Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Ballistik 45 Caliber

Reviewer Stats: 6’2”, 190lbs. Jr. A defenseman

Last sticks used: TPS R8lite, Easton Synergy ST

Stick Stats: Ballistik 45 Cal, TC Curve, 90flex, Grip

Initial Thoughts: The stick was waiting for me when I got back from the Chowder Cup. After a strenuous effort to unwrap the sucker, the initial impressions were very positive. I like the looks of the stick, more so than any other Ballistik model, for its clean graphics and single color paint job (kind of a carbon/stealth grey with silver lettering). It plays along nicely with the military names like “Combat Sports” and “45 Cal”. There was some slight bubbling under the paint in two locations, but these are purely cosmetic and effect performance in no way. I'm a fan of the shaft shape as well. All in all, great looking stick.

First Playing Experience: Took the stick out last night to an informal open hockey session that one of my friends organized. When taking shots the stick kicks very nicely, however I did notice in some cases it seems to take a little while to load, for instance when making long, hard passes. The stick is listed at 465 grams, while it does feel a little heavier than my R8lites (435g) it is a nice weight, feeling solid rather than heavy. Feel has been good so far, and I like the rubberized grip resisted slipping.

Should be on the ice again Sunday to update.

Another quick update after another open hockey session: stick feels very solid in the best of ways. Feel isn't top-notch but nothing to sneeze at. The blade is certainly thicker and maybe a tad softer than my TPS's, but it takes passes and handles the puck well. I've gotten a few paint chips on the heel after roughly 3 hours of play, but they are quite small. Flex feels consistent, slapshots are hard and accurate.

I got a couple of comments from my buddies as well about the looks of the stick, somehow without crazy graphics or wild paint jobs it has attracted some attention. Ballistik isn't unheard of here, but it certainly is rare. Everything I've heard the past few days has been positive.

More to come after the weekend.

Been out of town at camps and try-outs, finally back to post. The stick has been #1 in my rotation for two weeks of heavy use (at least 2 hours of ice for a week straight of that span) and, as well as it has played, has developed a crack on the heel of the stick. It look similar to the way that CNTs used to hollow out at the hosel.

I'll put pictures up soon of the problem.

This heel has suffered some pretty bad chipping. It started as a small crack on the hosel and has spread and hollowed out. I used the stick all the while in pretty intense competition, and was very pleased with its performance.

100_0422.jpg

100_0423.jpg

The rest of the blade has pretty heavy chipping and scratching as well. The stick was a pleasure to use until it started to fall apart.