Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Finally found a machine that makes cardio fun. Mr. Elliptical and I are now best buddies. Burned 350 calories the other day and they were the easiest calories I've ever burned.

Nothing better than finding a way to burn calories at the club, where you don't just have to endure it....

Nothing better than finding a way to burn calories at the club, where you don't just have to endure it....

Exactly. I was forcing myself to run and hating every minute of it. This is miles better.

• Like 1

If it felt easy then you didn't challenge or push yourself.

Disagree. There are plenty of ways to burn calories... It's not so much "easy" as just not enduring it. Kinda like hockey, burn a chitton of calories and it's fun, doesn't mean it's easy, just something that you're not focusing on the fact that you're exercising. Need to find things like that.

Some people love to run, it's not my bag. I run to train, but it's work. When I get on the bike, it's fun, like hockey.... I can do a monster climb, roadie or MTB & it's challenge, not means to an end.

• Like 2

Disagree. There are plenty of ways to burn calories... It's not so much "easy" as just not enduring it. Kinda like hockey, burn a chitton of calories and it's fun, doesn't mean it's easy, just something that you're not focusing on the fact that you're exercising. Need to find things like that.

Some people love to run, it's not my bag. I run to train, but it's work. When I get on the bike, it's fun, like hockey.... I can do a monster climb, roadie or MTB & it's challenge, not means to an end.

Exactly. I was pushing myself (heart rate was above 150 the entire time) but I was enjoying it, so it didn't seem like work.

• Like 2

Booked my annual trip to Vegas for the 1st weekend of the NCAA basketball tournament, been the last 5 or so years with the same group of guys. Wasn't sure I was going to be able to make it this year because of my broken ankle/leg. Cost me a little more because I booked things later than usual but the doctors said I'll be in a walking boot by then and I've had enough of the cold this winter.

• Like 1

The Mite team I coach went to a tournament this weekend on the Cape. Got lit up the first game, (nerves, different format) and proceeded to play two fantastic games the following day. The fist of the two was a 9-9 tie with the lead being traded back and forth the entire game. It was one of the best games I've ever seen at this level. I couldn't be more proud of the way these kids conducted themselves and gave it their all until the final buzzer. They dropped the second game 9-7, but dominated the last few minutes and had a ton of shots. just ran out of time. Nobody got hurt, kids and parents had a great time. Can't beat it.

• Like 3

Finally found a machine that makes cardio fun. Mr. Elliptical and I are now best buddies. Burned 350 calories the other day and they were the easiest calories I've ever burned.

I found the elliptical to be a bit of an awkward movement. Did you find that, and just got used to it? Or did you never feel that way at all? Just wondering :)

I'm lucky to have several AMT (adaptive motion trainers) at my gym. I like it better than ellipticals since it allows a free stride as if running without any impact on your joints. Used to love running but with an artificial joint those days are over.

• Like 1

I found the elliptical to be a bit of an awkward movement. Did you find that, and just got used to it? Or did you never feel that way at all? Just wondering :)

Yes, it's an awkward movement if you are new to it. I remember using for the first time in college and feeling the same way. Once your body adapts (which took a few times for me) the movement is effortless.

• Like 1

Same as Mojo122, AMT trainer is what I prefer to a regular elliptical. Like you, I find a regular elliptical awkward.

Same as Mojo122, AMT trainer is what I prefer to a regular elliptical. Like you, I find a regular elliptical awkward.

Well, looks like I was wrong. I AM using an AMT Trainer at my gym. I had never heard of that, so I assumed it was just an elliptical. Great machine.

Our U14's won state!

TeamPhoto_zpsiyqzbld3.jpg

IMG_5610_zpss9fzbvrv.jpg

Kenzie-Shawn_zpsyxm4kkji.jpg

and..

Last night was THE most fun game of adult league hockey we had all season.

The other team won 3-1, but we held a tie most of the game.

Awesome puck battles, races up the ice, and goalies on both sides.

6:13am and a morning jog came early after a late game (and getting home at 1am, asleep about 1:30am), but when my teenage daughter wants to hang out, it's worth it!

Edit: A big sister, I must add, who injured her shoulder last spring and hasn't been able to play volleyball or hockey since. The U14 team was "her" team and little sister filled the spot vacated by her and a couple of other girls, and she went to the tourney and was VERY supportive of her lil' sis when she could have been an angry, jealous 13 year-old!

Edited by MThockeydad
  • Like 8

17b0b8c3-8d5b-4ca5-8488-ce559e84bb5b_zps

Final scrimmage to cap off our rookie adult season.

This crew learned an incredible amount in 17 weeks. I'm looking forward to playing with them in league and dropin for years to come.

• Like 3

I was at a local Sport Chek (Laird/Wicksteed in Toronto) getting my skates sharpened and noticed a clearance table of skates. I was shocked at how low some of the high end skates were going for:

· RBK 20K (top of the line about 2-3 years ago) for $239.88

· Bauer Nexus 1000 skates (top of the line 2 years ago) for $239.88

· Bauer One.9 White LE skates (second from the top 2 years ago) for $209.88

· Easton Mako skates (top of the line in 2013) for $239.88

· RBK Goalie skates (don’t recall the price, but likely around the $240 mark based on the rest of the pricing).

11uyoft.jpg

1549gtj.jpg

1xgeu.jpg

b6tyl4.jpg

j8juqx.jpg

Those prices are great as is, but you can get an even better deal by using a team assist coupon for an additional 20% off (those coupons expire Feb 28th so it was perfect timing). I used one of them and bought myself a pair of Easton Makos after trying on a bunch of the clearance models and the coupon dropped the price down to $191 before tax ($215 after tax). You can also collect Scene points if you have a Scene card (Cineplex Movie Loyalty program in Canada) and if you have a Canadian Tire Options Mastercard and use that you’ll get approx. 4% back in Canadian Tire money on the card (Canadian Tire owns Sport Chek and offers 10X CT Money or 4% at Marks, Sport Chek and of course CT).

I've been tempted to pick up some Makos on clearance for the $299 price at Hockeysupremacy for a while now, but with new old stock KOR Shift 2's in the closet and my current KORs in good shape I could justify it - when I was able to get them locally for under $200 before taxes and get them baked and sharpened I couldn't resist. I've only used them to ref a few games to date, but so far I'm very happy with the purchase. I like them so much I'm almost tempted to pick up another pair for a roller conversion, but know that would void the warranty and have read about the durability issues some people have had so I think I'll stick with my Shift 2 conversions for roller until the Mako II's go on clearance (there was only one pair in my size at Leaside anyway and I don't know of any other Sport Chek's that carry the Mako skates in the Toronto area.) and use the Mako's for ice only so they're still under warranty. So far I've had no issues though - I've reffed a half a dozen games in them and haven't experienced the Mako bumps that many people did (I've been wearing the cut resistant Warrior Dynasty socks; so perhaps that's helped).

They also had some sticks on clearance including the Warrior DT2 for $89, a stack of clearance ski and snowboard and winter coats on racks (didn’t look at the ski boots or coats too closely).

I took a few pictures of the skate table that shows some sizes available and the prices. I did not capture all the skates/sizes in the pictures. Other Sport Chek locations will have some clearance deals, but I stopped by three other locations (Eglinton/Warden, Fairview Mall and Promenade) and those locations did not have any high end models available – the best deals out of the four stores I visited were at the Leaside location. I bought my skates late last week, but stopped by yesterday after refereeing a game in the area and most of the skates/sizes were still available. The only skates that had sold out were the TotalOne NXG's I'd seen for around $450 (nothing wrong with TotalOnes, but the other skates on the table certainly offer more value to me as long as you can find one that fits you well. They did have TO's in my size last week and I tried them on, but the Makos felt better on my feet even before baking them; so I would've went with the Makos even if the TO's were the same price).

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

17b0b8c3-8d5b-4ca5-8488-ce559e84bb5b_zps

Final scrimmage to cap off our rookie adult season.

This crew learned an incredible amount in 17 weeks. I'm looking forward to playing with them in league and dropin for years to come.

I'm quite impressed by the number of women there! We have one in our league (two teams).

We have a very active women's league at our rink.

2 of them are veteran women's league players and have been helping me all season--they're new to coed, and they got a LOT faster this season.

3 of them are rookies, one of our other lady rookies was sick.

3 others just jumped in for more numbers on the ice--and to recruit the new ladies into their league. :)

At the other rink where I play coed league, probably 40-45% of the players at the C level are women, and 4 of my 11 teammates are women. One team is 8 women of 12 players and they're leading the league (3 guys are #1, #2, and #8 for points, and their top female scorer is #10--out of 60 total players).

• Like 1

FCC did the right thing today! They voted to adopt net neutrality rules to protect the open Internet by reclassifying internet access as a Title II public utility.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/02/26/389259382/net-neutrality-up-for-vote-today-by-fcc-board

Now if we can just get the damn cable companies to stop throttling our internet. Can't wait for Google Fiber.......

• Like 1

17b0b8c3-8d5b-4ca5-8488-ce559e84bb5b_zpsFinal scrimmage to cap off our rookie adult season.This crew learned an incredible amount in 17 weeks. I'm looking forward to playing with them in league and dropin for years to come.

Damn am I sorry that's over. What an incredible experience. I can't say enough about the fellas that put this together and week after week made it challenging and fun. And now I can say without any reservations:

I'm a hockey player.

Thanks Shawn.

Made such a strong impression at my interview yesterday that the woman I met with said, essentially, that as soon as I get my driver's license a job with them is as good as mine. (now to practice driving with 12 feet of snow piled on every corner.)

Then came home to find I won a new pair of skates in a contest. Sweet.

• Like 3