Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Roadtripped with my wifey to SLC and I performed a buddy's wedding.  We travel all the time with our girls for hockey, it's nice to be husband and wife some times.

I really like visiting Utah, nice people, great scenery.  I don't ever want to leave MT, but our neighbors are nice!

• Like 1

Yesterday my younger son graduated high school.  He was class president and as a result led the graduation ceremony.  He led everyone in, introduced everyone and gave a speech representing the class.  We had VIP seats in the first row.  It was maybe the best day of my life.  He was incredible - and I am not just saying that because he is my son.  He was poised, in command of the situation and funny.  I don't know how someone who is only 18 can do that.  I am beyond proud and humbled.

• Like 13

New job is great so far*. I like the people I work with, the benefits are amazing (seriously, how often do you see places that have pensions in 2016?) and it's a 15 minute commute. No more flying all over the goddamn place.

* Except for the laptop they gave me, but that's more for another "more whining than actually venting" post that I'll just not bother making. 

22 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

Yesterday my younger son graduated high school.  He was class president and as a result led the graduation ceremony.  He led everyone in, introduced everyone and gave a speech representing the class.  We had VIP seats in the first row.  It was maybe the best day of my life.  He was incredible - and I am not just saying that because he is my son.  He was poised, in command of the situation and funny.  I don't know how someone who is only 18 can do that.  I am beyond proud and humbled.

Outstanding! Although obviously for selfish reasons I wish he'd have chosen Michigan, but I am sure he will do a kick ass job at Vassar. 

2 hours ago, chippa13 said:

His mother must be a phenomenal person.

You have to be phenomenal to land a marriage with the captain of the LI Lightning, 

• Like 3

Played in an end of season tourney the 2nd weekend in may, ice went back in at our local indoor rink on Sunday. 
I hadn't played for a mere 5+ weeks, but dayum, it felt good to be back.  Lungs were burning, heart is happy.

I need to do some interval workouts.

Our game was "live" on facebook.  Not a particularly exciting game to watch, but the commentary was humorous, especially if you know the personalites on and off the ice.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/353268981496173/657430754413326/?ref=notif&notif_t=group_livestream_activity&notif_id=1467249884831313

I'm #11 white (super tall guy, white helmet, white/blue/yellow socks).  I've never seen myself on video before....I'm nothing special, but I honestly think I look better than I thought I would  haha.

• Like 2

Two nights, two teams, two 1 goal wins...  I'll take it!  Now having a bourbon and coke and savoring victories & starting a 4 day weekend.

• Like 2

Brag Alert!!!

first game of the summer season

Son pitched the first inning from 2 steps inside the rubber and was actually throwing some good hard strikes.

At bat 4-4 ...he hit one into the gap and touched them all ...

1st career homerun!

• Like 6

As of yesterday, I've been working as an EMT for one full year.  (technically I began orientation on my birthday last year, but the 13th was the day of my first shift on a truck.)  :biggrin:

• Like 4

I scored more goals last night (2) in our summer league game than I did in all of my spring B league (1).  Our team won 3-2 and the case of beer!

Time for another 10-month slump.  haha

• Like 6

Team won last night against our bitter rivals, putting us in the championship for the second season in a row. I hated not being on the ice but I was happy to be there. 

I had planned on suiting up for the championship, even as a skater, and sitting on the bench for the game but unfortunately I don't think that's likely at this point. The guys I'm sure would be more than happy to help me out there but I'd prefer to walk out there on my own. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OptimusReim said:

Team won last night against our bitter rivals, putting us in the championship for the second season in a row. I hated not being on the ice but I was happy to be there. 

I had planned on suiting up for the championship, even as a skater, and sitting on the bench for the game but unfortunately I don't think that's likely at this point. The guys I'm sure would be more than happy to help me out there but I'd prefer to walk out there on my own. 

Put on a sweet suite and stand their stone faced like a BAMF coach!

• Like 1

Scored again tonight. It's the same goalie that subbed for the team we played against last week. I pretty much score the same way I did last week. I sure know how to make a dude look like a scrub lol

• Like 3

So I've been on a 5 year hiatus from playing hockey after an ankle injury, and when I got hurt I was at a pretty novice level. To ease back into the game, I bought some new skates and paid for an 8-week "Adult Hockey 101" session.

Well, when I signed up, there were supposed to be 2 other people in the session with me; however, 3 weeks in and they've both been no-shows. Turns out one guy got injured outside of hockey, and the other never paid, so essentially I'm getting 8 weeks of 1-hour private hockey instruction at a huge discount compared to what private lessons would be. 

• Like 5

Back to back champs!! We had a strong start, 8-1 to start the season. Then a weak second half, going 3-8 with two of those wins in a shootout. Won the last game of the season, beat our bitter rivals in the semis, and won 4-3 in the finals. Sadly, I was not on the ice for most of the last half or either playoff game. I still made sure to get to every game though.

After the game was over and the championship was won, there was the usual celebration, then the handshake line, and then immediately a couple guys came to help me out onto the ice for the trophy raising and team photo. That meant a ton to me that that was their first thought. 

Next week starts the road to the three-peat. Sadly, I'm still off the ice for about another month at the least, and until the end of the calendar year at the most. Hopefully closer to the former ;)

Today feels weird without this beard.... 

xcXtuOFl.jpg

• Like 3

I'm putting this here because it was funny. At practice last night I finally got to talk to this guy who is SUPER good, just glides across the ice and looks effortless. I was like I gotta pick this dude's brain and maybe learn a thing or two from him. I ask him how long he's been playing, normal chit chat stuff, and then he says, "Oh by the way, my name is Steve, but for some reason [our coach] keeps calling me Pat. I haven't said anything to him yet, though." 

I totally thought this dude's name was Pat and apparently I'm not the only one who thought so. 

• Like 3

So I've said it before, but I cannot express to you cats the enjoyment I get from my Sunday skate with the boy.  If you are lucky enough to get the opportunity to compete(I use that word loosely) with your kid, you're winning.  I look forward to it every week, it's awesome, pre skate lockerroom, skate, post game lockerroom(I have beers, no go for him)...,it's something words cannot grasp.  I'm a fortunate dad.  I hope I can do this with my daughter at some point as well.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, EJB said:

So I've said it before, but I cannot express to you cats the enjoyment I get from my Sunday skate with the boy.  If you are lucky enough to get the opportunity to compete(I use that word loosely) with your kid, you're winning.  I look forward to it every week, it's awesome, pre skate lockerroom, skate, post game locker room(I have beers, no go for him)...,it's something words cannot grasp.  I'm a fortunate dad.  I hope I can do this with my daughter at some point as well.

I really can't wait!  Same reason I LOVE playing pond hockey with my girls.

My oldest daughter ('03) played in the local spring women's league and had her first taste of adult hockey.  She really enjoyed the no-drama just show up and play attitude.  They were going to put her at wing, but after scoring her team's first goal of the season from D, had her teammates support and respect for the rest of the games.
The locker room before/after is less likely for us.

• Like 3