Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Harris

Home Repairs

Annnnnnd there goes the water softener... House came with a Culligan Mark 100, it's 17 years old and apparently not worth repairing per the tech. Comparable replacement through Culligan is around $2K. Looking at Clack or Kinectico as possible replacements- Anybody have experience with this stuff? Looks like on demand as opposed to timed would be the way to go for efficiency and cost?

I have Kinetico. It has been problem-free for over 6 years. The bypass valve works properly in case you need to shut off water to your house, replace the filter, etc.

Had a fire in my furnace this weekend -- electrical short was the cause -- and it burned up the control unit, all the valves, and of course, the wiring harness. AC has been out for 6 days with highs in the low 90s and an infant in the house.

I'm thankful:

1) the gas line didn't add to the fire, and

2) we renewed the home warranty last month. All but $400 of the replacement costs covered by UHP.

About two years ago the down spout that goes under our deck came apart before a big storm and the basement closet got flooded, To make matters worse, some mold started growing behind the paneling and drywall. When I found it, I ripped apart the wall to get air on it and left it that way for a while to make sure the problem was permanently resolved. Well, I just spent this past weekend replacing the insulation, drywall and matching the paneling as best I could. Then used an epoxy sealer on the floor and put some shelving back in. Over the years it ended up collecting a ton of junk, so now I'm still sorting through things and deciding what to keep and what to toss. The goal is to toss the majority of it, and doing well on that so far.