Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mickz

Thinking about playing goal

Hey guys, first off I'm new to this part of the forum. I've been playing hockey for many years but I've only strapped on the pads once when I switched gear with my goalie for one ice time.

Anyways, I know as a player starting out I would spend the most on skates, gloves, and helmet, cheap out a bit on everything else and gradually upgrade as I got better.

I understand I'll need a Mask, Chest Protector, Blocker, Catcher, Jock, Pants, Pads, skates and a stick (I don't think I left anything out?) How would you prioritize your gear starting from the more important things (gear I should spend a little bit more on) to ones I can get away with buying cheaper at first (not as important gear like the stick?)

TIA.

Invest in a good mask that is properly fitted. You can skimp on the other stuff without sacrificing protection, but don't go cheap on your head.

If you look back a little, there have been a couple other threads dealing with this that contained some good info. The most recent one was by srv2miker.

There are a few other minor incidentals you'll need to add to that list of yours:

If your C/A (chest/arm protector) has a low or wide-spread collar, you may need to buy a neck/clavicle guard to wear underneath. I'd go with a Maltese Combo.

You'll need some kind of long underwear, compression pants or sweatpants to wear as a base-layer. Hockey socks are OK, but they tend to be annoying as a goalie. Definitely wear a long-sleeved shirt as well.

Generally speaking, it's always better to buy used pro-grade gear than new senior price-point gear. Two reasons: one, if you love it, the pro stuff will play a little better and last FAR longer; two, the resale value of price-point gear is terrible, while with pro gear, you can actually come close to break-even most of the time on resale.

As for prioritising in terms of spending, don't necessarily take what follows as a list of 'what should I spend the most on,' but rather, 'where should I not try to skimp and save a bit.'

1) Mask -- you don't have to spend a ton, but you do have to get something good. You don't have to run out and buy a brand-new Itech 961 (even a used one will typically run about $500 on eBay). Some of the better entry-level masks are the Hackva (they only have one model), and the Sportmask Razor and X8 (newer). The Sportmask Riciochet is a step down, but very good too. Hackva's routinely go on eBay under $300 USD (for white/black); Sportmasks are less common, but you can porbably find them to try on. I would suggest not buying a used mask unless it's in perfect shape and made by an absolutely stellar maker -- you just don't know what it's been through.

2) Skates -- obviously, if you don't have well-fitted skates, you won't enjoy the game from any position. If there's a player-boot you *really* love, you can have it rivetted into a pair of cowlings, provided your LHS has the patience and wherewithall to attempt it (can be kind of tricky). Most goalie skates come with a 30' factory radius, but you can have them profiled to around 24' (which is what Graf uses from the factory) in order to smooth the transition, and work your way up in increments. Similarly, start with a 1/2" hollow and move around from there.

3) C/A -- core-body protection is paramount, but freedom movement equally important. You don't want to feel like the Michelin man. Brown is the gold-standard - custom units of his can run well over $800, but you can find good deals now and then (there's one in the MSH classifieds right now, for example). McKenney is the poor-man's Brown - all but the highest marks for protection and quality at a fraction of the price. Those are really the only two brands I'd consider buying used: foams in C/A's can break down really fast. DO NOT buy a cheap price-point C/A: I've seen ones that were filled with sweepings from the factory floor.

4) Pants/Jock -- this seems like an oddly high priority, but protection is key and a bad pair of goalie pants can really ruin it for you. I'm not saying you should spend more on the pants than on a complete set of pads and gloves, but that you should be prepared to pay more than you'd expect. Also, it's important to buy your pants with your jock so you can be sure they'll mesh well together.

5) Pads & Gloves -- just make sure you spend enough to get good used pro-grade gear. They'll love you back and never lose their value. You can buy the pads and gloves separately, but it's important to get as close to a complete set (at least matching colours) as possible in order to hold that resale value (as look slick on the ice, of course). Trappers vary hugely in feel and construction: try everything you can get your hands on. Blockers are similar variable but not as obviously different.

A few guidelines for buying pads... first, realise that pads have long since ceased to differ in protection. Apart from the cheapest, crappiest price-point offshore stuff (you have no idea what's in there), anything will protect you. Also, don't be too concern about what 'style' of pad you're buying. Whether it calls itself a butterfly pad or a hybrid pad, you're still going to have to learn it from the ground-up. Expect to pay more for RBK and Vaughn than anything else in the pro/used area. You can find decent deals on really well-made pads by Brian's, TPS, Smith, Viper, Vortek and Battram, to name a few.

When sizing pads, the standard measurement is your ankle-to-knee (ATK). To take this, sit in a chair with your knee bent slightly forward, hold a soft tape-measure to the outside of your ankle bone (right in the centre of the bump) and measure up to the centre of your knee-cap, so that the tape-measure wraps around to the front of your leg. A google image search should still yield a pretty good picture of this operation.

6) Stick -- buy wood, and buy it cheaply. There are some 3-packs one eBay right now for less than $50 USD from Majer Hockey. The mistake most people make is buying too tall a paddle, which then screws up their stance and blocker positioning at the crucial early phase of learning. Ideally, you want to be able to hold your stick comfortably with the blade angled roughly like a 3-iron when you're down in the butterfly; that should translate to a good height in your stance. Composite goalie sticks are a waste of money, with one lone and extremely expensive exception (Montreal).

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies so far. Would knee/thigh protectors and a throat dangler also be good investments for a beginner?

Knee-pads absolutely - I can't believe I forgot about that. There are a fair number of pants that come with built-in knee protection these days, but generally you'll need to invest in something there. Well-fitted knee-pads are VASTLY preferable to thigh-boards or any other method of protecting the knees.

Danglers are useless at best, IMO, and actually more dangerous at worst. When they crack, they can really cut you up; on top of that, they restrict vision and can get your head yanked around.

If you get a helmet that fits your head and neck well, and a Maltese Combo neck-guard, you'll be way the hell safer than with a dangler. The key thing to look for in the mask is a chin-drop (that is, how far down from the bottom of the case the mask extends) that is proportional to the length of your neck. If you've got a short neck and a huge chin-drop, the chin of the mask will get stuck in your C/A (which can cause nasty problems) -- if you've got a stork-like neck and a stubby mask chin (like a Van Veldon, a classic Armadilla or a Mage), you're exposing a lot of throat.

Top of the line Itech certified mask; the 961 is a cat-eye version. Decent fibreglass & epoxy resin lay-up with Kevlar patches in the forehead and chin. Bear in mind, 960/1's fit differently as of 2008. Itech used to use two different aspect mouldings: a narrower one for the 960/1, and a wider one for the 9600 and 9601. As of 2008, they discontinued the 9600/1 and re-cast the 960/1 on a slightly wider mould, putting it more or less between the two original fits. There are also suggestions that they're cheaping out on resin a little more recently.

The Itechs you see NHLers wearing, while cosmetically similar, are RARELY the same in construction. Most pro Itechs only have two layers of fibreglass for finishing the outer and inner layers of the mask: the rest is full sheets of Kevlar, with additional patches on chin and forehead. This makes most pro Itechs significantly lighter and stronger (both in terms of durabiility and protection) than a stock retail 960. There are a few oddballs (Carey Price being one of them) who prefer the heavier fibreglass construction, usually because they say it produces less ringing; general consensus is that they're just used to the heavier feel and don't want to change.

Thanks Law Goalie... could you clear out your PM box?

I might have the option to get some older 960, or a Van Veldon... both have been used, and a little on the old side. Everything seems to be inorder, but thats' thru photos.

Any opinions between the two? Or should I get something more current.

Sorry mate.

An older 960 - provided it fits - is a much better investment than a VV. As long as there is no cracking in the shell, no chunks missing from the perimeter (except paint), and no broken welds in the cage, you're fine. It's also basically impossible to get replacement cages for VVs, and it's easy as pie with Itechs.

Cool.... thanks... I'll keep taht in mind.

Got a few contacts for the VV or the 960... $115 shipped for the VV seems like a good deal especially since its coming to me in Perth.

$115 ain't bad at all. The only real issues with VVs were weight, scarcity of cages and manufacturer support, and their propensity to ring when hit hard. Putting some rubber washers between the shell, cage and cage-screws would probably kill most of that.

Ok, the 960/1 is a no go.. too expensive and the padding it pretty bad condition.

Its a toss up now between a NXI Phantom and the VV, both for about the same price. Has anyone heard of an Ollie Ma9900 excel series senior large with cat eye cage. Between the three, which would you get assuming they are all in relatively good condition and the same price.

Stay the hell away from the Olie.

The NXI versus the VV is a win-win. VV's are absolute tanks, but prone to ringing, chipping, overheating, and they weigh a ton: heavy duty fibreglass has its pros and cons. The NXI is a much more polished mask, and because it's so light and the airflow is so good, it's a big favourite of roller goalies. My only concern is that once an NXI starts chipping or cracking, it is TOAST. The good news is that they're almost impossible to chip; the bad news is that because of the way it's molded, it's an all or nothing.

My advice would be the NXI, but I'd check for a couple of things.

First, is there is any chipping at all, anywhere on the NX? If so, it's not worth the risk.

Second, does it have three round holes on a diagonal near the ears, or does it have the letters 'NXI' cut out there? If round holes, it's a much older model.

That is the older model of the Phantom.

Go for it, but you should be absolutely certain of the integrity of the shell (ie. get lots more pictures, especially of the chin and edges) and be aware that the VN foam may have gone hard and may require replacement. It's not AS big a deal with a goalie helmet, since the shell does the vast majority of protection, and the foam's just there for comfort (a good custom mask uses about 1/8" VN or EVA everywhere but the backplate), but old, hard foam needs replacing.

I'll send you a quick PM as well...

Here's a thought... I'm actually working on a trade with someone here in Australia, for some of goalie gear that hasnt really been used much. Most of it looks in good condition, and basically I'm getting:

2 pairs of goalie skates

Tackla goalie pants (or so he claims they are goalie pants)

jock

Boddam C/A

Itech 7.8 Vamp Catcher and Blocker

and a Mazon Goalie helmet (field hockey)

The pics that he sent of the Mazon goalie helmet looks like the mask hasnt been used much... I was thinking of getting the NXI Phantom anyway, and then if the foam is a little hard I could tranplant some of the foam from the Mazon helmet to the Phantom... what do you think? Too much work? Or will it not work at all.

It would take about a week before this gear arrives, and it will be another 2 weeks tops before the NXI arrives. In the meantime I'm borrowing a helmet from one of the goalies here for Sunday training and monday night league.

Law Goalie, thanks for the advice... mickz, sorry for taking over your thread.

You could certainly do that. You can also order VN foam from Nash sports for peanuts, and it costs nothing to ship.

No worries.

Would RBK 6k pads be a waste of money? Would CCM U+ and one95s fit the same in a Goalie skate as they do in a player?

sorry to hijack the thread... all the gear I mentioned in the previous post arrived, and in very good shape. Add a Van Veldon helmet to that, and everything is for sale.

For those who dont know, I busted my knee up a few weeks ago (not hockey related), and dont think I'll get to play in goals. If anyone is interested, let me know.

After debating between playing goal or not I think I've decided to slowly accumulate my gear and one day having everything to play on ice. We're starting intramural floor hockey next month and we're still without a goaltender so this might be my excuse to pick up the Blocker, Trapper, Mask and maybe pads as well. I don't want to get stuck with a set of street hockey goalie gear after intramurals so I might as well spend the money on some decent ice gear now.

Mask - What does everybody think about the Itech Envy 7/Bauer NME 7? I've narrowed it down to the Envy 7 and the SportMask Riccochet since they look the most appealing in my price range and they're both CSA approved.

As for the blocker and trapper I've been looking at Goalie combos on Hockey Monkey and I'm wondering if you guys would consider any of these for a beginner goalie. I would love to buy the best gear but at the same time I have to watch my wallet.

I was also unsure about the pad sizing. I took some measurements online and it looks like I'll be best suited for something around 31" (I'm around 5' 8" to 5' 9" tall if that makes a difference.) I'm debating whether I should buy an INT. or SR. set of goalie gear.

Choice 1: Int. RBK 8K Turco Break http://goaliemonkey.com/rbk-goalie-equipme...-turco-int.html

Choice 2: Sr. RBK 6K http://goaliemonkey.com/rbk-goalie-equipme...k-turco-sr.html

Choice 3: Sr. Vaughn Epic 8606 http://goaliemonkey.com/vaughn-goalie-equi...bo-8606-sr.html

Choice 4: Int. RBK Premier II http://goaliemonkey.com/rbk-goalie-equipme...ier-ii-int.html

The RBK 6K are the cheapest out of the 4 choices and that makes them rather tempting. I can only safely assume choice 3 and choice 4 are going to be a higher quality pad based on price alone but are the 6/8Ks garbage? If I can get away with using 6 or 8Ks I'll probably pick them up. Otherwise I might consider shelling out the money for a higher end set since I don't want to buy a crap set and have to buy another set a few weeks later.

Thanks guys.

I'm somewhat in the same boat. I've played goal here and there but all the times I've done it I've been using wrong handed stuff (I'm full right). For me, it's just a matter of time before I can afford to get some gloves and a stick.

do NOT get the itech envy 7! it is a bad helmet honestly. it cracks like no other too. me and another goalie i know have one and his chin is about to fall off the mask because it cracked.

i am also 5'9" so i would get a bigger set of pads. i wear 36". but it also depends if your going to play the butterfly style or not. by the looks of your gear that you might purchase id say your going for a butterfly style. you dont want something to small because its a pain to close the five hole.