar words.

I think JR was talking about hockey. I've heard every slur in the book at hockey to try and get under someone's skin and distract their play- There was a guy playing with us that called all women "cunt" on the ice until one cup checked him.

It's a vulgar phrase if you want to get technical, and it's nothing a professional athlete should say to a tv camera for all the little kids to hear.

JR- I clearly stated chirping in hockey. That is obviously a word that should never be said in life as a whole. It is a completely different argument to compare a word used to refer negatively to an entire population of people , then a couple of words referring to a an ex-girlfriend.

Noodle- First of all they weren't vulgar words. Second that does not destroy your reputation as a human being to say those things, maybe as someone who is always respectful. Lastly, you need to get it through your head that it isn't his family...its his girlfriend. Its not as if said he had sex with his 18 year old daughter.....he actually did bang her before him...he is pointing out a fact in a way that will annoy Phaneuf.

Single? I think most considers a GF just as untouchable as a sister, mother, daughter or any other family member when it comes to slurs or inappropriate comments.

Not vulgar? maybe not in the locker room with the guys, but calling a girl "sloppy seconds" ain't gonna be good for anybody. I know some girls who would kick some ass if they were referred to as "sloppy seconds"

Drewhunz is around the Stars quite a bit...I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in on this yet. Have the rest of the players had it with Avery, the way you are lead to believe by Turco's comments/expression.

Tomorrow should be fun. I'll be there right around the time Avery gets into Dallas. Hicks has already confirmed he will be at the facility.

Avery really took his 'Marketing of Hero's and Villain's' quote to another level with these pre-planned comments. But I think he also proved his point he knows to market the NHL better than the NHL does. I mean, we are talking about it and I am sure you'll turn on Sportscenter and the lead stories will be this and Plaxico.

I'd give anything to be in Avery's hearing with Bettman whenever it takes place. I can almost guarantee Avery is going to look at Gary Bettman and say somthing along these lines, "My comments were not out of line. I gave that speech to help the league market itself. Listen Gary, its called 'Viral Marketing' and it can help create a buzz for the league...."

FREE SEAN AVERY!

So, I should forgive the players who called me a nigger while I was playing competitively because they were merely trying to create opportunity for their teammates.

We aren't even talking about an on ice incident with what Avery did today!

However, JR your incident reminds me of what may or may not have happened between Laraque and Avery a few years ago.

But more to the topic, today was an obvious and ill conceived publicity stunt. Avery has crossed the line before, though I don't believe this incident alone was worthy of a suspension.

Add up all his bonehead moves though and then you have something.

I'm not saying forgive, Racism is a hot topic right now in this country and is further being driven by the misinformed who think Pres. Obama is african american(which of course he is not entirely, 50% african american,50% white) Racism is far from dead in this country on both sides of the fence, white, and black. Both races are equally liable right now in society for continually driving racism.....Let me give you my own point of view.

I went to a predominately black high school and played basketball 4 years, started 3 years on varsity. I was way undersized 5'5 but worked hard and could shoot lights out 3's....I cant tell you how many times I had to endure honky, cracker,wannabe,little white boy,etc, and this was coming from jelous people from my school, when we played away I got the same stares and jeers from opposing fans and players, simply because I was white....My team mates were awsome, accepting, and never once was my race or their race an issue....I will admit, I felt uncompfortable going to school and being the only white person in the gym, but by my senior year it was not an issue and I felt completly at home.....My point is Im not saying forgive them because they called you a nigger, thats their problem and I know you were offended by it, Im just saying I went through the same things, it hurt just as much, yet honkey, cracker some how to society dont seem as bad as nigger, and I understand due to the origin of the word...But I leaned to forgive it and let it fuel me.....Words are words and thats it....Its your choice if you choose to hear them.....

Just wanted to give you the other side of your view JR...

You guys are the reason the radio station bleeps out "beat up" in music these days. You are too sensitive. It's not that vulgar at all in my opinion.

Radio, i'll just point out the attempt to chirp me by saying "single". Should MSH discipline you? No. It is not that same thing. It's not.

JR- That is unfortunate and I can say that in my entire career I have never heard something like that and am glad. The fact is it isn't the same thing. And something like that should be disciplined.

Noodle- Its clear that you are a different kind of person then I am used to talking or dealing with, especially through the PM i just got. I don't even know what to say to you anymore.

I'm excited to see what Dion says about this, if he hasn't already, because I have a hard time believing that he really cares.

I'm not saying forgive, Racism is a hot topic right now in this country and is further being driven by the misinformed who think Pres. Obama is african american(which of course he is not entirely, 50% african american,50% white) Racism is far from dead in this country on both sides of the fence, white, and black. Both races are equally liable right now in society for continually driving racism.....Let me give you my own point of view.

I went to a predominately black high school and played basketball 4 years, started 3 years on varsity. I was way undersized 5'5 but worked hard and could shoot lights out 3's....I cant tell you how many times I had to endure honky, cracker,wannabe,little white boy,etc, and this was coming from jelous people from my school, when we played away I got the same stares and jeers from opposing fans and players, simply because I was white....My team mates were awsome, accepting, and never once was my race or their race an issue....I will admit, I felt uncompfortable going to school and being the only white person in the gym, but by my senior year it was not an issue and I felt completly at home.....My point is Im not saying forgive them because they called you a nigger, thats their problem and I know you were offended by it, Im just saying I went through the same things, it hurt just as much, yet honkey, cracker some how to society dont seem as bad as nigger, and I understand due to the origin of the word...But I leaned to forgive it and let it fuel me.....Words are words and thats it....Its your choice if you choose to hear them.....

Just wanted to give you the other side of your view JR...

Oh, I'm completely fine with it. At this point I was just comparing it to your response about in-game tactics. It was something hateful said in a game in order to rile me up. Did it work? No.

But Avery has been a repeat offender and that's why he was suspended. Really that simple.

Radio, i'll just point out the attempt to chirp me by saying "single". Should MSH discipline you? No. It is not that same thing. It's not.

I was just wondering if you were single...thanks for clarifying. Your comment that GF's aren't family made me wonder. How is that chirping????

If you have a GF and her ex comes up to you and goes "Hey man, enjoying my sloppy seconds?" How you gonna react?

I was just questioning your comment that Avery wasn't vulgar, and GF isn't family.