Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

The "Holy Crap, Did You See That Goal?" Thread

I guess Omark was ballsy. It would also have been ballsy if he had done it wearing a hat and sunglasses, so it's stuff that's more appropriate during an all-star break. Doing the spin-o-rama miles away from the goalie (which the majority of hockey players can do, amateurs included) didn't help to fake out the goalie, or show any skill (except maybe to people who can't skate). The first thing that came to mind when I saw it was, "What's the point?" Maybe he should learn to do a double axel at the start of his shootouts. That would add still more personality to the sport.

Edit: The thought just occured to me. They were already up 1 goal in the shootout with only 1 player left to go on each team. The odds were very much in his favor that he wouldn't cost the team a win if he didn't score. The shootout would just have resumed with them still being a goal ahead in the shootout. So to say that he had balls to do it is somewhat of an overstatement. Would he have done the same thing if he was the last of all shooters and needed the goal to tie the shootout? Now that would have taken real balls.

P.S. The goal in the video that Hidious posted just above: that's pure genious!

If Mikko's pattern is anything like Saku's it might as well be RH.

You can see in the replay that it has a pretty good heel wedge to Koivu's stick.

Here's the Wild feed who picked it up as soon as the stick switcheroo happened:

I know his bro has a flat heel to mid and then a mild closed toe. From that video it's impossible to tell what kind of curve Mikko uses, and whether it'd be flat enough on the back hand of the sweet spot to be shot as a righty.

this isn't really a "holy crap" moment but still a nice one by jay beagle

needs moar replay! (i youtubed it anyway, haha)

very nice goal. reminds me of Malkin vs. the Canes in the playoffs two years ago.

(Let me preface this by saying it's not just because I am a Habs fan that I hold this opinion)

But...I thought in a penalty shot or shootout attempt, the player had to continue forward momentum? When Stamkos spun last night, he essetially STOPS his forward motion and then shoots!

The spin at the blueline that Omark did a few weeks back is a spin, moving forward, but in all these top of the crease spins:

PM Boushard, St. Louis, Blake, Grabovski, Subban did it in the AHL last year...They all pretty much stop first then shoot.

Mac T said the same thing last night on the TSN panel.

Call it sour grapes if you want...I was out last night, and by the highlights I saw....Tampa was owning Montreal before and after that goal...so the outcome was not in question...but really?!?!?! Why is that allowed?

Rule 24.2

The spin-o-rama type move where the player completes a 360° turn as he approaches the goal, shall be permitted as this involves continuous motion

I can see both sides, it did appear he stopped. But my guess is they are saying that 'stop' was in the course of changing directions to complete the spin-o-rama, making it a legal play.

i dont have a problem with the stopping - but im starting to think they shouldn't allow the goal if the player makes contact with the goalie

in some of those the player's skates end up going into the goalies leg pads and contribute to him losing his balance

i dont have a problem with the stopping - but im starting to think they shouldn't allow the goal if the player makes contact with the goalie

in some of those the player's skates end up going into the goalies leg pads and contribute to him losing his balance

I agree, and I've been saying the same for a couple years.

This was from the U17 World Challenge a couple of days ago, the Forsberg move. I saw this on TSN but when I checked YouTube, there were just two videos from people who were there.

What makes this amazing to me is that this kid, Matthew Campanga, is 16 years old, playing in front of 12,000 people, and this goal is to put the game away (it was 4-3, and the 4th Canadian/Ontario goal was also quite good) and win the championship.

This link shows the goal from several views, but gives you an idea of how loud it was in the arena.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA-tReVQOFY