Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kvnwos

new cup

i took a shot today in the nuts and it wasnt pretty. i know i need a new cup because mines just not protective enough. any suggestions on what to get?

ive heard that the combo of a normal cup, like a shock doctor as well as a goalie jock works very well to make a double cup (more effective the Epic jock). I have no idea how its better, but thats just what I've heard from a couple other tenders.

That's exactly what I advise. Don't get some monstrous double-cup jock: get a pair of compression shorts with a cup and wear that under your goalie jock. This ensures that even if your goal jock shifts (which can be a big problem, depending on fit), you're still covered; and if it doesn't, you've got a giant shock absorber (hard foam--cup--soft foam--air gap--cup in your shorts) between you and the puck.

I've been wearing the same low-profile D&R jock for years now, and been royally tagged a few times to little effect. It's all about the TRUE double-cup rig.

Trust me - it'll be a big improvement, and far less bulky than any off-the-rack double-cup goalie jock on the market.

I'm impressed that he took the hit like that. I could have a plexiglass wall in front of my stuff, but if i see a big freaking hammer coming at my boys, i'm gonna flinch.

same thing as law goalie... you can buy a double cup, but personally i have found that the tight compression shorts with a cup underneath an even half decent goalie jock will do the job. just try to get a goalie jock with a decent amount of forward foam to deaden the blow to the protected region as much as possible

The other thing to stress is the need to find a jock that works with your pants. I tried on an RBK double-cup inside my Bauer Reactors - total nightmare. It was like wearing a corset (or so I inferred). Then I tried an Eagle Double: it drifted off about six inches to the side at one point. Tried a Brown 2000 - no problems. Went back to my old D&R when I got home - almost as good. A jock may feel just fine in the store over your jeans or slacks (I'm assuming nobody wears a suit to try on jocks), but get it inside your goalie pants and it may be a nightmare.

And, of course, you need to check it with your pants to make sure there aren't any holes in coverage. For example: Velocity + Brown 2000 jock = fine; Epic + Brown 2000 jock = broken pelvis.

Generally speaking, if you stay within the same brand & model (Velocity with Velocity, Epic with Epic, RBK with RBK/CCM, etc.) you'll be alright - PROVIDED that you look the overall fit and performance of both. As ever, you'll get the best possible rig if you mix and match, but it takes a while to figure out.