Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JR Boucicaut

The Softball Thread

My team is looking into getting a bat, just wondering what you guys have used and liked.

Looking at either getting a demarini or easton stealth bat

Depends on what you want. Anything DeMarini is going to have pop I'd imagine, but I haven't seen/used an approved one so I'm going off reputation. I have a Stealth and I like it, though it's not one that's going to add any power. Great bat for spraying the alleys though.

Don't mean to 'jack your bat thread...but starting a second is just silly.

I saw one of these at National Sports today.

Worth Prodigy

$69.99 (or $79.99...can't remember). Looking just now online, I've seen them between $119 & 139...

It's gotta be better than the $40 Easton "Hammer" that I've been using for 2 years.

I'd probably go for the 26 oz/34"

Decent bat for a guy who isn't that great in a not-that-competitive league?

I picked up a Miken Freak off of a friend to use in my company league last spring.... LOVED it, however- my first at bat in an actual game.... ump leans over and says "You're not using that..." so I had to give it back to my buddy. I guess there's "questionable eligibility" of the bat.

So I went out and picked up an Easton Synergy Extended (SCX3)... hated it for the first month, but after break-in, the ball would just launch off of it. I think the Extended is a discontinued model, so you'll be able to find it a hell of a lot cheaper than I paid ($259).

sidenote: I found it funny while the ump gave me hell about stepping in with a Miken, yet I used an Easton Stealth +, which clearly reads "NOT ASA CERTIFIED" on the barrel... funny how a reputation brings out the best in people.

... I'm sure you know this already, but just don't keep your composite bat in your trunk (if you go comp.)... the heat, and dry summer air will dry the hell out of it. A teammate wasn't too happy when his $300 bat caved in because it was dry as a bone.

I have always used the TPS lineup. I haven't screwed around with comps yet. I love their aluminum bats though. Call me traditional I guess, but thats what I have used since I was 15 and able to play for my pop's company team.

http://www.slugger.com/slowpitch/bats/dynastyxxl.html

If you can find them, Easton Black Magic bat (circa 2001)... great aluminum bat. Nice lead-bead loaded "Mother load" end cap, great pop..

They had those for softball? Damn, I remember guys still using them in college because they're essentially sledgehammers. I'll go with the oldschool EA70s.

Those Black Magic bats were awesome! Still pretty easy to find as well.

I've always been a TPS user though. Had the same C405 Jimmy Powers model for the last 6-7 years. This was before they implemented all those intense model names and graphics....mine is just black with white lettering.

Ditto on BK's vote for the Dynasty XXL. Great bat!

Edited by davis

They had those for softball? Damn, I remember guys still using them in college because they're essentially sledgehammers. I'll go with the oldschool EA70s.

the softball bat was the same... like I mentioned, it had the loaded end cap for more momentum in your swing. I'm a horrible batter, and that bat made me look good on numerous occasions.

I have always used the TPS lineup. I haven't screwed around with comps yet. I love their aluminum bats though. Call me traditional I guess, but thats what I have used since I was 15 and able to play for my pop's company team.

If you can find them, Easton Black Magic bat (circa 2001)... great aluminum bat. Nice lead-bead loaded "Mother load" end cap, great pop..

I think I still have one of those swimming in my gear closet :)

Honestly, all the sluggers I have used have been hammers.

Not to go off subject but I am surprised at how many MSH members play softball. JR should set up a MSH softball game or something.

I think I still have one of those swimming in my gear closet :)

Honestly, all the sluggers I have used have been hammers.

Not to go off subject but I am surprised at how many MSH members play softball. JR should set up a MSH softball game or something.

Hell yeah! I played softball two yrs ago...1st base, straight John Kruk-ing it with some Skoal, Red Man and Big League Chew.

Any other beer league softball enthusiasts here? I haven't played in a few years but decided to get back into it and signed up for a Sunday morning hangover coed league. It obviously won't replace beer league hockey for me, but it's a fun summer thing to do and it's a chance to drink some brews and hit on chicks who probably dig on chicks.

Edited by Doctor Hook

hah, last time I played rec softball it was intramurals... Last game I played I accidentally "felt up" a girl on the other team and then she hit on me after the game.

Seriously, who stands on 1st base when the ball is in the outfield? She cost me a triple... stupid little slut.

I've been in a couple and in my experience it sucks balls to be in these leagues. Maybe it'd be fun if you played with friends, but I've only been on company-sponsored teams and we would get lit up by ringers. After the humbling "Oh I played college ball, I'll kill this league" ass-whippings, it just got mind-numbingly painful to try and watch our company get killed.

I played inter-department for the university last summer. Despite being an engineer, i played with the Computer Science team since a few of my friends were on it. I'm kinda glad though, the Mech.Eng team was a bunch of drunk assholes, their pitcher would not stop making comments that were in very poor taste.

Had a good time most games, practices, dinners after the games, etc.

He was a drunk, cocky asshole and a few of our players weren't what you'd call "star athletes" and were from Asia and the Middle East, fill in the blanks.

We debated calling the campus police on him. Public drunkenness, lewd behavior, having and consuming alcohol at a University event.

I started a team a yr ago and am continuing this yr. Its coed and I love it. Theres no better way to spend a hot summer night than loaded on the diamond. Only the girls stay sober the entire game but the guys are usually a mess before the game starts. We got "kicked out" of the playoffs by a technicality of not keeping score properly even though we won enough games to crack the big show. We're all students but play against financial companies with guys (and hotties) twice our age.

We also play right on the lake (near the base of CN tower) so that also makes for a great atmosphere too. Starting that team was one of the best ideas I ever had, and Im surprised softball isnt more popular with younger ppl.

Also - if anyone wants some team names - here's some of the ones we scrapped that I can remember:

Three Base Grace

Foul Out Boy (my choice but we all hate the band so didnt go for it)

The Brew Jays (so cliche)

The Wonder! Pets

The Baulk Socials

lol, i played in a red eye this summer in Cold Lake, like a 24 hour tourney, there was a concert and a band but i dont remember much of it.

our team name was the master batters, always clutch and never fails. It was pretty sweet because there were hammered girls there that were in their 20's and i am only 15.

I have filled in on softball teams but I actually play competitive baseball during the summers so I never have been part of a team before.