Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nphockey21

Helmet Sticker/Certificate

Just wondering if warranty is void if the round certified stickers are removed from helmets. I purchased 2 new 9500s in red and in white. I need to add team, league, and number stickers, so just wondering if i could remove them to make more space. I also considered covering the stickers with electrical tape but it would be way more convenient to just remove them. Thanks.

If you remove the certification stickers, the helmet is no longer certified and the warranty is done

How long is the warranty good for and how often major brand helmets break? I always remove any stickers from my helmets. Another thing if for some reason your league requires a current certified helmet.

I worked at CSA for a while. The presence of the sticker has not impact on any warranty. All it says, is that the helmet is certified. There is no kind of warranty attached to that.

Given the fact that pretty much all the helmets you can buy nowadays are certified anyways, the sticker being there or not really doesn't mean anything.

I worked at CSA for a while. The presence of the sticker has not impact on any warranty. All it says, is that the helmet is certified. There is no kind of warranty attached to that.

Given the fact that pretty much all the helmets you can buy nowadays are certified anyways, the sticker being there or not really doesn't mean anything.

But if you add new stickers or decals it can technically void the warranty if something happens. They want "approved" adhesives and definitely no paint.

But if you add new stickers or decals it can technically void the warranty if something happens. They want "approved" adhesives and definitely no paint.

That is because the glue in the sticker can potentially affect the plastic shell of the helmet that is why a added sticker unless certified will void certification.

The CSA certification does not have any warranty linked to it. You can't claim anything from them if you hurt your head playing hockey and wearing a certified helmet.

All it says is: 'A helmet of this type has been tested and passed our tests'....that's it.

That is because the glue in the sticker can potentially affect the plastic shell of the helmet that is why a added sticker unless certified will void certification.

The CSA certification does not have any warranty linked to it. You can't claim anything from them if you hurt your head playing hockey and wearing a certified helmet.

All it says is: 'A helmet of this type has been tested and passed our tests'....that's it.

Better check updated CSA info. Also check Hockey Canada and Hockey USA rules. I would also double check with the manufactures.

The helmet sticker (white one- with date stamp on it) on my bucket is ripping/tearing apart. What can I do to ensure it won't fade away or tear so quickly? It seems every helmet I've had always had that particular helmet certificate rip apart.

Put it in a helmet bag of pillow case when it's in your bag. There's no way those will get torn up during play.

Put it in a helmet bag of pillow case when it's in your bag. There's no way those will get torn up during play.

lmao! i cant believe i havent done that. i did it in the beginning and forgot about it one day and never thought twice about it. thx. also wanted to add it gets unbelievably damp/wet after ive been on the ice, so when i would dap it with a dry towel it started becoming loose and would shred away:S

lmao! i cant believe i havent done that. i did it in the beginning and forgot about it one day and never thought twice about it. thx. also wanted to add it gets unbelievably damp/wet after ive been on the ice, so when i would dap it with a dry towel it started becoming loose and would shred away:S

The sticker will eventually wear on its own from moisture no matter how well you take care of the helmet. The adhesive will slowly deteriorate and the sticker will fade off. As stated above in the thread, the sticker is meaningless unless you alter the helmet, I don't see why a lot of people are concerned over it.

The sticker will eventually wear on its own from moisture no matter how well you take care of the helmet. The adhesive will slowly deteriorate and the sticker will fade off. As stated above in the thread, the sticker is meaningless unless you alter the helmet, I don't see why a lot of people are concerned over it.

You're still required to prove that it is certified if there is any question.

The only time I've ever had an issue with having no cert. stickers on my helmet (I've taken them off since I was like 10) is when/if I try to sell the helmet to Play It Again Sports, and they took it anyway. I've seen a lot of cheap equipment rules get enforced, but never have I seen a ref enforce a cert. sticker rule in 15 years of playing hockey.

The only time I've ever had an issue with having no cert. stickers on my helmet (I've taken them off since I was like 10) is when/if I try to sell the helmet to Play It Again Sports, and they took it anyway. I've seen a lot of cheap equipment rules get enforced, but never have I seen a ref enforce a cert. sticker rule in 15 years of playing hockey.

As an official, I've never personally taken issue with a skater who has a helmet which is clearly HECC approved but lacks the sticker. I've seen other officials send a skater off, but only in a case where the player wanted to wear a helmet that was unsafe (either a Jofa of the Gretzky variety, or in another case a Cooper 3000 that looked to be 15 years old and was taped together).

If the model is more than three years old, it may have an expired certification and you can bet that a lawyer will be sure to hold you responsible for not checking should something happen.

Chadd is bang on here. An official can, and should, always be checking for that sort of thing.

In 10 years of reffing, I've never called it, but I have been called on it once. The sticker was faded due to wear, so I wasn't allowed to use the bucket, so I just switched to another.

If the model is more than three years old, it may have an expired certification and you can bet that a lawyer will be sure to hold you responsible for not checking should something happen.

you really think so? i highly doubt it. i'm not a lawyer and ofcourse there are always ridiculous lawsuits that are won, but wouldn't the responsibility/blame be on the person (or parent) wearing the helmet? its not as if there is a gear inspection session prior to each game that would give the ref proper time to verify every player's equipment. therefore i think the ref could only be blamed if it could be proven that he knew the helmet was in violation and decided not to do anything about it....pretty hard to prove

you really think so? i highly doubt it. i'm not a lawyer and ofcourse there are always ridiculous lawsuits that are won, but wouldn't the responsibility/blame be on the person (or parent) wearing the helmet? its not as if there is a gear inspection session prior to each game that would give the ref proper time to verify every player's equipment. therefore i think the ref could only be blamed if it could be proven that he knew the helmet was in violation and decided not to do anything about it....pretty hard to prove

Not to be a dink, but in our f'ed up society, it has almost become the expectation that others are responsible for our actions and that in a case like the above, it would be in the official's hands.

i believe chadd is speaking of the respondent's council eg. the brand/insurance company/player you sue when you suffer a head injury wearing a helmet that is not certified due to modification or expiration.

Helmet certification sticker will have date of expiration 5 years from date of manufacture, not 3.

I was reading the USA hockey rule book and rule 304(b) isn't exactly clear on whether or not the certification sticker has to be on the players helmet. It says it just has to be a certified helemet. So any one want to clarify?

Modifying the helmet voids the certification. Removing the stickers and/or ear guards(for that matter) is considered modifying the helmet.

Helmet certification sticker will have date of expiration 5 years from date of manufacture, not 3.

Thanks for clarifying that. It is suggested that you replace it no more than every three years, but the certification is good for five years.