Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$m0k3

Indoor or Outdoor Wheel?

Just curious when buying skates, how do you tell the difference?

If you buy wheels that are made for indoor are they going to get torn up quick if i just use them for street?

The difference is the hardness rating on the side of the wheel, every wheel pretty much says 3 things on them, the make/model, the hardness rating and the size (hint: higher number is harder, harder is better for outdoor).

If you use outdoor wheels indoor, you wont be able to stop.

If you use indoor wheels outdoor and you drag your foot to stop, you'll need to buy new wheels within a week if parts don't fall off in chunks. Currently I cant think of a hockey roller boot that isnt sold with indoor wheels on them, you'll most likely have to buy a set.

there are boots that come with outdoor wheels just not high end models. If you want a high end boot then ya your out of luck and will have to buy a new set of wheels. i guess you could sell the indoor wheels though cause most high end boots come with really nice wheels

Just throwing this out there... for someone on a budget that can only afford one good pair of skates... what would be a good choice of wheels (if there is such a thing) that could be good indoor and outdoor ?

Just throwing this out there... for someone on a budget that can only afford one good pair of skates... what would be a good choice of wheels (if there is such a thing) that could be good indoor and outdoor ?

The only set of wheels I've ever owned that held up both indoor and outdoor is the labeda grippers. Although they probably won't hold up on asphalt, but they work great on the painted concrete that most of my outdoor rinks have

So if i was to buy any Bauer inline skates, they would all come with indoor wheels that can't be used outdoor?

Im looking at the Mega 6000 series , XVR's or Supremes kind of range.

I'm not sure about those skates, but unless you're completely sold on getting something from Bauer you might want to check out the Mission BSX and the CCM Vector 02, both of them come with outdoor wheels.

I'd say it depends on what you're going to play more, and how hard you're going to be playing out doors. If you're just practicing out doors and not really skating hard and the surface your playing on is relatively clean and smooth, you could get away with using the indoor wheels. Also you have to factor your weight in - i'm a pretty heavy guy (around 240 ATM) and the indoor wheels i had got torn up pretty badly after a few weeks (of course, the rink we play on blows.. the ground is cracked, theres broken glass scattered over one half, and the other half has a bunch of cracks. very fun).

All in all, if you're mostly going to play outdoors, i'd suggest the Rinkrat world cup wheels. I'm currently using them and they've held up fine so far. Before these i had the hotshot wheels which also held up for a pretty good period of time. the fact that i've finally stopped dragging one foot to stop/slow down is probably pretty helpful, though. lol. Should mention that i've been using the the world cups a few times a week for about a month now, maybe longer?

I'm not sure about those skates, but unless you're completely sold on getting something from Bauer you might want to check out the Mission BSX and the CCM Vector 02, both of them come with outdoor wheels.

Mega 6000 series come with indoor wheels, ill look at those skates thanks.

I'd say it depends on what you're going to play more, and how hard you're going to be playing out doors. If you're just practicing out doors and not really skating hard and the surface your playing on is relatively clean and smooth, you could get away with using the indoor wheels. Also you have to factor your weight in - i'm a pretty heavy guy (around 240 ATM) and the indoor wheels i had got torn up pretty badly after a few weeks (of course, the rink we play on blows.. the ground is cracked, theres broken glass scattered over one half, and the other half has a bunch of cracks. very fun).

All in all, if you're mostly going to play outdoors, i'd suggest the Rinkrat world cup wheels. I'm currently using them and they've held up fine so far. Before these i had the hotshot wheels which also held up for a pretty good period of time. the fact that i've finally stopped dragging one foot to stop/slow down is probably pretty helpful, though. lol. Should mention that i've been using the the world cups a few times a week for about a month now, maybe longer?

Which hardness were those wheels? I'm just starting to playing roller after playing ice the last year so not too sure about equipment stuff yet. I'm pretty heavy as well and my LHS put on 74A wheels for me. Would those be too soft? I'll be playing strictly indoor. Not sure the condition of the surface but I don't think there will be cracks or glass (I hope) :/